“Great Family Place”

Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in New Braunfels
dallas
“Great Family Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2007

We stayed here for three nights to conclude our summer fun. The location is great - right on the Comal River. The "cottages" are just that- basic sleeping and eating. Nothing fancy - but good basic accomodations. I loved that there is no TV (although there is a cable for access if you bring your own). The inside of the horseshoe shaped property is fantastic - tree covered horseshoe pits, volleyball court, swings, seesaws. picnic tables and barbeque grills galore. All cottages have private balconies overlooking the river- town is walking distance. Great place to make great family memores.

• Liked — location and outdoor amenities
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank travelfamilyDallas

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
houston,tx
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2007

We rented a cottage just this week and i was so dissappointed. The cottage is old and dirty. I could not believe the condition on the bathroom...The pots and pans were horrible I would not even touch them. There were dead bugs on the window sills, kitchen cabintes were filthy...

The location its self is great but its not worth the stay. I check out the resort right in front of us and I was amazed how clean and big the condo was. And that place was just $2.00 more per night then where we stayed and they had a built in pool. I believe that was Camp Warnecke. I would stay there next time. This was our first and last stay at "The Other Place"

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank lovetotravel1203
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2007

I stayed her with my 10 year old daughter. Nice and relaxing.
Short walk to the water park

• Stayed May 2004, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Bsims
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2006

There are 3 things to consider when it comes to real estate and the same 3 things apply when it comes to "The Other Place." Location, location, location.

The accommodations at "The Other Place" are average. The room we stayed in was clean but this is definitely a "no frills" sort of place. Our room included 2 double beds and a sofa-sleeper. It was pretty cramped and I can't imagine it being very comfy if 6 people, the max allowed for that room, stayed there.

We didn't really miss having a TV but it would be nice if they had TV's onsite for rental. (Perhaps the owner hasn't thought about the additional income TV rentals could generate.)

The thing we did miss was a microwave. Why this resort hasn't added microwaves to their rooms is beyond me.

Overall, I believe The Other Place is in need of a bit of an update. The feeling my husband and I got was that this resort is a cash cow for someone and they aren't going to go out of their way to make improvements.

The reason I would consider staying there again is simply because of its location on the Comal River and its proximity to Schlitterbahn. We truly enjoyed the beautiful view and the convenience of the way the hotel is situated in a horseshoe on the river. There were plenty of shallow water areas for our kids to play in and it was fun to watch the tubers floating by. It's also right across the street from Schlitterbahn, which is very handy. We liked being able to pack our beach bag and head out on foot to the water park.

The Other Place pros and cons:
Pros
--location and view

Cons
-- No microwave, no TV (not necessarily a con for us but might be for some folks)
-- The office is open from 9-5. I have no idea how a guest would handle things if they locked their key in their room, which I almost did.
-- Guests have to take out their own trash and tidy up at the end of their stay. On the last night of our stay we received a note about check out procedures. Basically, they want guests to leave as little work as possible for the clean up crew. I personally didn't appreciate the threat of additional charges if the room was left in need of "extra cleaning."
--The girl who handled our check out needs to take a class on customer service. She didn't ask if our stay was ok or anything. She didn't even bother saying "thank you."

**Be prepared for the New Braunfels "occupancy tax!" The taxes on our $130 room came to just under $17 PER DAY.

5 Thank ImmaCritic2
houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2005

This is the second time we have stayed at The Other Place Resort and me and my family love it. The location is close to everything yet secluded enough to enjoy the peace and quiet along along the beautiful Comal River. All units have a shaded patio that faces the river and we enjoy relaxing on the patio and feeling the breeze. The kids love the playground on site as well as the contained swimming area along the river. Since we love to cook, we enjoy the full kitchens so that we can have family meals "at home". I highly recommend The Other Place Resort for a perfect family get away.

11 Thank geds