“CLOSED”
Review of Texas Harbor Seafood - CLOSED

Texas Harbor Seafood
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: It was an old closed down Quizno's. I was in the mood for seafood and thought I would try this place. What a pleasant surprise this was. A large menu with more than seafood. Fried fish, broioed and baked items, steaks shrimp, oysters and calamari.The mpst interesting item on the menu , for m,e was the calamari appatizer.I have had calamari just about everywhere adn never had it better than this placwe. The calamari came to us perfect. It was fried and very tender, not like most place where it was li9ke rubber bands. This was the best ever!! I also had the oyster po boy and the dialy special which was two huge planks of fried fish..about 2 inches wide and 9-10 inches long and about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Again it was perfectly cooked. I had fries, which came with it and a drink. Thge Po Boy was full of oysters, tomatoes, onions lettuce and a suce that was great.
New Braunfels, TX
“CLOSED”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

There is a little Mexican restaurant there now. Don't when they closed but I will miss the varied fish plates.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank CJHollandNBTX

New Braunfels, Texas
“Great little place!”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We first visited here back when it first opened & have ate here several times since then. The staff are SUPER nice. They allow us to sit & look over the menu as long as needed before ordering..no hurry at all! They have a set menu but they told us we can change it up to fit our needs if necessary (i.e. if we want all but one item, they'll substitute another item). They also served frog legs. We haven't been there for a while so I'm not sure if they still serve them so that's why I said "served" instead of 'serve' b/c I'm not quite sure if they still do.

It does take a little while for your order b/c they cook it when you place the order...nothing already cooked & waiting so it's always fresh. They make their own breading according to the owner/manager and it's SO very delicious! We normally order catfish & shrimp which comes w/a slice of white bread, fries & a vegetable. They give you a TON of fries..actually it's more of a mound but we usually end up leaving half our fries b/c we just can't eat them all. I feel bad about that b/c I hate wasting good food & we all know, reheated fries at home just don't taste good. We got 2 catfish & 6 shrimp so we usually split it all up (between me & my husband) and that's really more than enough for us as they serve big jumbo shrimp & the good-sized catfish fillets...oh so yummy! One thing though, they also serve 'white fish' so if you want catfish, you have to tell them when you place your order, otherwise they'll give you regular 'white' fish (like pollack or cod).

We haven't tried any of the other menu items. We seem to miss the frog legs when they serve them (and again, not sure if they still do) as I think they serve them on certain days but again, not completely sure since again, it's been a little while since we last ate there. But they have EXTREMELY yummy tea. It's the best we've ever had at any restaurant. I think the soda machine wasn't working when we were there but the tea was, we usually get tea or water anyway.

All in all, please don't pass up this little gem. Although it's small inside, this little restaurant packs a big punch w/homemade flavors, great friendly service, and a substantial amount of food for about the same prices as other restaurants in the area...the difference? Texas Harbor is just better than the rest in our opinion!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank cecilschick
South Texas
“Great seafood and friendly service.”
Reviewed 29 June 2012 via mobile

Ate here for the first time today - it's a small restaurant, but clean. We tried the fried fish, oysters, and an appetizer of fried zucchini - it all tasted great. The staff was super friendly. We'll definitely be back.

2 Thank PadreGirl
New Braunfels, Texas
“Seafood might be great, not the Burgers”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We did not have the seafood.

Most of their seafood is either fried or breaded, not our forte.

The burgers were ok, not extraordinary. The hubbie seemed to enjoy his, I did not. Specifically asked for no mayonnaise due to intolerance to egg based products. It had mayo, a very thin layer, looked like it was put on and then scraped to fix their mistake. Buns were soggy and oily.

Fries tasted and looked like they came from the supermarket frozen department which was a serious burn. For a place that fries so much seafood, would have thought they had home made fries.

After I detected the first tingles of egg allergies and realized that the burger had been fixed with mayonnaise, I was not offered another burger or a refund. Mostly, was charged 2$ for a large cup of water. Must have been the cashiers mistake when the hubby asked for 2 large drinks, she did not expect I would go for water, thus it got charged. Was too wary to even ask for that 2$ back as we got out of there as my stomach was seriously churning from the mayo.

Over alll, we will not go there again as it was a bad service.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank SweetSilver2004
San Antonio TX
“Not ready for Prime Time”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Our experience at Texas Harbor Seafood was not such that we will return.

We went with a coupon and ordered the Two Fish/Shrimp and Two Catfish/Shrimp Plates.

Also ordered the Jalapeno Bombers.

Sides were Green Beans, Onion Rings and Cole Slaw.

The only thing that was truly good was the Shrimp. They were very flavorful and of a good size.

Their choice for white fish is Pollock. We got two long (literally around 12"), narrow and thin strips. The texture and flavor of the fish just wasn't there.

The catfish was passable, but not what we would expect out of a seafood restaurant.

The Green Beans were straight out of a can with nothing added.

Onion rings were, by my judgement, the frozen variety.

Each bomber was half of a jalapeno, not a whole one. They were ok.

The tartar sauce was not home-made and just didn't muster up for what you would expect to find in a seafood joint.

They were not very busy when we were there...only us and one other table. There were several dirty tables and when the other people left, the table was not attended to. There is no reason for those tables to be left unattended.

The prices are very reasonable...almost too reasonable. The only way I can see them making it with such low-priced fare is by sheer volume of sales.

Finally, the decor is poorly executed.

The overall experience just didn't make the grade.

Best of luck, guys, but we won't be back.

• Visited April 2012