“hidden cost”

Port Royal Ocean Resort & Conference Center
texas
“hidden cost”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2007

your taking a chance,,,restuarant smells,,,,,almost all employees i saw smoke on the property,,,socalled engineers,, are just maintence people who will maybe doit right the 1st time but dont count on it

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank johnnytexas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
San Antonio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2006

I have to wonder how a place like Port Royal survives. My family has been staying there since the mid 80's and every year we get there the building seems more run down. We dont want to fly to Mexico when we have the island within about two hours, but we will have to relocate our annual reunion. The pool is bigger than anywhere in all the places I have ever seen but the grounds and common areas are in bad shape. I don't think they have renovated since they opened. The staff tries really hard to work with what there given and I know how that is being that i run a company. When I travel to a hotel that costs me around $1500.00 a week (which I don't mind doing from time to time), I expect the lobby to have 90 foot ceilings,rivers, coyponds and look similar to the entrance at the Mirrage in Vegas, but when we enter at Port Royal, thay have 9 foot ceilings with old cork tilling and what not. I get the feeling that I am beeing dropped off at the home. We also couldn't understand any of the staff whatsoever. I understood why they had foriegn exchange programs in place, but for heavens sakes they where at all of the wrong places. The only ammenity where we could understand anything being said was at the bar in the swimming pool. The gentlman working the bar(Jon) was there last year and not only did he remember who we were but he remembered what and how we drank. I am trully glad to see that someone or somthing on this property is still in good shape. The information desk should be pointed out at the Cabana Bar where Jon can tell you about anything you need to know and he can entertain you till you crack. Port Royal should cater to departments like the bar&grill to keep there only clientel hanging in there while they completly renovate the entire property. If the Bar or Lobby isn't so shabby when we give it our last try in this coming March, then we might not consider scratching this long time tradition off the list.

• Liked — The swimmup bar
  • Disliked — difficulty communicating
  • Tips/Secrets — priceline, Mexico, GO
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank mtbiggs
Georgetown, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2006

My husband and I were really looking forward to getting away for awhile. We really wanted to stay extra nites but they were booked. Thank God. We arrived Tuesday nite.
We saw the resort on their web site and it looked wonderful.. Our daughter was vacationing at another resort near there in August. She said that it looked fine from the beach.
We walked into the 1 bedroom condo and swept the floor and vacuumed the floor with a vacuum from the closet due to crumbs on the floor. My husband went down to the desk and was told that all condos are inspected and was approved. We had driven for 6 hours and thought that possibly the condo hadn't been used in a while.
The next day we went to the pool. It was filthy. The hot tubs buttons were gone. They were filthy. We saw mold going into the pools. We didn't use the pools or hot tubs.
My husband again went to the desk and told them about this. They said no one else had complained. There were very few people in the resort during the week. Yes, some people went into the pool. We didn't. We were also told that we had already paid for 3 nites and that a manager was not going to be in the resort until Friday pm. My husband called the GM phone number that was in the condo (on the welcoming letter). He was out of the office until the following week. We will be writing a letter to him. We left Friday am never having gone into the pool or hot tub. We had a good time elsewhere but not at Port Royal.
On Thursday evening we saw pool boys moving tables and chairs around. A vetinarian convention was checking in. Cigarette butts still overflowed the ashtrays all around the grounds. Pool still wasn't cleaned.
This resort needs to spend quite a bit of money. Condo we rented had old tired furniture. Sorry this is so negative but we were so disappointed.

Stayed September 2006
8 Thank marytexas
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2006

My wife and I were really looking forward to our three day stay at Port Royal. We had heard a lot of great things on this website and decided to check them out. First off we got stuck in the elevator on the way to our room. Once we got to our room, we found that the place was a complete disaster. It appeared that it hadn't been cleaned. Ahhh lets go take a dip in the pool! So we walked down to the pool (9pm) only to find a bunch of naked college kids (doing things they shouldn't be doing in public places) in one of the hot tubs on the east side of the pool. Well that pretty much spoiled the rest of our day so we went back to our room and went to bed. The next day, we went down to the swimming pool only to find other couples belongings spread out all over the pool area. We were told that we couldn't do this and when we complained about it management stated that residents are the only ones allowed to do this. Look out for the towel patrol! If you are seen carrying a towel near the boardwalk entrance the towel police will jump out from their hiding place (to this day we still can't figure out where this guy came from. It's like he appeared out of know where) and snatch it from you. They will even go down to the beach just to make sure you haven't broken the rules. Look out for the tall skinny blond haired guy. He is the worst one of them all. I have nightmares about this mysterious, creepy guardian of the pool towels. Leave me alone I say! Leave me alone! All in all I would not recommend this place to anyone. We had a terrible time.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The Towel Man
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank whalenjr
TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2006

My family and I stayed @ the Port Royal the week of 9/4 for 3
nights. We are dissapointed. I requested for an updated uint, however our unit was falling apart, such as the walls need painting, need new appliances, balcony/patio and patio furniture dirty, tv in master suite does not work. The furniture are in bad condition. The pool is dirty. We were told they cleaned the pool daily...doesn't look like it. One good thing I must say is the staff are friendly and helpful during our stay.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank artsyspice
Magnolia, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2006

This was our second stay at the Port Royal; the first was in a gulf front 3-bedroom and this time our family had two 2-bedroom gulf view condos and a 1-bedroom unit. The condos were very clean, very well equipped and recently updated. Our unit in particular (6304) was very nice and spacious, renovated very nicely. Housekeeping always asked if we need more of anything. (They graciously supply coffee, clothes detergent, dish & dishwasher detergent, paper towels, linens, pool towels, etc.)

The swimming pool is wonderful for the 6 children we had with us. It could have been kept much cleaner and there is significant aging of the surface around the pool, several areas had constant standing water, which had developed a very slippery algae, where my 4-year old fell. The new water slides are incredibly fun, but my 4-year-old (an outstanding swimmer) was not allowed to use them because he wasn't tall enough (48").

The mosquitos were horrible. Unloading the car, riding in the elevator, taking the stairs, walking to the beach, walking by the pool - all resulted in lots of stings. As long as you constantly wear repellant you are okay. I hate the smell of repellant, but it was a very necessary evil. We did not have a problem with mosquitoes at the beach, there was a nice breeze. There were lots of mosquitos at the pool.

First rate service, we chose Port Royal because we didn't need to bring anything but our clothes and some food - condos where you have to bring linens and housekeeping supplies are just too much work! The basic daily maid service is nice as well.

We will be back - with lots of mosquito spray!

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank rrrmom
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2006

My family and I had a great time at Port Royal. Our condo was very nice and updated. Our kids (10 & 14) had a blast on the slides at the pool. Just remember to get up early and put towels out where you want to sit for the day. There was plenty of chairs but only some with shade. The restaurant was very nice and the food was good quality. Better than any restaurant we ate at in Port Aransas (way overpriced!!). Have patience with the housekeeping staff. Sometimes they didnt show up until 4:00 or 5:00 but they did make it. Remember that you aren't the only one staying there!! Also if you are expecting the beaches to be like Cozumel then go to Cozumel. We will definately stay again next year.

• Stayed June 2006