“Great Week of Tennis and Experience at Tennis Ranch”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Braunfels
John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch
Boston area, MA
“Great Week of Tennis and Experience at Tennis Ranch”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I had always wanted to visit this tennis camp/ranch since hearing about it years ago. I was not disappointed when I finally did. The level of instruction and the passion of the instructors was high. It seem that with almost every ball they hit you the coaches provided some tip or advice. I also liked how the instructors mingled with the campers and sat with us at meals. The week I attended had a lower number of guests/campers and of all different abilities. I thought the instructors did a good job of accommodating everyone's skill level.

I enjoyed the atmosphere of the tennis ranch. It has a relaxed, authentic feel. While it's not a fancy resort, the condo I stayed in fit my needs and it was nice to have a fridge to store some food and beer. The week package is also a good value given it includes tennis, housing, and food. The meals fit my needs and most of the dinners were tasty and some Tex-Mex style, with the breakfasts and lunches good enough. I liked the buffet style for all the means, as I don't like to wait when I'm hungry.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Factory_tour_man
NewksResort, General Manager at John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thanks for your kind words. It was our pleasure to host you at the Ranch and we sincerely hope that you will be back soon. Happy tennis!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Niskayuna, New York
Reviewed 20 April 2014

If your idea of a great week is 5+ hours of tennis a day with expert instruction, great fun, great food and socializing with other folks who think this is great way to spend the day, Newk's is for you. It's an incredible all inclusive value! The rooms are great, the food is great (not fine dining though - go to New Braunfels or San Antonio for dinner if you want this), and the tennis can't be beat!!! For me, I don't need fine dining (the food was great, the beer was cold and the pros ate with us; with all the tennis I put on a couple of pounds!!!) and the positive atmosphere was fantastic. My 15 year old son played with the live in academy and I played with 10 other weekly campers. We both had a fantastic time and can't wait to go back. He is motivated to be the best he can be - thanks to Phil, Mitch, Josh, and Adrian; and I just loved the tennis and the people. Newk's is a must visit! It's all about the tennis and it's way above other top tennis resorts I've visited for the tennis, the value and the fun - try it out!.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nancy M
NewksResort, General Manager at John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Nancy. M,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of the Ranch. You obviously really "get" us and what we are all about, and we are so happy that we were able to spend some time with you and your son. We hopefully look forward to welcoming you back to our "team family" in the not too distant future.
Thank you again.
Hudson, OH
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed at the tennis ranch for the first time Saturday through Wednesday Mar 22-26. Easy drive from Austin airport and even closer to San Antonio. Had a condo with a loft which was plenty for the 3 of us. This is a very laid back rustic resort that knows tennis. We were welcomed from the start and the head pro Chris called us ahead of time to discuss our tennis expectations. My son played tennis with the Junior program and my husband an I joined the adult group. The ratio of pros to players was 4 to 1 which means you play a lot of tennis. The outdoor courts were very nice plus they have 4 outdoor Har-Tru courts. When the weather was windy or yes there was some rain, there are 4 indoor courts which we could play on.

Your stay includes a very nice buffet 3 times each day in the main lodge with the kids sometimes separate and other times with the adults. Besides playing tennis in the morning and afternoons, you could play more on your own or enjoy the pool and hot tub. There is a new pavilion next to the Har-Tru courts with rocking chairs and just outside the pavilion is a very nice fire pit where we met up with everyone in the evenings.

The tennis included drill and play along with a video tape session. Thank you to Chris, Adrienne, Melissa, Ryan, Dhara, Tanner and the other Chris for the great tennis instruction. My son loved the junior tennis program headed up by Mitch . We all came out of the camp feeling we improved our tennis. Sitting and eating with the pros was great with them knowing your name and your game. Our group was a great group of players, really fun.

We will definitely be back and my son is interested in joining the summer camp coming all the way from Ohio. Newks offers adult and junior camps which is great for a family vacation or they can accommodate you individually. Great place, a lot of fun and great tennis. Can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Condo are spacious and included a washer and dryer. Rustic though. AC throughout.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tobinyon
NewksResort, General Manager at John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Tobinyon,
Thank you for your detailed report of your stay at the Ranch. In our opinion, it is people like you who make the Ranch a special place and we loved having you here - thank you for coming!
We hope to look after your son in the summer in camp, and hopefully welcoming you back soon too!
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We had a fantastic time last week at the tennis ranch. My husband and I, and our 3 daughters, played lots of tennis, improved our game and enjoyed socializing with fellow travelers. The staff is very welcoming and gracious, and extremely knowledgeable about the game of tennis. The accommodations are somewhat spartan but comfortable.

My daughter is returning by herself this summer for a week of camp.

Overall this was one of our best family vacations ever!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Judy A
Dear Judy,
Thank you for your lovely comments. It was our pleasure to have you at the Ranch and we look forward to taking care of your daughter in summer camp!
Thank you again and come back soon.
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The John Newcombe Tennis Rance is an absolutely beautiful property set in a nitch area. The home style cooking was probably the best part of the experience. Being from "up north" the food here was amazing, the staff was so friendly and helpful, and just a great time!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
NewksResort, Guest Relations Manager at John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for your nice compliments. It was a pleasure to host your group! We hope you all will visit again!
Toronto
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

We visited the ranch dec 15-20 and it was everything we hoped for and more! First off there is nothing more pure then waking up knowing all I'll be doing is hitting for six hours. Honestly it doesn't get better than that. The ranch delivers this experience in full, filling every moment with lessons and games to keep challenging you. The pros are the heart of the experience. You won't find better teachers/motivators/torturers than Chris, Mitchell, Adrian and Mo. Their job requires constant energy not only on the court but the fact that they always join you for all meals. The experience is completely immersive which is why it's one of a kind! The food is simply spectacular and never left hungry. The rooms are older but honestly suck it up you are there for tennis. You have a whirlpool you don't really need anything else. We had some minor room issues but the staff moved us so quickly and graciously we couldn't bother to care. My brother and I are about 4.0 players and they made it a point to work individually to what we needed even with a group environment. We learned some fundamental flaws in our game and that ladies and gentleman is worth the price of admission. It helps if you can to bring someone of a similar level with you (hitting partner) but I would still go solo.

Some tips would be to take super shuttle from either of the closest airports as it is least hassle. However if you want to wonder the surroundings and the shopping mall id consider renting a car given the price of taxies are expensive. (Ex outlet mall 20 mins away 50 American one way).

You won't beat the price and most of all the lovely people so go already!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ivan088
NewksResort, General Manager at John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Thank you for your kind words and we loved having you visit the Ranch. We think we are a special place, and it is our special Guests like you, who make it that way. It was our pleasure to serve you and have you visit, and we hope that you will be back soon.
Boulder
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stayed at Newks recently for a work function. What a fantastic staff! This is a true statement for ALL staff, from top to bottom. Everyone is on their A game. The kitchen staff treated me great, Debbi in the pro shop is phenomenal and her husband Jeremy runs the place perfectly. Food was delicious and I really appreciated the vegetarian options available at every meal. Well done Team Newks!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Suzanne P
NewksResort, Guest Relations Manager at John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Suzanne, Thank you so much for your compliments! We always enjoy having Babolat here! Hope to see you again next year!