“Finally Dined At This Place!”
Review of Ranchman's Cafe

Ranchman's Cafe
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Ponder
Price range: US$5 - US$35
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A Texas Steakhouse and Diner since 1948, with everything from scratch: Pies, Rolls, Salad Dressings and we cut our own (never Frozen) aged beef steaks from primal cuts and grind our choice beef for the juicy hamburgers. Slow down for a taste of what food used to taste like before the chain stores made it all the same. We are BYOB if you care for an adult beverage, we have wine glasses and bottle openers, coolers are welcome or we can put your beer in a bucket on ice. The setting is informal, but if you come in all dressed up, we'll know you must of had a good reason not to be comfortable. Get the city in your rear view mirror and come to Ponder where you can still see the stars at night.
Reviewed 30 September 2016

We spotted this restaurant about 10 years ago when we cruising around north Texas, it was so jam packed and without a reservation, we can"t get in. Finally, we visited Ponder again in July and got a chance to dine at this place. It was a slow day, the whole back session was empty, the baked potatoes was excellent, waitress was very friendly, but the long anticipated porterhouse that we decided to split order was disappointed. I guess the chef in on summer vacation!! The buttermilk pie was not something to write home about either.

1  Thank Pickle4355

Reviewed 26 September 2016

Our server was very friendly and helpful. My husband and I had ribeye steaks, my sister had a club. They normally serve french fries, but you can call in and ask for a baked potato. The owner, Dave Ross was working at a table near by and engaged in conversation with us. The food was excellent, more than my sister and I could eat. We would definitely go back again. Don't go dressed fancy. It's just like the name says, Ranchmans, and it is in a very small town in north Texas.

2  Thank SherCraig
Reviewed 9 September 2016

We took friends with us to this quaint little, family owned establishment for dinner. The food was better than we had remembered. The calf fries were out-of-this-world and the atmosphere was fun. The steaks are cooked to perfection and topped with a butter, garlic sauce that melts into the meat. Don't forget to reserve your baked potato. Reservations are not needed for the restaurant, but they are needed for the baked potatoes, this way they are not throwing away unnecessary food. And the best part of it is BYOB!!

2  Thank jules2347
Reviewed 22 August 2016

My wife's family is from Ponder; I've been married to her for 23 years; All those years I've heard how good the Ranchman's Cafe is. (Also called the Ponder Steakhouse) I finally got to go and I wish Id'a been going all along. These are the friendliest wait staff you'll ever encounter, but what else would you expect for a small town like this? Steeped in history; this little place has a lot to offer. I won't go into detail; you'll have to see for yourself. It's about 15 miles out of the way from anywhere, but it is well worth the drive. Great food; way better than you can get in the big city; everything is made from scratch. I can't wait to go back!

1  Thank JP H
Dave R, Owner at Ranchman's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2016

Thank You, JP for the kind words. Ranchman's has a long tradition and reputation to keep up. We are doing our best to upgrade the facilities to keep it cleaner and more comfortable for our customers. The staff is proud of our food and they have learned a lot about cooking real food from scratch. Homemade food is what is missing at other restaurants, so with a little extra work we have found our niche. Hope to see your soon.

Dave Ross Owner

Reviewed 18 August 2016

Overpriced but still good food. Service is excellent and the atmosphere good. It's small but cozy. Liked the seating.

Thank you for the kind words.