Gruene Homestead Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Quality Inn & Suites(New Braunfels)
Comfort Suites(New Braunfels)
View Hotel
Sleep Inn & Suites(New Braunfels)
View Hotel
All reviewsb bfront porchtable spacetamalesthe main housebar with live musicdouble sinksnicer roombed breakfasthill countryback porchgirls weekendceiling fancomfortable bedssilotavernaccommodations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I while traveling through the Texas Hill Country stayed here for 3 nights since Gruene is centrally located to some of the towns we wanted to visit. Amanda, the woman at the reception desk was very kind and informative. Our room was tastefully decorated, comfortable, and spotless. The bathroom, recently remodeled, included a spa tub and double head shower. The grounds are beautifully landscaped with many interesting antiques. Now to comment on some past reviews. Yes, there is a bar on the property which we enjoyed visiting. We never heard noise from the bar but I guess if you have a room right next to it, you may hear the band on certain nights.The bar closes at midnight so it's not like it goes on all night. My only complaint of the bar was the selection of wine. Being that the Inn sells bottles of good wine I wondered why the bar doesn't offer glasses of the same. Not good if you enjoy your wine. The pool was always clean. It is located next to the tavern but as for privacy, you're not at home, you're on vacation with other people around. I found it to be more private than large hotels or resorts. Besides, there are not many places in the area that have a pool, so lay back and relax. As for the wifi not working, give me a break. Go out your door and sit on the lovely porch and it works fine. It was explained to us that since some of the buildings date back to the turn of the century, the building materials can prevent the wifi signal to get through. Security gate? Really! Lock your car and door if you are so worried. If the door chain didn't work you should have informed the owner immediately. I am certain it would have been fixed. The entire staff are very attentive to any and all needs. Breakfast is included in the price of the room so I thought the price was good and not as expensive as other B&Bs in the area. I will admit, the breakfast was not the greatest, but definitely better than any hotel breakfast. It was always warm, fresh and inviting . Again, the staff were attentive to all needs.
The location of the Inn gives it a certain charm even though the neighborhood is expanding. There is plenty of property to walk around and relax. As for the traffic; again give me a break!Since when can a property owner control the amount of traffic that is on the roads. A B&B in town would have 4 times the amount of traffic and noise. Cable T.V. not working? I don't know. We never turned it on. We were on vacation relaxing on the porch and admiring our surroundings. It amazes me why some people with so many issues even bother going on vacation. I would recommend the Homestead Inn to my friends who travel through this area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AandR2014
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed this past weekend. We stayed for 2 nights our cottage was a bit older but nice, the breakfast was very good and the staff was so friendly. Its pricey but I would not return, the pool and hottub where right by the entrance of the bar so no privacy, and the bar is very loud if you want peace and quiet this place is not for you. ALso the motorcycles pass by this bed and breakfast roaring their motors so no sleep there either.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Rooms are so nice. The breakfast has been yummy every time we've stayed (3 times). Bring earplugs to sleep if your room is near the tavern because it can get loud. The grounds are beautiful. It is expensive, but I am very frugal. The rates may be comparable to other B&Bs in the area; I don't know.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank KristinShea
Reviewed 18 April 2014

If you are going to an event at Gruene Hall, this is pretty convenient ( a mile away and you probably will still drive over there and fight the crowds). That is the advantage to the Homestead Inn. And it is cute and quaint, but I would not stay here again. The room was spacious, and clean. But it was all the little things: the wifi didn't work in the rooms, and only occasionally worked in the main building. The security gate was broken. The breakfast wasn't as good as a Hampton Inn. The cable TV was broken, there was a safety chain on the doorframe but no receptacle to slide it into on the door.

Now that neighborhoods are built up to the back of the property, it may lose some charm.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MemphisZ
moon_seventy, General Manager at Gruene Homestead Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

I'm sorry to hear about your recent, disappointing experience with us. We don't expect anyone who is not completely satisfied with our property to have to pay for their stay. Please call me to receive a complete, and immediate, refund. My name is Edgar. I'm the manager, and my family owns and operates the inn and tavern. I will briefly address your concerns here. I'm glad you were happy with the cleanliness and size of your room. Thanks for mentioning that. Because our property is so large (8 acres, 5 of which have guest units on them), we do not guarantee in-room internet access and, as such, do not advertise this as an amenity. Many devices can connect in the rooms, but some others need to be much closer to the router. Most people can access one of our 4 routers from the porches of our houses. We use the Faust house network daily. We only close our gate when we have events that bring non-paying guests onto the property, such as weddings and meetings. We have found it to be unnecessary to keep it closed on a daily basis as it ends up just being a nuisance to our paying guests. Satisfaction with our breakfast is a subjective judgment, but I would like to say that we are very proud of the breakfast we offer. We have put a lot of time, thought, and energy into presenting something that is both practical and varied. While we do not offer some of the more esoteric items that you might find at smaller bed and breakfasts, we do offer a mix of hearty, South Texas favorites. This always includes, eggs, bacon, potatoes, many continental type items, and variously, biscuits and gravy, homemade breakfast tacos, locally handmade tamales, and custom Belgian waffles. All of the food we serve is real, and it is prepared by competent personnel who genuinely care about our guest satisfaction. Apparently, there were two maintenance issues in your room that were not attended to. I apologize for that. We try to keep our guests informed about how to report an issue during their stay. Specifically, my personal cell phone number is given to every guest that checks in. As well, the personal cell phone numbers of three other family members are posted on the first page of the in-room information booklet. We all live on the property. We should have done a better job of inspecting your room prior to your arrival, but the two problems you mentioned are things that very likely could have been fixed in a matter of minutes. If you do decide to stay with us again, please don't hesitate to contact us with any concerns. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and our primary goal is to make sure everyone who stays at our inn leaves with a smile on their face. I hope to hear from you soon. Edgar Miles.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Beautiful grounds and houses, which are historic, but also have modern amenities and renovation. Very comfortable bed, A/C worked well, ditto on TV. Really great bar on the adjacent property, by same owners, which has good music & shuffleboard. Clean pool in an attractive fenced off area. The houses have an interesting backstory: 3 of them were moved onto the property from their original sites. The breakfast is terrific, and varied, and is served in the main house which has been historically renovated. They sell beer and wine by the bottle to take back to your room. Nice selection of both, beers were 2 bucks.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple