“Good stay, not so good sleep...”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites -- Pharr
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Pharr
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Only one night at this property, just across the street from 2 La Quinta and one Hampton Inn, good location. Got in around 9:30pm, quick check in and got a room on the 4th floor. The elevator takes forever, not a problem. The room is really big, spacious, king bed and sofa, desk and chair, flat screen tv with many channels, the bathroom pretty big as well, clean. But the bed... oh, the bed... so soft, not firm at all. This might be a good deal for some; for me, not a very good one, as I like a firm mattress. But anyway, good place with a hot breakfast in the morning. The only downside is that on a crowded weekend, 6 tables is not going to cut it. By the way, got a deal for $79, so that was pretty good.

Room Tip: If you don't mind a very slow elevator, top floor saves you from all the sounds you might hear f...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Antonio G
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites -- Pharr

Reviewed 6 August 2013

I've stayed at this hotel before but not likely to again. Although staff quite nice, the room smelled musty, the shower curtain was mildewed, the hair dryer about fell off the wall, and the breakfast was not well staffed so not well stocked at all. If I choose to stay at a chain hotel, I want to know that, property to property, the quality will be consistent. That is not the case with Holiday Inn Express hotels. I stayed in another one (Cape Girardeau, MO) a few months ago and it was very nice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jenn R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites -- Pharr, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Dear Jenn R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the overall condition of your room and our breakfast menu. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.
I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 27 July 2013

First time to the area, and was traveling with co-workers 7/24 - 7/26. While this hotel provided decent sleep, I had some concerns. I'm not sure I would stay again, would likely try another hotel in the area on next visit.

I called the hotel 1 day prior to arrival and asked for a "middle" of the hall room (away from elevators and stairs). The gal was quite reassuring she had made the notes on the reservation. However, upon arrival, before accepting my keys, I asked where the room was located and it was right next to the stairs! Obviously the notes on the reservation were not noticed or ignored. The lady was nice enough to switch me to room 218.

Room 218 has some issues, please see the photos. There is mildew in the bathtub tile area and it looks very tacky. This along with issues described below, felt like I should have been in a motel 6, not a nicer Holiday Inn express! Next, you will see all the mold on the ceiling near the exhaust fan, that never seems to work anyway. Finally, there was some serious damage to the wall on the other side of the bathroom door. You don't notice it until you try to close the bathroom door.

Other issues noted was that there was a thermostat on the wall, but the window unit also was available for adjusting. Now, I know this region can get humid from time to time, being so close to the gulf, however, it was not overly humid during the days of our stay here but regardless, my clothes always felt damp. I think perhaps it is the TYPE of A/C they put in that doesn't seem to do anything for humidity. HOWEVER, it was CERTAINLY cool enough in the room, which was great.

The work desk -- I do not think it was cleaned. Running a swiffer duster or cloth across is not sufficient. There were sticky spots and I had to use my own handi-wipes to clean it. There was a lamp that would not stay turned on to the left of the TV.

Didn't hit fitness room.

Breakfast - nothing remarkable. Just the basics for this category of hotel. I usually just grabbed a yogurt from the fridge, but the cinnamon rolls are good too. One day the milk canteen was empty, I asked the girl in the kitchen and her first response was in surprise that "leche" was out. She then proceeded to bring out the mini cartons of milk (like at school cafeterias) and restock the fridge. I was confused on why they have a canteen at first, then cartons the next minute? Who knows..it is a minor thing. But, plenty for you to get your day started and coffee was decent.

Overall, this place provided a decent enough room to sleep in, but $108 for what I saw in the room was too much. You can make the lobby as nice as possible, but if you can't maintain and clean the rooms, it will not keep a guest returning.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank KKJACKS
Roman P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites -- Pharr, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Dear KKJacks,

Please accept my most sincere apology regarding your disappointing stay. I ask that you allow us to correct the impression you took from our hotel. We instill in all our staff guest love and take your comments very seriously. We are currently inspecting each and every room to meet our stringent standards. We will dedicate ourselves to pay attention to detail and hope that you will revisit us soon.

Roman Portes

Reviewed 11 July 2013

I checked in around 10:30pm and I was so tired and really hungry, I don't know how bad I looked that the lady at the front desk offered me something to eat and she went to kitchen and gave me an apple, some yogurt and cereal. I travel a lot because of my work and never anyone had been so nice at the check in, I think is really good the staff actually take care of the guest.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Roman P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites -- Pharr, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear Angeles G,

Wow! Thank you very much for taking the time to share your Holiday Inn Express Pharr experience with others. We pride ourselves with feedback from our guests.
We appreciate you staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards,

Roman Portes

Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

The staff was very nice. Even when above and beyond to provide me with some milk for my child to drink at night. Beds were very comfortable. Room overall was clean. I do however did not like to mold in the grout of the restroom shower. I think that this can be fixed with some bleach and elbow grease. Free hot breakfast was good and much appreciated. Probably will stay again when visiting that area hopefully with no mold in the shower.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay at this Holiday inn. After a 20 hour drive I was dreading having to deal with front desk, but the staff was very nice and made it very easy. I was able to enjoy their very comfortable beds in no time. It felt like i slept on a cloud and woke up very well rested. The room was very clean; i did not see one item that was not clean. I am known to be a bit of a "clean freak". Breakfast was delightful but what really swept me off my feet was happy hour. I mean, who can say no to mini burgers, wine, and beer? I'm glad I made the choice to stay at this great location. As you can tell, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 20 June 2013

This hotel is the best in the area, close to the shopping plaza but far for all the noise and the traffic, walking distance from Rudy's BBQ and as soon you walk in you can feel how clean the hotel is, room really spacious, clean and the bed was the best part of it!! Staff was great and helpful, I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Argentina R, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites -- Pharr, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us. We are so glad you glad you had a good time in the hotel and the area, hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pharr
Hampton Inn & Suites Pharr
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 12 in Pharr
La Quinta Inn & Suites Pharr- Hwy 281
La Quinta Inn & Suites Pharr - Rio Grande Valley
Hampton Inn & Suites McAllen
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel McAllen

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites -- Pharr? Share your experiences!