“Very nice pool, great location, not a $300 hotel”

Courtyard by Marriott New Braunfels River Village
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in New Braunfels
Reviewed 22 July 2014

While I was working in Austin, my family stayed at this outstanding hotel. I was able to launch my jet-skis just across the road and play all-day in the river with our friends that came in to join us. The property is set up very nicely with the river set very nicely behind the hotel. The spacious and inviting reception area made you feel welcome the minute you reach the front desk.

The room..........I was very surprised to see the black around the vent in the ceiling (see picture) and how dirty the walls were. I know this place gets a lot of visitors, but spend some time and clean the obvious. Our deck was very small, but big enough to open and close the door and review the river.

We ate several times at the restaurant with very good results.

The Pool.................Extremely dirty. We were there for four days and after the third day I was tired of seeing the same stuff floating in the pool and asked the front desk to have it cleaned; never happened.

The Friday and Saturday night entertainment was very good and fun.

I see that the price was around $300 for most guests. I was able to get my corporate rate of $109. This is a $200 hotel. I understand they mark it up for the great location, but for $300 you can go to the Lost Pines and get better.

Overall, I would go back for the $109 a night.

Room Tip: All rooms with balconies have great views of the river. Look for discounts.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian K
Keith M, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New Braunfels River Village, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Brian K,

I apologize about the wall and vent issues you may have encountered. I have informed our housekeeping and maintenance department and they are making sure that our property is in tip top shape.

Our pool hours are 10AM-10PM so that our maintenance team may treat the pool and keep it clean. We made a beach where our property meets the river. With heavy summer traffic, sand from down at the water, and other factors, the pool may get a little dirty. I apologize that you experienced the pool in such condition and I assure you that our maintenance team is keeping an eye on it.

Our summer rates are the rate they are because of all the ammenities we have to offer such as water activites, volleyball, giant jenga, our River Grill on weekends, our Bistro restaurant that serves breakfast and dinner, live music on weekends, etc. So we are glad you were able to enjoy some of that!

The Courtyard Marriott Management Team

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed for two nights July 9 and 10th. the hotel is very nice and clean. The beds are very comfortable. We stayed in a 4th floor room that overlooked the pool and had a limited view of the River. The balcony is small but the views are nice. The only issue I had with the room/balcony was the A/C drained onto the balcony leaving a blackish green scum on the concrete. I think that the drainage just needs to be rerouted in some way to keep it off the balcony. The second day we had a really great time on the noon Rockin' R boat trip. The quide was training someone new and we were by ourselves. We received a lot of information about Lake Dunlap. I recommend that everyone that visits take the boat tour. We also enjoyed floating behind the hotel it was a great way to enjoy the river without tubing! We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Top notch! Our stay started at 11pm with two giggling girls. We were loved our stay!! This was the nicest places that we have ever stayed at ! The view was awesome and the service was a+
We will plan on our vacations starting and ending here!
So family friendly
Close to all of the water attractions
The river is less than 5 miles and
Schlitterbaun is even closer

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Kim G

Dear Kim G,

Thank you for taking the time to review and rate our property. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay so much! As a Platinum award winning hotel, we pride ourselves in customer service and are so glad you were able to experience it!

Isn't being on the water where we are such a perk?! Also being right on IH35 puts us so close to all the hot New Braunfels attractions which is so convenient for our travelers.

We'd love to welcome yall back to our hotel the next time you are in the area!

The Courtyard Marriott Management Team

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed one night with my family and a group of my daughter's friends (teenagers). We were looking for a place to relax a bit and enjoy the local activities. The hotel is very clean and has a great pool and river access. WE also went and floated the Comal River (about a 5 min drive to the tubing place). Then for dinner we went to Gruene and the Gruene Dance Hall (about 10 min away).
The hotel staff was very friendly, the rooms and entire property was very clean, this property is probably the nicest Courtyard I have ever stayed at... and I am a Marriott Elite member, so have stayed at a lot of them over the years.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the pool and river... great rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed June 27-29, 2014. Although a little expensive, it met our needs for a family reunion. There is a restaurant on site and a gathering rooms with a large-screen TV. We had six rooms either king or two queens. The king rooms were not suites, but they were large with small night stands, two phone, a desk, sofa and coffee table. There is free wife. Rooms also have a small fridge, but no microwave. Linens were nice, bed was wonderful. Resort was on the river and had a small area roped off for swimming. The river got deep fast and was not good for children, but they had free small float boats and rafts for rent. There were tables and chairs around the grounds with plenty shade. The children enjoyed the pool. If you are looking for a place to gather a group this is a good one. We went to Gruene and ate at the Gristmill (of course, in the summer, there was an hour's wait), but we love Gruene. Staff was very friendly and eager to please. I would go to the hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room (on the back side).
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Keith M, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New Braunfels River Village, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Greatgrandm0ther,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our property. As a Platinum award winning hotel, we pride ourselves in our customer service. We are glad we held ourselves up to that status again for your family reunion!

