“Never, Never, Never stay here again even if our lives depended on it!!”

Port Royal Ocean Resort & Conference Center
Reviewed 14 May 2007

We had the absolute worst service I have ever experienced at Port Royal. I had heard from several sources how poor the banquet management was but I couldn't believe it until it happened to us. The facilities were run down, the front staff was half asleep when we went in (they were not happy to be there), and the security was so rude. We used to come here 20 years ago when it was a lot newer, and Port Royal was such a great place. But I guess they haven't updated it since then. Not only are we never going to stay here again, but we are contacting as many people as possible to let them know how terrible it is. I know they are hurting for business, especially after having a drowning, but the service was horrible. Never again!!!

Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank darkknight02006

Reviewed 10 April 2007

My family and I were there from 3/31 to 4/3/07 and we had a blast. We had called in advance and requested one of the more recently updated condos and ours was amazing. I will post pictures soon. The condo was very clean and decorated really nice. We had a huge balcony that overlooked the pool and the gulf; so that was perfect. The property didn't look run down to me at all; but honestly we didn't explore much in the main building. The store was nice and saw the pizza place but didn't order. We spent a lot of time at the pool and it was a lot of fun. The water was chilly, but it was only 70 degrees out and cloudy; so what could we expect? The parking area is nice and really convenient. I loved having a kitchen and laundry facility. Our condo had DSL too which was great.
We really have absolutely no complaints. I was nervous after reading reviews on the web about mixed experiences; but ours was perfect. We wished we would have booked it for longer. We'll definitely be back!

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank mn2007vacationer
Reviewed 28 March 2007

We just got back from our 4 day stay at the Port Royal. We LOVED it! The resort is amazing, our condo was updated and VERY clean. The pool was a little cold. Would have been nice if it was heated, but the hot tubs were great! We loved everything about our stay. We have been to Port Aransas several times. Our family used to own a condo at The Pelican. (Which is also great!) This was our first time to stay at Port Royal, but we would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank kcjohns
Reviewed 13 March 2007

your taking a chance,,,restuarant smells,,,,,almost all employees i saw smoke on the property,,,socalled engineers,, are just maintence people who will maybe doit right the 1st time but dont count on it

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank johnnytexas
Reviewed 28 September 2006

I have to wonder how a place like Port Royal survives. My family has been staying there since the mid 80's and every year we get there the building seems more run down. We dont want to fly to Mexico when we have the island within about two hours, but we will have to relocate our annual reunion. The pool is bigger than anywhere in all the places I have ever seen but the grounds and common areas are in bad shape. I don't think they have renovated since they opened. The staff tries really hard to work with what there given and I know how that is being that i run a company. When I travel to a hotel that costs me around $1500.00 a week (which I don't mind doing from time to time), I expect the lobby to have 90 foot ceilings,rivers, coyponds and look similar to the entrance at the Mirrage in Vegas, but when we enter at Port Royal, thay have 9 foot ceilings with old cork tilling and what not. I get the feeling that I am beeing dropped off at the home. We also couldn't understand any of the staff whatsoever. I understood why they had foriegn exchange programs in place, but for heavens sakes they where at all of the wrong places. The only ammenity where we could understand anything being said was at the bar in the swimming pool. The gentlman working the bar(Jon) was there last year and not only did he remember who we were but he remembered what and how we drank. I am trully glad to see that someone or somthing on this property is still in good shape. The information desk should be pointed out at the Cabana Bar where Jon can tell you about anything you need to know and he can entertain you till you crack. Port Royal should cater to departments like the bar&grill to keep there only clientel hanging in there while they completly renovate the entire property. If the Bar or Lobby isn't so shabby when we give it our last try in this coming March, then we might not consider scratching this long time tradition off the list.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
7  Thank mtbiggs
Reviewed 19 September 2006

My husband and I were really looking forward to getting away for awhile. We really wanted to stay extra nites but they were booked. Thank God. We arrived Tuesday nite.
We saw the resort on their web site and it looked wonderful.. Our daughter was vacationing at another resort near there in August. She said that it looked fine from the beach.
We walked into the 1 bedroom condo and swept the floor and vacuumed the floor with a vacuum from the closet due to crumbs on the floor. My husband went down to the desk and was told that all condos are inspected and was approved. We had driven for 6 hours and thought that possibly the condo hadn't been used in a while.
The next day we went to the pool. It was filthy. The hot tubs buttons were gone. They were filthy. We saw mold going into the pools. We didn't use the pools or hot tubs.
My husband again went to the desk and told them about this. They said no one else had complained. There were very few people in the resort during the week. Yes, some people went into the pool. We didn't. We were also told that we had already paid for 3 nites and that a manager was not going to be in the resort until Friday pm. My husband called the GM phone number that was in the condo (on the welcoming letter). He was out of the office until the following week. We will be writing a letter to him. We left Friday am never having gone into the pool or hot tub. We had a good time elsewhere but not at Port Royal.
On Thursday evening we saw pool boys moving tables and chairs around. A vetinarian convention was checking in. Cigarette butts still overflowed the ashtrays all around the grounds. Pool still wasn't cleaned.
This resort needs to spend quite a bit of money. Condo we rented had old tired furniture. Sorry this is so negative but we were so disappointed.

Stayed: September 2006
8  Thank marytexas
Reviewed 12 September 2006

My wife and I were really looking forward to our three day stay at Port Royal. We had heard a lot of great things on this website and decided to check them out. First off we got stuck in the elevator on the way to our room. Once we got to our room, we found that the place was a complete disaster. It appeared that it hadn't been cleaned. Ahhh lets go take a dip in the pool! So we walked down to the pool (9pm) only to find a bunch of naked college kids (doing things they shouldn't be doing in public places) in one of the hot tubs on the east side of the pool. Well that pretty much spoiled the rest of our day so we went back to our room and went to bed. The next day, we went down to the swimming pool only to find other couples belongings spread out all over the pool area. We were told that we couldn't do this and when we complained about it management stated that residents are the only ones allowed to do this. Look out for the towel patrol! If you are seen carrying a towel near the boardwalk entrance the towel police will jump out from their hiding place (to this day we still can't figure out where this guy came from. It's like he appeared out of know where) and snatch it from you. They will even go down to the beach just to make sure you haven't broken the rules. Look out for the tall skinny blond haired guy. He is the worst one of them all. I have nightmares about this mysterious, creepy guardian of the pool towels. Leave me alone I say! Leave me alone! All in all I would not recommend this place to anyone. We had a terrible time.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled with family