“scam!!!”

Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in New Braunfels
San Antonio, Texas
“scam!!!”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

so I visited this "resort" this past Tuesday as amazon had a trip deal, after calling THREE times to verify that the tickets included were for 2 days and both parks I ordered. I got all information directly from schlitterbahn as I am a firm believer in getting information straight from the horses mouth, and all 3 times was told all parks and attractions were included in the package price. the day of arrival my husband and I get to resort to get our passes and lo and behold we were told not only was only one park open but it was only a THIRD of the park! the desk clerk marked a few attractions that she said were open as well (but they werent!) and there was only 4 rides that adults could use. when we returned to "resort" I called the front desk and asked why we weren't told ahead of time of closure and was told the STAFF was unaware of it so they were giving information as they had all summer, had I been made aware I NEVER would have purchased this deal as it was the same price as if I had just purchased 2 adult 2 day passes at the peak of the season! now the room, while roomy I would suggest NOT using the couches as ours was wet smelled of dog and was stained so bad I was worried of what was on there! the internet didn't work properly at all, and the train was really close! we ended up perched on a bed watching tv thru the bedroom door. I think the good reviews have to be written by a employee because this place was no where near as nice as stated! even as I write this I know its a waste of time because nothing is going to be rectified, but I hope that future purchasers buy with caution because their own staff is either seriously lacking in the information department, or they are actively scamming people out of their hard earned money! either way please beware the special they run at the end of season is not worth it save your money and go to splashtown, where ALL the rides are open! after waiting all my life to go, I was left disappointed, dissatisfied and disgusted!

Room Tip: choose elsewhere to stay
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Kathryn H, Director of Lodging at The Resort at Schlitterbahn, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
texasrose4u2c,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience at our resort. We value all guest feedback and would like to hear more about your experience. Please contact me directly at khamil@schlitterbahn.com.

Kathryn H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I'm actually writing this review as I lay in my bed at the hotel at schliterbahn. It's sooo bad I had to write it now! The location of the rooms are right by the train tracks!!!! The train runs by about every 30 minutes! And it's very very very loud. It's sooo bad that I would think schliterbahn would have to tell the guest before they book the room that there is a train that runs by every 30 min. It's literally about 30 steps from the front door! I'm in shock really! Plz take my word for it!!! Do not stay in the older section of the schliterbahn resort!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Leslieromo
Kathryn H, Director of Lodging at The Resort at Schlitterbahn, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Leslieromo,

Thank you for your recent review. I'm very sorry that the train disturbed you throughout the night. The Resort at Schlitterbahn does have a train track that neighbors the property. The City of New Braunfels has instituted a quite zone, meaning the train cannot blow its whistle at the crossings nearby, but you can still hear the train occasionally. There are many other rooms that are not near the train tracks. We hope you choose to give us another chance, maybe in a different room next time! As always we hope you were able to create memories with your family while visiting our park. If you have any other comments or suggestions please feel free to pass them my way at khamil@schlitterbahn.com

Amarillo
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We went on a family trip with my sisters family. There were 9 of us and the reservations online were super easy. We stayed 2 nights and had a blast. Really love that we can start playing in the park even before we can check into our room. We were also allowed to stay as long as we wanted on the day of check out. We will be going back for sure, it's the very best value for a family vacation, so much to do!

1 Thank Texas0617
Texas0617,

Thank you for your recent review! I'm so glad the reservation process was smooth and that the room fit your needs! We have so many different room types that you are guaranteed to find something just for you. The Unlimited Stay and Play package is a wonderful value and provides you with the flexibility to enjoy your vacation on your own terms. Hope to see you again in 2015!

Denton, Texas
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I've been going to Schlitterbahn since I was a kid, and now I love sharing it with my family! We make it an annual tradition to trek down to Schlitterbahn once per summer. We haven't stayed in the park in about 5 years until this summer. It really reminded me how nice it is to be close to everything, and come back to the resort for lunch or breaks. There's no need to scramble in at park opening and fight for a table in the shade to keep all of your belongings, and dragging in a cooler, etc.

Room
We stayed in a one bedroom unit with a full kitchen in the original section of the park. We were fortunate to get a nicely updated room and be close to the office, one of the resort pools, hot tub, shuttle and all of the activities. The location could not have been better! The wifi worked great too!

Resort Activities
I was pleasantly surprised with the extra resort activities they offered for the kids. Each night there was a scavenger hunt, cooking smores on a campfire, and a movie on a large screen outside with free popcorn! The staff working the evening events were really friendly.