The portion of the water we are on is Lake Dunlap so it does drop off. We put up some buoys in the water to indicate where it does drop off. With all the water sports set up with Rockin' R it does make for some good swimming, kayaking, and stand up paddle boarding!

We would love to welcome you and your family back to our property the next time yall are in the area.

The Courtyard Marriott New Braunfels River Village Management Team

Reviewed 13 July 2014

AC unit in bedroom worked intermittently. Noisy guests. Hot tub sucked( not fully operational!) Swimming area is 8X18 approx., not much larger. No one availiable to rent tube or kayaks ect. Had to pay for breakfast and I paid $400.00 incl./ tax for the room. Pool was jam packed with screaming kids. Mix matched cushions on sofa! would not pay any more than $200.00 foor that room in the future. Which means the other smaller rooms should be no more than $150.00. and not a penny more. wanted to make an impression for my girl. the only inpression i made was I wasted monies that could have gone to something else for her. My advice, go with another hotel! don't waste your money

Room Tip: The lower priced ones would be the only one I could recommend. don't waste your time with anythi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike G
Keith M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New Braunfels River Village, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Mike G,
Thank you for your recent review. Please accept my personal apology for the unacceptable stay that you experienced at the Courtyard New Braunfels River Village. As a hotel that consistently performs in the top 10% of the Marriott Courtyard brand, a recent Marriott Platinum Circle hotel, a Marriott Diamond General Manager recipient, a featured hotel in Texas Monthly (June issue), Best place to stay in Comal Count 4 years running, and numerous other awards, I can assure you that your experience is an isolated incident. My apology on behalf of the noisy guests, unfortunately as you know we cannot control the disrespectful behavior of others. As much as I wished we had the ability to control others unfortunately we don’t. It would make things much easier as we would not have as many complaints that are out of our control. As for the pool and spa, I was personally on site during your stay and to my knowledge the spa was and is functioning properly. The pool is actually a 40,000 gallon pool and I can assure you that it is much bigger than 8’x18’. I do apologize that the pool was packed with lots of youngsters, but we are a very family friendly hotel and we typically experience this during high demand weekends. In regards to the breakfast not being free…the Marriott Courtyard brand is the only brand outside of the full service Marriott’s that does charge for breakfast. We do offer breakfast included rates that you could have booked. The cost of the room was clearly conveyed at the time you booked the reservation and we do realize you have the choice when booking your reservations. As you can see by our Trip advisor rating of #1 we are clearly a top choice to many travelers that visit New Braunfels. As for the rentals through Rockin R who is an off sight third party river outfitter, all I can do is apologize on their behalf that they were not available during your stay. We do not control their business and staffing and only offer this as an added amenity that they are responsible for. Again, I apologize that we failed to provide you the best experience possible. Please feel free to contact me at 830-626-4702 to discuss. Best regards…Keith Morgan, General Manager.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I can not say enough about this hotel. We loved it! My girlfirends and I went for a weekend trip and thoroughly enjoyed this hotel. From the moment we arrived to our departure, we appreciated all of the extras this hotel offered versus most hotels. We stayed in a fantastic queen, balcony, river room and will gladly pay the price again, but even the grounds, the restaurant, the interior lobby area are appealing to the eye and highly funcitonal. Yes, the true purpose of our visit was to shop (sorry hubbies), but we spent the entire afternoon the first day at the hotel enjoying the pool and the grounds. Yes, we came on a vacation to a chain hotel and ate our first dinner there relaxing on the backpatio :0 Yes, I just announced that last statement to the world, but true. I am very impressed.

Room Tip: Spend what you can, as the view is well worth it. If not enjoy the outdoor area, it is fantastic.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LyndaSugarLand

LyndaSugarLand,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and your recent stay. We are so glad that you and your girlfriends enjoyed your weekend with us! With being located on such an amazing piece of land, we are able to make our Courtyard feel like a resort. We are glad that yall were able to take the time to enjoy everything we have to offer.

We can't wait to welcome you again the next time you're in the area for a weekend of shopping!

The Courtyard Marriott New Braunfels River Village Management Team