“Cute cottages, perfect Gruene location!”
Review of Gruene Cottages

Gruene Cottages
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay in the Pecos room for the most part. It was cute, clean, spacious and walking distance to Gruene. We did have an issue the first night but the manager was wonderful and made up for it when we checked out. The only things we didn't like about the grounds were the steps. They are not marked well. There's a little bitty step right out of the door that we all almost ate cement just about every time. Other than that, it's a great little place and we will definitely return!

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed 3 November 2012

I'm glad I splurge on this cottage. I booked the Sweetwater as it is the only cottage left (we were there for Tour de Gruene). It is only a half mile to the downtown area (little shops and restaurant). The cabins are fully furnished (at least ours). It has kitchen utensils- more than what you will need. Towels and basic toiletries are provided I was surprised they have Aveda products!

Things I like:
1. Great location
2. Fully furnished unit- washer dryer available outside- just buy your own detergent.
3. Nice ambiance- play area and pool
4. Soooo clean. The sheets smells soooo good and towels are clean.
5. Love love the mini-jacuzzi in the bathroom. It helps specially after 35 miles of rolling hills bicycling.
6. Park in front/side of your cottage.
7. No check in needed. Just punch in your 4 digit access code.
8. Fast Internet - free.
9. Up to 4 people can stay- but it'll be too crowded.

Negatives:
1. You will hear the train - it didn't bother me but my husband can't sleep because of that.
2. The main office is in another location (The Gruene Mansion).

My overall stay is simply fantastic! No doubt we will come back. By the way- no pets allowed.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mjpatterson
Reviewed 23 February 2012

The best thing about our cottage was the comfortable King size bed (a comfortable bed is our top priority when on vacation!) and the large jetted tub in the bathroom. The cottage was clean and well-kept. The futon sofa in the living area wasn't too comfortable but not a deal breaker. (We didn't use it as a bed, only as a sofa.) They had nice TVs but no DVD players. We didn't use the pool or playground because of the weather, but they looked nice and well-kept. We had an issue with the hot water heater while we were there, but the owner impressed us with her sincere apologies and a discount for our stay not being perfect the whole time. We would stay there again, despite the water issue, because of the way she handled it. Excellent customer service in the face of unexpected problems makes all the difference...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tracy043
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Clean cottages with comfy beds. Pool is excellent for learning swimmers-- 5ft at the deepest and 3ft on the ends. We were in Pecos, offering a full kitchen with full size refrigerator, stove, microwave, etc. You *could* sleep 4, but I don't recommend it. The futon is like sleeping on the floor, so avoid it if you have back problems. Tub is large enough for a full size (over 6ft) man. Outside was very nice and well-kept. It's in walking distance from downtown Gruene, with shopping and Gruene Hall for live music.

Room Tip: Take two people off their listing for accomodation-- if it says 6, it's 4 comfortably.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2011

My husband and I met up with family and stayed for several days here. Both our cottage (the smaller Sonoma cottage) and the larger cottage with a kitchen where the rest of my family stayed (Comfort) were cozy, clean and had very original/well-thought out decorative details without being over-the-top or too kitch. The property had some great amenities, including a pool and playground for kids and multiple bbq pits. It was also close enough to walk to downtown Gruene without being right in the middle of all of the noise-- I slept very soundly the entire time I was there. It's also a great central location from which to explore the hill country. While there's no restaurant on the property, it is close to lots of good places (it is run by the same family that runs the Gruene Mansion Inn, and you can arrange to have breakfast there). There are refrigerators or kitchens in all of the rooms, and we found it really convenient to be able to cook and keep our own food. Everyone in my family-- from granny to my toddler nephew-- was quite happy with the place and we would definitely go back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2010

I rode my bicycle from North Central San Antonio to Gruene, TX and stayed at the Gruene Cottages. I stayed overnight in the "Sage" guestroom. The friendly staff at the Gruene Mansion Inn (which owns & operates Gruene Cottages) allowed me to check-in early and seemed genuinely interested in ensuring I had a great stay. My guestroom is one of the smallest available but it had wonderful charm and I enjoyed a relaxing evening after a long bicycle ride. Free WIFI allowed me to stay connected to friends/family. The cottages are located south of downtown Gruene so it's a decent walk if you want to go back into town. That distance from the hustle and bustle of Gruene, especially on a weekend when parking and traffic congestion can become an issue, provided the perfect opportunity to enjoy some tranquility.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo