“Mediocre”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites New Braunfels
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in New Braunfels
“Mediocre”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I stayed here on a last minute trip. I had a free night redemption and glad that was all I had to pay towards my stay here. The credit was for $140 and it was not even close to that! My teenager said it was more on the scale of a $70 per night hotel.

Check in: The 2 men behind the counter were nice but made me wait to check in for about 10 minutes. (I was the only person there). They were both wearing red shirts that had been splashed with bleach.

Room: VERY basic. Nothing bad but very very moderate. No extras. 1 bottle of shampoo, 2 bars of soap, very spartan. It was very clean and I appreciated the free internet.

Breakfast: very small room. I can't imagine what it's like to be there when busy. The manager kept watching over my teen age daughter while she made the waffles. Was a little strange.

Location: off I-35, close to San Marcos. Not much to look at.

Overall, this was just a lower end hotel that quoted me a rate of $140 per night. That's crazy. It's more on the level of a $70 per night hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank flash407

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cameron, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My husband, daughters & I unexpectedly had to stay overnight in New Brawnsfels and ended up at the Econo Lodge very late at night. Within an hour of getting into our room the a/c unit began a VERY LOUD screeching noise. I called to front desk & asked to be moved to another room.....they said they were sold out & our room was last one left. So, I asked if they had a repair person to come look at the unit...the guy said no but he could come take a look....I asked if he could repair it & he said no .....so what good would it do for him to come to our room??? I asked to check us out of hotel....he said he would but we would not refund us!! No refund?? We had been in the room an hour?? My husband worked on stopping he noise off & on all night.....it would stop long enough for us to fall asleep(about 30 min) then would screech again!!! It was the most miserable night of sleep at a hotel we have ever had!! We even tried to sleep without the a/c but it was over 100 degrees!!

When morning finally came I went downstairs to visit with the manager about a room credit for the lost nights sleep....we were offered $10!!! I said you have got to be kidding me & told him my husband would be down to talk to him about the problems with he ac unit.
When my husband & I came back down....no manager....we asked to speak to him....he was "unavailable" but they were able to reach him on phone. He told the poor guy working the desk who was as lost & obviously had never checked anyone out to give us the $10 credit. When my credit card was run after a 20 min process the $10 credit was not applied. The guy was struggling to figure out how to fix it for another 10 min.
At this point I allowed the lady behind me to go ahead since it looked like it was gonna take a while. She proceeded to check out & they OVERBILLED her by $40.....then trying to check her out the guy double billed her so it was $80 then he could not correct it.....another 30 minutes....still not fixed....the lady ended up just leaving!

We were back to check out....got manager back on phone....at this point we had stood approx an hour with NO SLEEP.....EXTREMELY upsetting.....the manager went ahead and gave $20 discount....PLEASE....REALLY??? After all we went through. UGH! WE WILL NEVER STAY AT ECONO LODGE AGAIN!!!!!!

There were 3 different people who all had he manager on line at different times trying to check us out & another lady.....the manager would not show his face.....AWFUL!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Franci D

Travellers are raving about these New Braunfels hotels

Reviewed 26 June 2013

The price for the room was the cheapest we could find. And to be honest all we were looking for was a place to lay our heads after a day of playing at Schlitterbahn. We did not go expecting a stay at the ritz...
When it was booked we requested 2 rooms with 2 queen size beds. We did not get the queen sized beds, they were doubles, and when we asked the manager and the check in clerk about it all he did was repeat "they are queen" and would not let me finish a sentence after he started on that rant/explanation. The room sizes are ok but the photos they have on-line have either been stretched along with the "make it look bigger angles" or are stock pictures of a different hotel. We needed extra bedding a towels and there were none available, until the third time we asked and then all they had was towels.

Breakfast was pitiful; mini muffins, bread for toasting, silly TX shaped waffles, 2 kinds of cereal, and a choice between oranges or bananas and coffee or milk. They didn't even have coffee makers in the rooms.

The pool size is a joke my bathtub at home is bigger than the pool, even the hot tub at the hotel is bigger than the pool. Again we weren't going there to do any playing at the hotel but it would've been nice to let the kids play after the long drive up.

To sum it up Service pretty much sucked, but it was an ok stay but I still think it was overpriced for the size of the rooms

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank susan C
Reviewed 23 June 2013

This hotel is in a great location
But it is over priced the pool is like the size of a kiddie pool not as big as it looks on the pictures not even worth getting in. Not recommended for a high expectations traveler the price of this hotel should be 79 if that. a night. Room is ok smells old but doable the breakfast is cereal and waffles that's it and coffee and OJ

• Stayed June 2013
Killeen, Texas
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The hot tub wasnt working the night i stayed! they had very little stuff for breakfast like they were supposed to! they shorted us on towels and had no kleenex in the holder! a/c wasnt working good that night! the hotel denied everything of course! the evening clerk that works there was great and helpful and very polite !

Room Tip: find another hotel for the money you can do better than this place
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Tecumseh, Oklahoma
Reviewed 3 May 2013

We have been booking choice hotels since 2004 and have always been treated well, however there is always a first time and this one is it! We booked online for 1 night, king bed. We asked when we got there, if we could change to a room with 2 queen beds as our grandson decided to stay too! NO, they couldn't do that even though they had 11 vacant rooms because we booked online, however if we wanted to pay for a room and lose our points we could do that. Didn't have a rollaway bed, didn't have any extra sheets or blankets to make a palet, nor did they have extra towels, they did have 1 hand towel and 1 washcloth. The room did not have wi-fi, coffee pot, lotions, etc. But front desk kept saying if there was anything they could do let them know! Go up the road about 1/2 mile to the Sleep Inn and be treated and accomodated like you should be.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Oklahoma
New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Nothing really special about this property but it is in a good location - convenient to New Braunfels proper and I-35.
The check in clerk was great - very friendly with lots of personality and truly did his best to be helpful.

Room Tip: some rooms are right next to the elevator - try to avoid these
Stayed March 2013, travelled with family