“Beware of the Biting Ants in the Bed”
Review of Edelweiss Inn

Edelweiss Inn
Ranked #33 of 33 Hotels in New Braunfels
Reviewed 13 November 2007

We thought we were lucky to get 2 king rooms just a week before our arrival because so many thousands of people come to New Braunfelsl for the 10 days of Wurstfest. (That should have told us something.)

The Edelweiss is old and looks fairly decent. The rooms are large and, at first glance, fairly clean. The key to our room didn't work. The 2nd key didn't work. The 3rd key worked. We did not know the key didn't work until we were leaving for Wurstfest because a maid had our door open when we arrived. We had quite a struggle getting the desk clerk to assist us. He told us to go head to Wurstfest and he would have a key ready on our return. Our response that we would not leave our room unlocked for several hours while we were gone was met with rolled-up eyes.

After returning from Wurstfest, I read until 2 am. At 5 am, I was awakened by an intense itching on my upper right arm. As I groggily scratched, I felt something crawling on my arm and my tummy. I turned on the light, Hubby sat straight up, demanding, "What's the matter!"

"Something's crawling on me!" I jumped up and started shaking the bed covers and my PJs. A HUGE bug fell off me onto the sheets. "It's a SPIDER," Hubby yelled.

I managed to get my eyeglasses on. "No, it's an ANT!" I picked up my pillows. A nest of huge ants circled in a frenzy right under my pillows! As you might imagine, my sleep for that night was done. I sat up and read until the office opened.

At 7 am, I gathered up some of the ants I had - against all my beliefs in the sacredness of life - squished the daylights out of (some of the little strugglers required 5 or 6 squishes - ugh!!) and marched myself down to the office.

The taciturn man at the desk, who seemed to be on duty 24 hours a day - he was the only employee we ever saw, except the 2 maids - said, "Thank you for showing me this. We just had our exterminator out last week. Here, let me throw that away for you," as he grabbed the eyeglass cleaner cloth I had used for the ant display, and hurried into the back room.

I had already photographed the ants, the bed, and my swollen, itching arm. "What do you plan to do about this?" I asked when he returned.

"I will tell the maintenance man. Thank you for letting me know," he replied as he backed out of the room and disappeared. I wanted to jump right over the counter and pursue him, but I couldn't get my body to cooperate, so I thought, "Just wait until we check out!"

My companions were soon ready to be on our way. I walked back into the office (where, by the way, as you open the door, a fake duck starts quacking and quacks every time you move; AND, as he did yesterday, the desk clerk keeps the stereo blasting loudly - about as loud as standing by a gas-powered lawn mower. I am pretty deaf, and the volume was hurting MY ears.) I covered by ears, then pointed to the speakers and made turn-down-the-knob motion with my hand, which he ignored.

"Have you adjusted our bill for the inconvenience and stress of my being bitten and harassed by the ants?" I inquired.

"No, I did not. You got a very good rate, as it is," he stiffly replied, dismissing me.

"Well, Sir," I continued, "I want you to know that I write reviews for travel websites, including TripAdvisor.com. You will be receiving publicity on those sites, and it will not be the type of publicity you will want."

The desk clerk replied, "Thank you very much. You are doing a good job."

Our room (#205): Besides the problem with the key and the problem with the huge, biting ants, there was wallpaper over obvious water damage; toilet paper stuffed in a crack over the archway between the bed area and the lavatory area; some brown substance smeared on the white-painted brick wall near the door; and the window was dirty.

There was a whirlpool tub that costs $10 extra to use (we didn't). When I opened the cabinet under the sink, the whirlpool motor was there along with lots of dust and dirt.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank VadaliaSpeaks

Reviewed 13 August 2007

My girlfriends and I planned a shopping trip in the New Braunfels, Wimberly and Gruene area so we picked this hotel because of the price and location. I looked for reviews and could not find any on the hotel website and now we know why. We were given a very stinky smoking room(even though we booked a non smoking room) and when we complained we were given an even more stinky room. We complained again and the desk clerk said "Guests smoke in their rooms even though they aren't supposed to." We showed her that the 2 rooms she had originally given us were smoking rooms...DUH. We finally got into a room that was non-smoking and there was so much needless furniture in it that we had to squeeze around the beds and there was a loveseat next to the bed but you could not sit on it without putting your legs on the bed it was next to. The phone did not work, (but we did get early wake up calls both mornings even though we did not request any), we found grape stems under the bed, there was and ironning board but no iron(even though I specifically called ahead and asked if they had an iron in the room). We went to the front desk and requested an iron and they gave us an iron that was so burned that it would have ruinned any piece of clothing that we would have ironed. The bathroom had no door but it did have an ugly curtain dividing the vanity area from the bedroom. We did stay the two days that we booked but we will never stay again and we will definitely tell anyone who will listen about our negative experience.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Texasroyalty
Reviewed 9 July 2007

Very nasty and run down. Booked online with hotel website. Found it originally on hotels.com and found that it was ceaper to go through the hotel website itself. Pictures were nice online, however when we got there it was a completely different story. The room smelled bad, the lamps were coming off the wall, the bathroom had sunflower seeds all over the floor, there was hair in the tub. And to top it all of the hotel owener was rude and unfriendly from the very start. We complained and he still made us pay for the 1st night. We stayed for the night and paid for 1 night, but left and stayed at another hotel for the rest of our trip. This hotel would be great for truck drivers and contractors, but not reconmended for families or people wanting a clean relaxing vacation. For just a few more dollars there are a hundred hotels in the area.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank familyintx
Reviewed 11 July 2006

I couldn't believe what happened here...

First off, I have stayed at assortments of hotels from 5 stars to 1 star hotels so I know how things are. We were just looking for somewhere to crash for a night prior to going to Schlitterbahn the next morning. We saw Edelweiss Inn from the access road and it had a European/Danish look to it and we thought we would stop by and check out the rates. Most of the hotel rooms were going for $99.00/night and this place was $56.99/night (should have been my first clue).

The office smelled funny...I can't put my finger on the smell but it just didn't smell right. Second tip off that I should have ran the other way is there was an old lady with smudged mascara working the front desk. I tried not to be judgmental and went ahead and asked to see a room. The room she showed me looked and smelled fine...furniture looked like it was from the 1980s but in good condition.

We checked in and went to our room. On the way up the stairs to the room, I saw an old, dust laiden air conditioner sitting on the side of the stairs (third hint I should have ran the other direction). We opened the door to our room and it smelled like smoke. I turned the air conditioner on to see if the smell would vacate...which it did not.

The television was like 20 years old, I'm not kidding. The room looked like a setting out of an old mystery movie...I could have shot a murder mystery in that room.

Then I did my usual bedsheet check in which I strip the bed of the covers and examine the sheets (I know these hotels do not change the sheets every time in between guests). Sure enough...I found black marks on the sheets (like someone had put their shoes on the bed) and a stray hair. That was the finally straw.

I went down to the office and asked the lady if she would be offended if we checked out. I explained to her nicely that the room was just too "quirky" and I was bothered by it and told her about the sheets. Instead of apologizing and allowing me to check out, she went to the room and glanced at it and told us that we had already messed it up. Messed what up? We used the bathroom once (the toilet to be exact) and I pulled down the covers to examine the sheets. How is that messing up a room? So I asked her if she wanted me to remake the bed...to my disbeliefment...she said yes. I made the bed to the best of my ability just so I could leave this hell hole.

The lady told me that if "he" (I don't know who 'he' is) would have been here that he would have still charged me. There is no hotel business to this day that would stay in business with this type of practice.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. Pay the extra $30+ dollars and get a decent room somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2006
8  Thank BellaDonna2007
Reviewed 30 May 2006

Here is a completely honest report and is of factual events.

I was part of a group of people who stayed at Edelweiss hotel memorial weekend 2006. we had a few different people who booked rooms individually. the quoted price on the phone was $89/night to everone who called. when it came to check out, the price of each room was all of a sudden raised to $129/night.

After getting nowhere with the manager, one of my friends called the police over. When the police arrived the manager produced several signed rooms slips showing each persons signature and a price written in of $129/night at the top of the slip (looked like all with the same pen).

When the two persons who had the rooms in their name signed in, they had signed a slip that just had the rooms listed and number of nights, but didn't list the price. the NEW $129/night price was written in by the hotel AFTER THE ROOM SLIPS WERE SIGNED! Isn't modifying a signed document illegal? Unfourtinaly, my friends did not get copies of the slips they just signed, which would have showed the signed room slips had been modified.

The manager also told us and the police that they NEVER give an $89/night price. Implying that we were lying or heard wrong (mind you that several people in our group were individually quoted the 89/night price over the phone).

The police really couldn't help us since this was a civil matter.

After the police left, I was talking to another person NOT in our group who had just checked out. She said that she had just paid $79/night. She was also pissed because they tacked on an additional chrage of $10 more per kid, which was not quoted over the phone).

Now, if Edelweiss NEVER gives out a room less than $129, how did this lady I just talked to indeed have the room for $79. The manager/employee obviously lied to the police that "they never charge lower than $129/night". I wish that other customer was there when the police were.

If a business that serves the local population acted in the way the Edelweiss Inn did, word would get out quick about them and they would loose all their local business. I'm thinking that the only reason this place is still in business is that they mainly deal with unsuspecting non-locals. Hopefully this review via TripAdvisor will help others avoid Edelweiss Inn and not go through what we did.

• Stayed: May 2006
12  Thank Pablo C
A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2005

I always stay at this location while my family camps out at the river. Although it doesn't have all the most modern furniture - you get your money's worth. Other places in the area charge you $25 to $50 more a night for the same room. Executive Inn was $25 more expensive and they had the same identical set up as this location just a little newer. The Executive Inn had smaller bathrooms. You get the same brand of shampoo, soap and tissue. You get the same attention from the staff, the same coffee units, refrigerator, microwave, tv with cable and a roomer dressing area. I have always consider the front desk as friendly and courteous as ever. Since I have been staying here numerous times off and on for the last 8 years, I can't help but feel these other reviews must have hit this establishment on a bad day. The Front office has always gone out of their way to assist our family's needs in every way possible. Please give this location a try if you do not want to pay extra just for spending the night in town during a quick visit to the sites.

Stayed: May 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Reviewed 10 November 2004

Don't stay here. Front desk manager was extermely rude. This hotel needs to seriously reconsider who they hire to work the front desk. We were very insulted and will never recommend this hotel to anyone.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member