“Reservations”
Review of O'Henry's Hideaway

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Braunfels
O'Henry's Hideaway
“Reservations”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Plan this vacation in middle of March and had to cancel it in the first week of April. It took them awhile to contact me after I made my reservation and when I canceled it I did not get any of my money back. I feel they had enough notice to be able to rebook that spot since we were not going in July. Horrible business! Will not camp with them or make any reservations with them ever agani.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mandy8510

Solo
Business
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We were a party of 12, we went there on a Memorial day long weekend, we reserved two campsites, they said it was a three day minimum charge and we agreed to pay for the three day although we wanted to leave after two night stay. When we got there they cramped us into a single campsite, argueing and shouting at us that we can pitch two six people tents in that one campsite, and said if we decide to leave have to still pay for the first night. The toilets lacked tissue paper and you pay 75 cents for the showers. We still stayed only because all the other campsites were full. We ended up paying extra for two campsites and 3 nights. There is this crazy old man who shouts at you for the smallest reasons, the Lady manager has sudden bursts of temper and shouts at you for no reason. I agree its a busy weekendand sometimes the rush could get to the staff's head, but that doesnt mean they have to lack respect in dealing with the customers. We paid money to be shouted at, being cramped into a single campsite. If OHenry's staff reads this I suggest anger management classes for you all.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank KALIA007
League City, Texas
Reviewed 25 July 2009

I was looking for something fun to do for my husband's birthday. Decided that a RV trip to New Braunfels would be fun. At the last minute (a week before our trip), started looking for availability for an RV site. Called MANY campgrounds on River road. Ms. Pat Henry @ O' Henry's Hideaway took the time to talk to me (unlike many of the others); told me to call her back if I did not find anything-she was booked up. She even gave me the number to another campgrond I had not called yet. That campground was full-so I called her back and she took my name number etc. and told me she would call me back if someone canceled. She was EXTREMELY nice. Late the same evening, she called and told me she did indeed have a cancelation! A collegue also wanted to come up with their family. My friend called and again, Ms. Pat took her info. Ultimately, my family and my collegue's family ended up side by side! What a great experience! This was our first time RVing. Really enjoyed the kareoke (sic) on Saturday night. The site was clean; the people at the store were friendly, helpful and funny! Ms. Pat and Mr. Owen (or Mr. O as we called him) keep a tight rein on the place. No shenanigans allowed! That reasurred our party-my collegue has young kids and we had a couple of teenagers. We did not experience any of the rudeness some of the other reviewers discuss. At the end of our stay, Ms. Pat made a point to come by in her golf cart to ask about our time there. We were very impressed with her caring attitude. Would definitely recommend this campground. Our daughter and her friend took showers @.75 per 5 minutes. The showers were clean-could clearly smell the bleach that had been used. We walked right out of our RV across the grass to the tube rental and put on the bus to take us to the place where we put into the river. The river current was EXTREMELY slow-I would check it before coming next time. Our friend did not get to the campsite until 1:30 in the morning-had never driven their RV along River Road at night (very winding road). Mr. O kept in touch with their family as they made their way up the road to the camp and then opened the gates for them-over and beyond what our friends expected. Volleyball was big entertainment at the camp. The teams that play take their games seriously and alot of people just pull their chairs up and root for the players. It was a very relaxing time. Bye the way, the place gets PACKED during the weekend! We got there on Thursday evening and stayed until Sunday. The store has EVERYTHING you need-especially Shiner Boc in the cans (no glass on the river)! The RV sites sit right in front of the volleyball and kareoke pavilion. At first I was concerned that it would be noisy all night-but everything calmed down around midnight (even on Saturday night when they were packed). Very shaded RV sites also.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Meander48
Lovinrvin
Reviewed 27 May 2009

My family just purchased a new travel trailer and decided to go on a mini vacation. This was the worst campsite we have ever been too. There were hundreds of cats that urinated on all of our stuff. The bathrooms did not have any toilet paper or paper to dry your hands not to mention they were disgusting!!!! The staff were some of the rudest people we have ever met (to the point that they yell at you for simple requests!!! The sites were not level and were littered with trash. They lied to us when making the reservations by telling us we had river view when actually the river was across the highway and about 500 ft away.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Lovinrvin
forney
Reviewed 22 July 2008

The campsite we stayed on was barely big enough for our tent a table and a grill and the river was a good walk away. While on OUR campsite my husband was in his bathing suit, speedo like shorts, when the owner came over, and very rudely spun him around and told him to put more clothes on. Whatever, but okay.

