“Nasty hotel that makes your skin crawl”

Extended Stay America - Dallas - Plano Parkway
Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in Plano
Reviewed 22 September 2010

I am by no means a picky traveler. I know the value of a dollar and I'm usually quite happy with the hotels at which I choose to stay. With that being said, if you have the choice to do so, run away from this establishment as fast as your feet will carry you.

From the outside, the hotel looks decent. In fact, it looks more like a house/apartment complex than a hotel. That's pretty much where the positives end, though.

Once you get inside and see the hallways and rooms, you'll see just how run down and old this place is. This hotel is in dire need of a major renovation, and quickly.

I had the misfortune of booking this hotel for an extended stay. In the first ten days here, I've had countless problems, listed below.

-We found bugs in our room, some dead and some alive. We actually had to go out and purchase Raid spray to feel better about staying in the room. (Ironically, as other travelers have noted, the bed comforter has images of insects woven in. Did nobody see the faulty logic in this?)

-The bed comforter also had cigarette burns. Keep in mind, this is in a non-smoking room. The headboard is dotted with holes. The only saving grace about this place is that I actually slept comfortably on the bed, despite worrying about getting bit all night.

-Everything about the room is filthy and old. The carpet needs to be ripped up. The couch (probably purchased in the 80s) has large rips and tears. It's so dirty that I felt unsafe even sitting on the couch, much less sleeping on it.

-The walls need to be painted. There were blood stains of some kind on the walls in the bedroom. On the kitchen walls were cobwebs.

-The stovetop, microwave, dishwasher and dishes were absolutely filthy. What are the maids getting paid for, exactly?

-Speaking of maids, we have not yet seen a visit from them. Upon check-in, the receptionist asked us which day we'd like our housekeeping (you get one housekeeping visit per week) and I said Wednesday. Wednesday came and went, and no maid came. I told the front desk, and they said the maids would come on Monday. Monday came and went, and no maids again.

-What's better yet about this situation is that the front desk receptionist was rude about this entire situation. We were told if we ever needed towels, all we had to do was ask. Well, we asked, and were badgered with questions about housekeeping. It's as if they didn't believe me that the maids never showed up. One of the workers even suggested I put up my privacy tag when I know for a fact that I did not. Before getting towels, they made us go back to our room on the other side of the building and carry our towels to the front to exchange them. Again I ask, what exactly are the maids getting paid for? Management, if you read this review, look into this establishment.

-The bathroom floor is sticky and dirty. On top of that, the shower is ridden with stray hairs of strangers. The tub is so disgusting that there are literal black footprints on the tub floor. How dirty does one have to be to leave a permanent black footprint like that? It's beyond me.

-The curtains are old, dirty and heavy. I didn't even feel safe opening them since we were on the first floor and anyone walking or driving by would be able to look in and see valuables.

-The area is okay, but not the greatest. There is an IHOP nearby but not much else. Only 3 places I know of deliver to this hotel, (Jason's Deli, Pizza Hut and Domino's) so if you're looking for variety, you're much better off staying in Addison.

-The people at this hotel are sketchy as hell. On more than one occasion, I was made uncomfortable by fellow guests. There was a couple in the front lobby that stared at me for approximately half an hour and spoke in their native tongue. The worst case was when this mentally unstable man with a cane followed me to see which room I was in, and proceeded to knock on my door and wait several moments before walking away. Where is the security in this hotel? Oh yeah, there is none.

-You'd better stay in your room from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m., since there is no one at the front desk between those hours.

-The internet was the absolute worst I've ever seen. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the internet timed out at least once every five minutes. If you plan on using an instant messaging service, or any type of access that requires a stable connection, be prepared to be disappointed. They also have the NERVE to charge you $5 per stay for internet. They should be paying me to deal with their horrible internet service.

-The gym is lackluster at best, with only three machines. It faces the parking lot on the first floor, with open blinds. Enjoy having people watch you work out.

-The toilet is broken and runs constantly. Nobody cares to fix it.

-Their "breakfast" consisted of bagels, rotten oranges and green apples. That's it. Nothing else. It was a total joke.

-The way the air conditioning is designed, it will be too cold in the main living area, and very warm in the separate bedroom.

-The weird bathroom door slides instead of closes shut. I never go the lock to work during my stay.

-Be prepared to pay $5 to wash and dry one load of laundry in their facilities. Also be prepared to use quarters every time. I'm not sure who exactly brings $10 in quarters (what it will cost you to do laundry once a week, for a two week stay), but Homestead Suites on West Plano Parkway expects you to. There is no machine to make change in the laundry room, and the person at the front desk said she couldn't make change from a $5 bill.

-The TVs are oldschool Zeniths, without any kind of hookups for playing video games, etc. Also, the TVs default to turn on to static stations at a loud volume. We found that out the hard way at night. Also, no basic channels like MTV.

-There isn't even an alarm clock in the bedroom. If you want to know the time, you'll need to get up to check the microwave (that you have to set) or have your cell phone nearby.

-The people above you literally STOMP around upstairs at all hours of the night. You can hear everything.

-The side doors at the hotel are not locked. People do not need a room key to enter these back entrances, which is a real security threat for people-- especially women or children-- and especially after 11 p.m. when there is no one on duty at the hotel.

All of these problems have occurred within the first half of my trip. I'm sure we will have many more problems before my time here is up.

The bottom line: This hotel is just NOT worth it. There are so many hotels in the area, don't settle for this one-- especially for an extended stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank TRRR

Reviewed 15 April 2010

The staff treats you like family , if there is a concern or problem the reaction and timing is swift . You always see a warm smile , a happy face and very attentive front desk . I definitely left a piece of my heart and soul behind when I had to leave . This was my home away from home , and the staff definitely my adopted family .

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank spartacus65
Reviewed 2 March 2010

I will mention first that despite everything I opted not to approach management or anything since I was ONLY staying here for one night because I was moving back to the area and needed to stay somewhere for ONE night until I got moved into my apartment the very next morning.

It was disgusting, I found NUMEROUS insects and found it humorous that the print on the comforter was insects as well. There was an overwhelming scent of smoke in the room and I never really felt secure given the door seemed to be made of particle board. I decided to stay here because I was offered a discount when booking; however, upon arrival, I was told I needed to go across the street (another hotel) to use the internet and print out the "coupon"...there was no coupon. A slight difference of $10, so I let it go, along with every other complaint. So, I may not have complained enough or received any kind of compensation from this hotel BUT, my experience was enough to keep me from EVER staying in a Homestead Suites ever again and I will continue to recommend others find another place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank klg0816
Reviewed 3 April 2009

I stay in alot of hotels for business purposes. This hotel has made the top of my list for home away from home. The staff is very friendly and very helpful. I recommend this one to anybody and everybody.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank wait4ever3
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 August 2003

I had stayed multiple times at the Mainstay Suites in Plano, Texas and loved it. The staff was friendly, they had a quick and easy check-in process using a self-service kiosk, and the atmosphere was quite cozy.
It was more like a home than a hotel.

Apparently, in June 2003, Mainstay was sold to Homestead Suites. I thought nothing of the changeover, thinking it would be in name only.
Not only is the kiosk gone and the check-in process lengthy, the service has depleted (only some of the original staff remains), and they changed much of the decor of the hotel making it more of a traditional hotel. All the elements that I loved about Mainstay are gone now.

Still, overall, the hotel is still a much better value than many 3 star hotels out there.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member