“Disgusting food and incompetent staff”
Review of Camino Real - CLOSED

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Pflugerville
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disgusting food and incompetent staff”
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I don't usually take the time to write reviews, but this place was so god-awful bad that I felt I had to warn people. After being seated, we were completely ignored for about 5 minutes, even though there was only one other couple dining in the restaurant at that time. We eventually placed our order and got our chips and salsa which were decent. The food they brought was absolutely disgusting - I wouldn't even feed it to my dog. I took one bite and couldn't eat any more; keep in mind that we were totally starving at the time. I informed our waitress of this and she just kinda shrugged her shoulders. I told her that I was willing to pay for the drinks we had, but could not justify paying for food in which one bite was taken out of. Needless to say that there was nothing taken off of the check she eventually gave us. Rather than argue with her, I asked to talk to a manager. As it turns out, there was no manager! No one there was competent enough to figure out how to edit the ticket to remove the food that we didn't eat because it was so damn gross. Incompetent staff and disgusting food is no way to run a restaurant. Its really too bad because the place is very convienent to my house. Now I just laugh at any fool who is eating there as I'm driving by. Do yourself (and your stomach) a favor and go to El Rincon (great enchiladas) or Casa Garcia's instead.

1 Thank slothorilla

Pflugerville, Texas
“They must not care to keep their customers!”
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I live fairly close to this restaurant and never visited until recently, deciding to give it try, even though I never saw a lot of cars parked there. At first, I was pleasantly surprised by the food and and prices and decided to return. Unfortunately, this most recent experience was enough to be the last time I will go there. I ordered a platter that had a stickered price label over it - $6.99. I thought it was a great value and asked to see another menu to be certain it was correct. They brought me the same menu with the same stickered price, so when I went to pay, they obviously charged me $16.99? I questioned and tried to reason with them that had I known the real price I would have ordered something else, but they refused to admit there was any mistake. They were rude about it, and it was a good thing I did not ask to speak to a manager because after reading fellow reviews, they might have threatened to call the police on me! If it was a mistake, fine, admit it and be fair with what was represented, as other establishments are required by law to be. The food was okay, but not almost $20 okay. I'm not as upset about paying the extra money as I am with the fact that they will not care what they do, including compromising good service just to make a buck. I would have liked to keep coming here, but needless to say, I should have read the reviews first and saved my money as I plan never to come back!

If they want to put more cars in their lot, they need to learn the basics of customer service. Too bad they are willing to blow off a good repeat customer for the sake of a one time check that was not even my fault. I will be sure to discourage others from coming too, thanks.

1 Thank ut1227
Austin, Texas
“They threatened to call the police on us when my son's food was inedible.”
Reviewed 9 August 2009

I think the headline above sums it up nicely. My son had quesadillas that he couldn't eat after one bite. My wife tried one bite, said they tasted "like perfume", and we tried to send it back. They offered to bring another dish, but we would be required to pay for both. After an extended discussion, a lady who spoke no English claiming to be the "manager" came out and threatened to call the police on us if we didn't pay for the bad food. NEVER waste your time or money at this establishment. I saw another review elsewhere that mentioned the police threat, even though they paid! TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE service. Food was serviceably good during our first couple of visits, but it went downhill, too. My wife's enchiladas had what appeared to be Velveeta in them. I recommend spending your hard-earned dollars elsewhere.

2 Thank DiningMeister
Austin, Texas
“Cheap and Good”
Reviewed 17 May 2009

After being referred here by my doctor who is of Mexican descent, I realize why she enjoys this place so much. The food is authentic, good,inexpensive and the portions are generous. Unlike some other reviewers, I have always had good service and the management was polite and friendly. Coming from Philadelphia, I was thrilled to discover the joy of migas. They offer 2 portion sizes. I've always ordered the smaller size and have always been satisfied. The dish comes with refried beans and crispy, non-greasy potatoe chunks. Chunks best describes these lovely little delights. Their menu is extensive and the Margaritas are very good. They really appreciate my attempts at Spanish(although this is not necessary, all the wait staff speak fluent English) and as in all cases, please and thank you go a long way.

Pflugerville
“Food ok... Service terrible!”
Reviewed 10 May 2009

I have tried this place out a few times, each time wondering why I go back. I think it is because the food is fairly inexpensive compared to other Mexican food restaurants. The problem is that you get what you pay for in bad service. The wait staff acts like they are going out of their way to serve you, almost like they are doing you a favor.

I was disappointed on one visit where I left a cash tip and paid with debit for the meal. The cashier (or someone) apparently filled in a nice tip on the debit receipt which I didn't find out about until it reflected in my bank account statement. Be very careful to fill in that tip line on the receipt so it is obvious.

Overall, the taste of the food is inconsistent. I will not be returning, just due to the fact that I never know what to expect at this restaurant. There is always something leaving a bad taste in your mouth when you are done.