“Don't do it!”
Review of Gypsy River Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Braunfels
Gypsy River Resort
Reviewed 8 July 2008

Ok, there may be a reason why it filled up last. First, don't even bother reading the rules on thier website, the only rules that stand, are the ones printed at the campground....We misunderstood that we couldn't not bring our own tubes, so no big deal. Just plain greedy is how I see it, because we even offered to pay to take out or put in, and they said 'NO'! But, only some of the campers can put thier personal tubes and blow up water beds on the river. We were told that we couldn't even take our tubes out to blow them up, nevermind even taking them near the river just to lounge on. Our neighbors had tubes inflated laying around thier campsite, but we were asked to deflate our tubes that the kids were just sitting on at our campsite. They don't enforce the quiet atfer 10pm rule. Oh, and after you pay $45 per night, you also have to pay for the showers, the toilets keep stopping up. We had friends that had the RV spot, but couldn't hook up to the sewer drain because it was placed so far away....imagine that! There are no grills, so take your own. They watch you like eagles when you come and go, so maybe there might be a road usage fee..who knows! One thing that I do give the campsite is that it is on a good spot of the Guadalupe River.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank 58mistyt

Reviewed 30 September 2007

My family has stayed at Rainbow Camp in New Braunfels, Tx many times over the past 20 plus years. We enjoyed the location to the "chute" and the facilities at the camp.

Early February '07, I booked 2 campsites for 3 nights in July '07. I paid the entire amount at booking -as required - to reserve our campsites.

The summer rains came and the river started rising! Due to safety concerns we decided to cancel our "float trip". Rainbow Camp did not close due to high water, but the owner told me the river water was within an inch or two of breaching his compound!

I had a written signed contract with Rainbow Camp which specifically stated that cancellation 10 days prior would result in a 50% refund. My cancellation request met this requirement.

I called the owner to notify him and I also sent him a cancellation letter. He told me he would mail me a 50% refund check. However, his bookkeeper told me they would keep all of my money.......and they did!

Therefore, my advise to future campers is to NOT make your reservation very far in advance. Your plans may change; the rain may come. It won't matter if you have a written signed contract with Rainbow Camp's management - they will still keep all your change!

Good luck getting a campsite that you want - if you don't book ahead!

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank TexasTravelMan
Reviewed 3 April 2007

this is truely a hidden treasure campground in the hill country, the new owners have continued the great human skills that san jud monty and toby thedog had. they truely care about you having a good time. there shower facilities are clean and there place is so quiet and peaceful. event though they all drinking it is only allowed with maturity any riff raff are not around. there fafts and tubes are new adn top notch and they are the comptetitive in price on the river, if you truely want a texan hillbilly experienced go to rainbow

Stayed: April 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
kilgore, texas
Reviewed 27 July 2003

We were so delighted with Rainbow Camp. The owners were very friendly and helpful. We pulled in exhausted from a water park, and they were helpful in many ways. The location is perfect for children becuase there was shallow water, a little rapid area, and wonderful cliffs and boulders to explore. My husband could trout fish, the kids could play safely, and I could enjoy the spectacular view. We plan on returning every year!

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member