“Historic Hotel”

Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in New Braunfels
Tomball, Texas
“Historic Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We visited the Faust Hotel on a trip to float the Comal river. The exterior of the hotel is very nice and clean. Inside the lobby is like walking back in time. The doors and accents are wood and glass. This hotel still has brass keys. We reserved a queen room and once inside the bed took up most of the area. Very little space to anything but sleep. The room only has a window unit a/c and in the Texas heat does not cool very well. The bathroom was small and when i was in the shower the next door room flushed the commode and the water became unbearable hot. Overall the room was clean. The room served its purpose , a place to sleep, but I could stand to have a little more room.

Room Tip: Book a King room. they appear to be a little bigger.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed her for one night and considered checking out multiple times. This is a historic hotel that has been neglected - it has the potential to be charming and quaint but in it's current state was bordering on run down, especially for the price point. We stayed in a Queen room and no kidding it must have been max 100 sq ft. It was ridiculously small with petite pillows. I can't imagine anyone under the age of 50 liking this place unless you are incredibly nostalgic about historic hotels. You know how there are upscale antique stores and then there are small town hole in the walls that are essentially your grandparents garage sell but labeled 'antique store'? The latter is the equivalent of this hotel. This place does have a great deal of potential but it needs a great deal of investment to get beyond the creepy factor to lean towards charming & quaint...Water main broke while we were there and there was no running water. Do not recommend.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a queen sized room unless you are traveling alone - rooms are very small.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ksinaustin

Travellers are raving about these New Braunfels hotels

Austin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We wanted to spend a day/night in Greune, but all of the hotels were either booked or had 2-3 night minimums. New Braunfels is a short 10-minute drive from Greune and The Faust Hotel was the only place that didn't have a 2-night minimum. Based on that fact, it was already suspect, but we booked it anyway, knowing that we would be hanging out in Greune and the hotel was just a place to sleep. It's a quaint old building with loads of potential. It needs a major overhaul - as in gut the place and start from scratch. Lighting, carpets, furniture - all terrible. Everywhere you look, something is broken, chipped or faulty. There's just no love in this place. I went to iron something and filled the rickety iron with water, let it heat up, started to iron and all of the water spilled out of the bottom of the iron while I was ironing! Bathroom hooks broken, chipped paint everywhere. The carpet - oy vey! Aside from it being the ugliest thing I had ever seen - I was honestly afraid to walk barefoot on it. It could easily be 30 years old and it looks so matted with dirt. A couple good things: 1-a keurig with real creamer in the fridge. That was unexpected and very appreciated. Also, while the pillows were ridiculously tiny, the bed was very comfortable. We went to the bar for a night cap. My husband got one of their tap brews and enjoyed it. I ordered a $10 glass of wine, which was corked. I reluctantly brought it back (I hate having to do that!) and they opened a new bottle for me and happily replaced it and it was much better.
This place could be amazing, but it's not. Next time, we'll plan our trip around the two night minimum and stay somewhere else.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank DeeMarie70
Manvel, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I have stayed in motels all around the hill country and wanted to stay in an old classic hotel for our 25th. We understand that the rooms are smaller and the bathrooms are very small. This was our trade off for staying in a hotel for under $100 a night during the weekend within walking distance to the bakery, weekend farmer's market and German restaurant. Twelve years ago we stopped by and saw a painting of a blond haired toddler that looked like our daughter named Faith Ashton. The owner told us that she had been seen recently playing in the hallway with a small ball. One of the patrons were concerned that she was alone and walked toward her and she ran through a wall. When the current owner went to see where she went, it was explained that the grand daughter of the builder of the hotel used to play in the hallway and that since the little girl died the doorway to her room was now a wall... Two years later we went to the hotel in hopes to see the painting again and show the current owner that our daughter looked like the portrait. The person at the desk said "we no longer talk about the hotel being haunted because it may scare away guests." For our 25th Anniversary, we wanted our monies worth so I walked down every aisle at before, during and after midnight and did not see a thing out of the ordinary, however when I went to the car to get a phone charger, I saw what looked like a little girl standing on the fire escape stairs, I did not think it was a ghost, because I wanted to stand there, so I took a photo with my cell phone and took 10 steps closer and then as I took a closer photo, the little girl was gone... Here are the photos and I would suggest staying here for those that enjoy an adventure back into the past, even if you do not see a ghost. The staff was friendly, the location great for morning and evening walks, we did not go to the bar, but heard it was nice. We will come back again and have a better camera on hand at all times just in case.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you do not want the small European Rooms with the toilet and sink configuration similar t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 4Mack
New Braunfels, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

The room was very tiny, hot and smelled terrible. I was very disappointed with the staff (hotel and bar), both of whom were quite rude. New Braunfels has a lot better to offer, especially Gruene! Yes, there is charm with the 20s décor, but that's about it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank maryann m
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed two hellish nights: the room was sweltering, and really tiny, with a bathroom like one would find on a train..the aircon was so noisy and ineffective one wondered why we bothered to leave it on. No room servicing was done and everything was tired and had a grubby air. The actual building and its interior features are nice and historic but to be honest I would have taken a bulk standard motel just to get some decent aircon. Location within the town is good, and the bar is nice, with great hospitality, great beer and good standard food. So I would stay there in cooler months if I wanted a cheap deal and central location, but in the heat of summer forget it.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is one
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Belton, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Love this hotel. Full of history and charm. 1920's decor. Old, quaint but very clean. Doesn't smell old either. Front desk is always friendly. Pub (brewery) has great food and beer. Love sitting outside on patio. The double room wasn't as good as the king room I had last time. The king bed was really comfy.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family