Water Park
What can you say about the water park? There's no other park like it in the world! It truly is amazing and innovative. They've been adding to it for years, and are always coming up with something fantastic. I love that the park is family owned. I think that it really shows, or maybe it's just because it's a little nostalgic to me, and I feel like I grew up with the park too. :-)

We had a wonderful time this year and are already looking forward to next year!

The only improvement I would suggest is some better system for changing out park wristbands each day. It's a bit chaotic in the mornings in the office trying to get your new band. The line was pretty long (and this was on a Monday morning)...people were cutting in line, getting frustrated with each other, etc. I'm not sure what the fix would be, since I know you need a new one each day. Maybe just give them out all upon check-in. They are already all pre-paid for and included with the resort stay.

4 Thank GoHeeterGo
L0ve2Travel_H,

Thank you for your recent review! I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed your trip and the room! We love the suites next to the West Wing pool and the nightly activities. The Waterpark simply cannot be beat! The wristband process does in fact need some work and our management team is working hard to find a solution prior to next season. We hope to see you again in 2015, maybe even sooner! The season isn't over yet!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This is our 5th or 6th visit to Schlitterbahn New Braunfels but our first to stay on property overnight. I used a Amazon Local deal that gave us a room with kitchenette, a two queen bed bedroom and park entrance for 4 for two days for $179. This is like getting either two day park entrance or a hotel room for free. The room also had a fold out full bed so we added to kiddo friends for $32 each including two day park entrance. At this price, it's an unbelieveable deal. You also get early access to the park and late access on BOTH days. More about this below.

Our room was a downstairs unit (431) in what they call the gator section of the resort. Just a hop skip and a step form the Cliff Hangar tube ride final plunge and the splash pool of the Der Bahn Speed slide if you know the park. It had been redone probably within the past 3 years and was clean comfortable and very well equipped. All the kitchen goodies we needed were there, just bring charcoal for the grills if you want to use them. With the couch folded out, the main den/kitchen room was pretty cramped but who cares everyone is sleeping. The bedroom passes through the bathroom and opens to a large covered back porch shared with three or four units on ether sied fo you. There's a pond right there full of feedable fish and turtles. Grills and picnic benches are 10 steps away and sit next toe theCliff Hanger final slide so that's fun people watching.

They also do free S'mores every night from 7:30-8:30 and family friendly movies with free popcorn at 8:45 every night.

They have the process really well organized. You are allowed in the Blastenhoff side of the park starting at 9AM on both days of your stay day, however, on your arrival day, you have to checkin to the resort and pick up your park wristbands over at the resort (original) side of the two parks. So you go to the resort when it opens at 8-8:30 check in, get your waterproof room keys and wristband and park in the main lot and take the shuttle to Blastenhoff. They will start letting you in around 8:45 and you can rush up to Master Blaster and get in line as that ride line gets cray any day at Schlitter.

You can go directly to your room at 4pm (no need to go back to the office) and you'll get two parking passes if needed. After the park closes, you are allowed to stay and ride the Boogie Bahn at Surfenberg for an extra hour. This is only a so-so perk because being the only ride open after hours, it gets back to its daily line pretty quickly, you may get two or three rides in before they shut it down. It would be great if the lazy river in Surfenberg stayed open that extra hour as well. Also I don't know how carefully the ride operator was monitoring that those still riding had the resort wrist band. You also get access to several pools and hot tubs in the resort area until midnight but no lifeguards are there.

Staying overnight and having two full long days at the park makes your visit more enjoyable in that you don't have to run and get in the next line. You can pick and choose what line you want to deal with or just plop down by the lagoon. We were there on a Monday and Tuesday on the last weekdays the park was open before school started and it was the most crowded I had ever experienced, and I've done last day of season and last Sunday before school stars, and this was the busiest. Since we were there two days the pressure to ride was less. We even rode rides we had never tried before in 6 previous visits. However, I could see if this was my first visit to Schlitter, the lines might get frustrating. But even crowded, Schlitter is a great time.

See my other reviews and videos on Schliterbahn for more info.

Room Tip: Get in a building that faces the river. There are some buildings that are bordered by parking on eac...
1 Thank My_name_is_Paesan
My_name_is_Pae...,

Thank you for your recent review! You mentioned so many wonderful things where do I start! The convenience of being next to the park cannot be beat. The extended ride time at Blastenhoff each day really helps you and your family experience the best we have to offer prior to the crowds. The nightly activities have been so much fun this year! We love seeing everyone around the campfire in the evening and at the movie at dark. We hope you've found a new home away from home for your future Schlitterbahn trips!

