“Relaxing ride and away from the city”
Review of Hollow Tree Ranch

Hollow Tree Ranch
Reviewed 14 March 2017

For less-experienced or first-time riders, this is definitely the place to go. For those more experienced, it may be a little too slow and laid back. Quality of staff and horses would be hard to beat. Nice way to experience the local countryside and there's even a play area and picnic table to enjoy a lunch if desired! Jeff is an outstanding individual and strives to maintain a top-notch experience for his guests.

Reviewed 15 August 2016

Our family enjoyed our trail ride, up until my daughter was kicked in the leg by a horse.

Accidents do happen, but the treatment and lack of care was appalling. Nobody asked if my daughter was ok. I had to ask for ice - the owner went into his home to get a ziploc with ice cubes, he walked back casually swinging the bag. I don't think they have a first aid kit. I asked for antiseptic or something to clean the wound. I was given a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, but no paper towels or cotton. When I asked for some towels, I was told to just pour it over her. The owner seemed pretty cavalier and uncaring.

To add insult to injury, the owner took his time explaining that it was our fault. The accident happened when the horses were led back to an open area and we were all waiting to dismount. The owner explained that one of my daughter's horses was too close to the other and didn't like the other horse. The horses seemed far apart to me (More than 6 feet apart), but what do I know, I am a beginner. I also was not aware of the horse relationships. The owner suggested I take riding lessons to better understand what was going on.

In my mind, its the ranches responsibility to communicate and make a safe environment. We were pretty open about beginners. We trusted them to guide us in a safe way.

Turns out, my daughter was not the first person or even the second person to get a kick. She may have been the 10th, according to the owner. If this were my business, and if I cared about customer safety, I would consider leading the horses to the area in a more organized way, and certainly investing in a first aid kit. Oh yeah, helmets too (they don't offer them because it was "too much of a pain").

We had to take my daughter to an urgent care for X Rays. She is on pain medication and will need crutches for a while.

After I posted a review, the owner called me to see how my daughter was (i mean protect his business. A little late to express concern I think. But not too late for you to do something different with your vacation. If you do decide to go, there's a nice urgent care about 10 miles away. Good luck!

4  Thank ShariLeighton
Reviewed 31 May 2016 via mobile

It was my first time to do horse riding, a friend recommended this place to me and I called for next day reservation, Jeff is a great cool guy and has a great friendly family, they welcomed us and accepted to provide us with extra horses since couple of our friends decided to join us. He gave us informative learning sessions and didn't let us start till he made sure everyone can handle it, his daughter led the ride and she did great job. While we were doing our trail tour Jeff took two of our kids (3 years old) and let them try riding the horse with him, he was so great giving the kids the exciting tour.

If you wanna spend couple of ours in nice place with great surrounding nature give this place a try and let Jeff make it a great time for you.

Reviewed 22 May 2016

This was an excellent, relaxing experience. Hollow Tree Ranch is staffed by warm, friendly people, from the owner on down. (This includes several surprisingly professional, knowledgeable youngsters who help out!) The horses are outstanding and responsive. The ranch is surrounded by a very pretty area to ride through. The ride in general is taken at a pretty slow, calm pace; it would be fun to have an area to let the horses run for guests who are comfortable on them, but I'd guess location and liability play into that lack. The ranch appears to do lessons and day camps for general riding, jumping, and maybe trick riding. (In the latter case, I saw some equipment that seemed like that to me, but I admittedly don't really know anything about it.) Check around for regular Groupons that help greatly with the cost.

Oh, and for those who keep track of these things, the porta potty near parking area is your sole option.