“Clean and comfortable, but still managed to frustrate.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Pharr - Rio Grande Valley
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Pharr
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights on a business trip in June 2014. So the place is nice and clean, rooms and beds comfortable. But there are a few simple amenities I need while out on business trips that this La Quinta location sorely failed to provide, and we were fairly annoyed by it.
Firstly, their gym\exercise room was "out of order" (whatever that means- are ALL the machines broken down? ). This wouldn't have been that upsetting, if not for the fact that the person I spoke to on the phone for reservations DID tell me there was a gym, but failed to mention it was closed. My coworker and I both spend a lot of time eating out with customers and sitting in the car driving, so being able to exercise in the evenings is absolutely essential. Had we known the gym was down, we probably would have stayed somewhere else- even possibly at the other La Quinta which us strangely next door. Now that I mention that, why not offer to let guests use the gym in the building next door? It's all the same company...
The hotel hit a few other pet peeves with me too. To our horror we discovered the coffee machine in the breakfast lobby was out of order as well- this is not a good thing for someone to discover at 6 am. Moreover, I couldn't seem to get the little instant-coffee machine in our room to work. Of course, those little coffee samples in hotel rooms usually don't taste very good anyways.
Finally, I tend to read before I go to sleep, and while there were lamps next to the beds with individual switches, they did not work as expected. The individual switches did absolutely nothing, and the lights were instead all tied in to the same wall switch - so our options were "All lights on," or "pitch blackness." I wanted to read for a few minutes without disturbing my coworker in the other bed, but apparently La Quinta did not feel I should be able to. Of course, I guess maybe I should have gone to sleep early anyways, since there was no coffee available to me in the entire building!
Attention to details is important. As I said, this place was comfortable, clean, and friendly enough to earn at least 4 if not 5 stars from me, but the simple lack of a few small, but important factors left us with drowsy frowns as we left in the morning after the second night.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Buddy B
BaldemarG_13, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pharr - Rio Grande Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time and reviewing our hotel. We were replacing/upgrading the carpet in the gym and the coffee machine has been repaired. I apologize for the inconvenience.

There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Pharr - Rio Grande Valley

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Front desk employees are very nice. Rooms are very clean. They have happy hour Tuesday-Thursday. You get 3 tickets, for beer, wine, or soda. Hot tub sometimes very hot. Pool is beautiful. Always windy at this location it seem. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Stay in main building. Not in extension building. No ice machines in extension building.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Great hotel. What I like most about the location. It has plenty of room for buses, trucks, etc. I'm a driver. I was in a bus. Didn't have any problem parking that unit. Nice rooms and great location. If I'm ever in that location again, I will stay there again. Thanks

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We were staying in the area for work with my husband. The staff was amazing. I have a 7 month old and anytime I needed help with bags or anything, someone was there! They were great! The rooms were very clean! The breakfast was great! Not a bad things to say!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 9 May 2014

As I walked through the door, I was greeted with 4-5 people waiting at the counter. I was also greeted with a smile and 'welcome to La Quinta, I will be right with you.' The young lady behind the counter quickly and efficently took care of us, the smile never leaving her face. The way she handled herself spoke of someone who knows what customer service is all about. The name tag said 'LEXIE'. If the Dictionary had pictures, hers would be next to 'proper customer service'. She started my stay with a smile and the entire stay was very pleasant. I have had a Returns # since the '80's and am an Elite Member. This Inn is one of LQ's best.
Doug Biddle
DSM, Myers Tire Supply

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Motel is always clean & the staff is always friendly and professional. Great value for the price. Alway stay there when in the Rio Grande Valley area, and convienient to major highways and in proximity of several good restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My Cualification is excelent, because my familiy and I spent during the last year several times. the services were very nice and all the staff was friendly. The cleanness is very good and obiusly the beds were very conmfortable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pharr
La Quinta Inn & Suites Pharr- Hwy 281
Hampton Inn & Suites Pharr
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 12 in Pharr
Hampton Inn & Suites McAllen
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel McAllen
La Quinta Inn & Suites Alamo - McAllen East

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Pharr - Rio Grande Valley? Share your experiences!