Then later that evening after returning from the river, we stopped to play volleyball and karaoke, then once again 2 of us girls were wearing bikinis and we were once again told to put on shorts right now!

There are many ways to approach people, even if you own the place try some professionalism or even just plain niceness.

They are old, rude, bitter trash. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.

• Disliked — rude, rude, rude
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12 Thank ForneyPicky
Georgetown
Reviewed 11 June 2007

We camped at O'Henry's a couple of summers ago. I think it was recommended from a friend. . . It's not right on the river, but across the street - which might have actually been a better thing in the long run.

Lot's of trees and shade. We had a pretty neat campsite. I was there with my 10 year old daughter and her friend so I was concerned about safety. . . However, there was a pretty good mix of nice families and college age kids - most of them on good behavior, so we felt just fine.

I didn't encounter the staff much, that I can remember.

I liked the fact that you could drop your tubes or floaters in the river, right across the street and schedule to be picked up and brought back up to the camp site when you were ready to get out. There were signs clearly posted on the river to let you know when you were to get out if you wanted a ride back to camp.

Over all, it was a plesant expirence - there's probably much cleaner, nicer places to camp in that area, but for the money and location to the river, it's just fine in my book.

Stayed July 2005
2 Thank Benedicted
Conroe, TX
Reviewed 24 July 2006

To All Interested:

Having recently spent a disappointing week on the Guadalupe River @ O’ Henry’s Hide-a-way I felt that others should know of the rudeness (almost to the point of assault) and lack of professionalism of the O’Henry’s Staff.

At the time I was enquiring about the campsite, It was my understanding that there were tent sites on the river and the RV sites were across the street so I made reservations for 2 RV’s and 1 tent.

My son who was camping in the tent arrived earlier several hours before the rest of us. He asked where his site was and was told that he would be next to us in the RV’S and that there were no river sites. When we arrived my son had rented a tent site from another campground that was on the river and we received a refund for his portion of the O’ Henry’s campground fee which was fine with us. I was also quite disappointed with our campsite because it was on a side hill and not level enough for a travel trailer.

Later that evening my son and his wife came over to camp ground to eat dinner. Shortly an elderly gentleman from O’Henry’s staff informed us there was a 2 hour maximum limit for guests at the campsite, so my son and his wife finished eating and left. We did notice a sign posted that read “Visiting Hours Over @ 9PM"but nothing about a 2 hour maximum.

The next day we went to the river and returned around 6 PM and again my son and his wife come over for dinner. Immediately the elderly man came over and angrily informed us that my son was here to use the volley ball court and karoke (of which none of us had any intention of doing in the first place) and would have to leave within 2 hours. We talked a little while and he agreed that we would pay the additional person charge of $5.00 per person and they could stay. During the conversation the subject of the 2 hour limit sign came up again and the man said that it was posted on the building.

A little later my daughter went to O’Henry’s Store to get a bag of ice. As she was standing in line to pay for her ice, the elderly man asked her what she was looking for. She told him that she wasn’t looking for anything, just waiting to pay. He questioned her again and she told him the same thing. He then grabbed her by the arm and pulled her outside and pointed to a sign that read “Visiting Hours Over @ 9PM” and another sign below it that was totally illegible, that he claimed said Limit 2hr maximum. My daughter told him that she thought the whole matter had been settled and there was no point in talking about it anymore. He immediately went back inside, demanded $10.00 from the cashier, handed to my daughter and told her to have the guests leave right now. My daughter refused the money so the man left and brought the money to me at our campsite.

When the man arrived @ our camp site he was extremely angry and shaking as he spoke. He handed me the money and demanded that my son and his wife leave immediately. I tried to talk to him but could see that he just got angrier, so I left it alone and my son left with his wife.

Although I understand O’Henry’s not wanting to loose the campsite money ( which was rented to another person anyway) I feel that the staff overreacted to this situation, has no respect for family values and employs irrational people. I also feel that the guest rules should be posted on there web site along with the other rules.

Tom Davidson

#2 of 17 in New Braunfels
Hideout on the Horseshoe
Hideout on the Horseshoe
#7 of 14 in Canyon Lake

Been to O'Henry's Hideaway? Share your experiences!