See you around the park!

Round Rock, Texas, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Went with children and grandchildren. Ages 1 to 60. There was something to do for all ages. We are planning our trip next year. Staying on site provided so much convenience that it allowed us to have more time to relax.

1 Thank Ruth R
Ruth R,

Thank you for your recent review! We love that our park has something for everyone - children of all ages and adults that are young at heart! The location cannot be beat. We hope to see you again in 2015!

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We just got back from a great trip! We stayed in room 1421 of the Schlitterstein Lofts. This particular room had a nice view of the Comal, not sure what the other lofts had for a view but it appeared some had more trees blocking the view of the river than others. We only had 1 set of steps to go up (nice for coolers and bags), and never heard anyone above us, not even sure if there was anyone.

Covered and gated parking. A little tight in a full size SUV, but just don't get crazy and take it slow.

Upon arrival the ice machine was empty, but a call to the front desk and they brought 2 bags over within 10 minutes.

The room was bright, nice appliances, and clean. The only suggestion to management might be to do a little more mopping of the tile floor and not just sweep (tile all throughout the loft). I say this only because if barefoot it did not take long before you feet were dirty. Mix kids, white sheets, white comforters and dirty feet and well ... Ya know.

If you bring you own coffee, bring regular size filters. They do provide coffee in pre filled packs... We just like really good coffee! They even provided nice paper Togo cups with lids! Nice touch!

There are trash bags, a broom, dust pan paper towels, dish soap. We brought dish washer and washing machine soap pods which came in handy. A Swiffer Wet Jet would have been a nice option! (Again wet swimming suits, or 1 melted ice cube mixed with dirty feet and it gets a little ugly on the tile.

This is our 4th trip to Schlitterbahn, we have done local hotels and even a 45' coach, the lofts were worth the money! We brought a friend and his 8 yo son with us (5total) and the loft was very comfortable.

Ahhh the wrist bands... Management, please be creative find a solution. This is Goofy at best and honestly frustrating. For over 600 per night, we should have lines eliminated and convenience maximized.

The shuttles worked. (Might suggest increasing pick ups to once an hour instead of every 2) We chose to drive over in the mornings 0845, park in the right in the front (get wristbands errrr) and walk in to get a great shaded place to put our stuff. We brought a Valuable bag, and non valuable. Midday we took the shuttle back to the loft to eat and nap and left the cheap bag on our table, then came back for the evening, still had out spot and played on! When it was over we had out truck right in front and grabbed a bite to eat in the way home. Worked well for us.

The bedroom doors have locks, no one told us, and the code is 0000 to get in your room. (Kids locked it) We called and they again had someone there in less than 10 mins.. Not sure why they did not give us the code over the phone. All good.

Our AC in the room was awesome!! Super cold and felt great! It was leaking some water in the bedroom floor which added to the previous mentioned foot prints. Not a biggie and in Texas we deal with high humidity and condensation issues all the time. Might just be a clogged drain. Did not care as long as the AC was cold and it was!

Bed were pretty comfy (even the fold out couch which I napped on once.

The patio is great! Huge, and has a ceiling fan! Ours had a little annoying tick tick tick, but we left it on to move our thick Texas Air around. At night the lights on the trees make a great atmosphere to wind down with a drink. We brought a Bluetooth radio (not too loud) enjoyed watching the late night tubers and even a scuba diver.

There are no curtains on the massive back door walls (two sliding doors) so with the staggered buildings if someone wanted to, they can look in and see about 20% of your living room if they are in the balcony next door. Our neighbors did not, but we did think a curtain might be a good option.

Overall, 5 people, 3 nights, $2k, it was worth it! I'm sure the treehouse rooms are great and staying in the park is a benefit. But if you want a great room under 1500 a night, quiet nights, a view of the river, this is it! Nicely done Schlitterbaun!

PS: Do the 1 hour add on in the morning to ride the Boogiebahn with the instructor. WELL worth the money, ($20 per person) the instructor was funny, helpful and nice! Worked with the little guys and the old ones! LOL! He even took our GOPRO camera down in the bottom for us to take some great shots we would not have had! It was 7 people total and the longest you had to wait was maybe 3-4min. We did this on the last day and wish we did it every day!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Kevin P
Kathryn H, Director of Lodging at The Resort at Schlitterbahn, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Kevin P,

Thank you for your recent review! I loved reading all of the good information in your review. You brought up so many good points - one of them being the wristband process. Our management team is working to find a better solution to the entire process. If you have any other suggestions or comments I would love to hear them - khamil@schlitterbahn.com

See you around the park!