“Bring wallet not your motorcycle”
Review of Rio Raft & Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Braunfels
Rio Raft & Resort
Reviewed 11 August 2009

We made reservations for thursday thru sunday when we phoned the office I told them I would be arriving in toy hauler with our Harley. I was informed WE could not ride in park I told them we were bringing it to ride the hill country they said that was great. Upon arrival two persons in office took our info asked for license plate info gave them both truck and Harley the woman gave me a rules agreement which I signed after discussing the Harley they both said as long as we do not ride in the park everything was good. After settling in unloading we had supper decided to go for a ride before we could leave after being there for three hours security shows up to tell me Harley has to be outside the gate in front not by our campsite so after trying to explain my conversation by phone and upon arrival we were told it had to go or we have to leave! you say I would have left remember the agreement on arrival NO REFUND FOR EARLY DEPERTURE nor if your asked to leave but the next day friday a toy hauler with a KTM motorcycle shows up parks it under the RV awning upon asking security why that was HE said he is not riding the KTM don't know if its harleys or maybe hispanic with a harley and tattoo's I hope not ! They sure liked my money though I don't recommend this place if you're a BIKER

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank podbiker

Reviewed 24 March 2009

This was our first trip to Gruene/Saddler; our daughter's third trip. She spoke of the peaceful relaxing environment this place provided. She was right on; even though it was spring break the place was large enough that we did not feel cramped and open enough that noise was never an issue.
We had cottage #9A (two bedrooms-1King, 1Full). Would of been nice to of had a queen bed. The kitchen has no supplies, but we knew that and brought our own. TV had cable so the guys kept tabs on NCAA basketball tournament in between their trout fishing excursions. Gruene is approx. 10 miles, so we drove in for Market Days (awesome) and Dinner (Gritsmill/Mozie's). Overall, our weekend trip was Awesome!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2008

Don't get camp site 16, Every other camp site has a large shady tree and camp site 16 has a dead one.
We booked months in advance and somehow got the lamest spot on the site.
Get 15, 14, 13.
They are close to the bathrooms,
And far from the dumpster.

They have separate rooms for showers and bathrooms,
The showers do have hot water so that's a plus.

There is water and electricity hook up.
But don't leave the water running,
We overhead on one of the security guys radios that someone had left their water running,
And they simply said "Charge them for it"

There is a security guy going around on a golf cart,
Which is nice when you don't have a lock on the tent or anything to hide your valuables when you're at the water park or on the river.

They can be kind of rude,
They'll go around looking at the camp site,
Making sure everything is secure and safe,
But instead of simply approaching you and telling you what needs fixing,
They'll radio in the office right in front of you saying what needs to be changed.

The river is just a walk down the hill,
So when it gets hot you can always just walk down the hill and sit in the river a bit.
Figuring you're staying on the property you'd think that they'd give you a cheaper rate on tubes for the river,
Nope, it was quite pricey,
And just down the road we saw signs for shuttle and tube for only 10 dollars.
I felt kinda ripped off on that part.

There were no mosquitoes when I went.
I also went during the first weeks of the season,
So I'm sure they sprayed,
But no bug bites was a huge plus.

There is a picnic table to enjoy your dinner on.
A gravel spot to park your car.

The place is more functional than scenic.
But over all it wasn't a bad experience,
It could've been a lot worse.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 5 August 2007

For my buddy's birthday in July, we scheduled (at a higher rate) a weekend (3 night) trip for over $1000. Since the river was closed, we had to reschedule. The only date we could get back down there when the river was open was this weekend and they could only fit us in on Saturday night, yet they still charged my buddy the same $1000 price. It's a nice place, but they were rude about the whole deal and wouldn't even offer any kind of discount or future reduced rate or anything. For $1000 per night, this place should have been a 4 Star Resort, and it's not. They couldn't even take us to the drop-off spot to raft. We had to do everything ourselves. Do yourself a favor and keep searching for another place.

3  Thank byronwg
Reviewed 23 August 2005

The cabins here are extremely clean and neat. Each has it's own wooden deck that has a view of the river and a grill. They have a little store with reasonably priced tubing essentials, snacks, and drinks. They have a tube rental that drops you off for varying length tubing trips and you float back to the resort right past your cabin.

• Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank callamonster
Reviewed 29 July 2004

Stayed at the River Valley Cottages and it was wonderful. Very peaceful setting with great view of the river. The people that work there were extremely helpful. Can't wait to return there next year.

15  Thank jkbjb