“Disappointed”

Port Royal Ocean Resort & Conference Center
Reviewed 20 July 2007

Thinking we were staying at a 5 star resort with nice updated furnishings,
We were sadly mistaken, For spending over 1000.00 for 3 nights in a condo that looks like it was furnished by garage sale finds from the 80's.
Hasnt been updated in proably 20 years, walls could use painting,
furniture was minimal and the whole condo was very cheaply furnished. Bed spread was paper thin and the ceramic floors needed a good bleaching very dirty,
Upon reaching the room as you stand outside the door the door was very dirty with mildew and paint peeling off and looks like the whole outside need a good power washing even the stairwell was grungy

I was disappointed, I have never spent 292.00 a night a it looked like a college kids apt with old furniture

I wish I would have checked into this more. But all our friends say this place was great,

Maybe not all the condos were like ours but
ours was a 1 bedroom king and it was terrible.
We had to park very far from our room as well

Pools were gourgous long walk to beach but maintained nicely

I wish I could get some kind of refund because I feel ripped off

We left after 2 days even though we paid for 3

Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank Dunkysmom
Write a ReviewReviews (1,633)

Reviewed 4 June 2007

We stayed during Spring Break and the hotel did a great job of the wild Spring Break crowd at bay. The only down side was that the beach was a drive on beach, not too great for young kids. They have a little store on site that stocks the regular beach essentials. The pizza shop is located downstairs and it's not so great, but it's not horrible...convience is key.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 May 2007

We had the absolute worst service I have ever experienced at Port Royal. I had heard from several sources how poor the banquet management was but I couldn't believe it until it happened to us. The facilities were run down, the front staff was half asleep when we went in (they were not happy to be there), and the security was so rude. We used to come here 20 years ago when it was a lot newer, and Port Royal was such a great place. But I guess they haven't updated it since then. Not only are we never going to stay here again, but we are contacting as many people as possible to let them know how terrible it is. I know they are hurting for business, especially after having a drowning, but the service was horrible. Never again!!!

Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank darkknight02006
Reviewed 10 April 2007

My family and I were there from 3/31 to 4/3/07 and we had a blast. We had called in advance and requested one of the more recently updated condos and ours was amazing. I will post pictures soon. The condo was very clean and decorated really nice. We had a huge balcony that overlooked the pool and the gulf; so that was perfect. The property didn't look run down to me at all; but honestly we didn't explore much in the main building. The store was nice and saw the pizza place but didn't order. We spent a lot of time at the pool and it was a lot of fun. The water was chilly, but it was only 70 degrees out and cloudy; so what could we expect? The parking area is nice and really convenient. I loved having a kitchen and laundry facility. Our condo had DSL too which was great.
We really have absolutely no complaints. I was nervous after reading reviews on the web about mixed experiences; but ours was perfect. We wished we would have booked it for longer. We'll definitely be back!

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank mn2007vacationer
Reviewed 28 March 2007

We just got back from our 4 day stay at the Port Royal. We LOVED it! The resort is amazing, our condo was updated and VERY clean. The pool was a little cold. Would have been nice if it was heated, but the hot tubs were great! We loved everything about our stay. We have been to Port Aransas several times. Our family used to own a condo at The Pelican. (Which is also great!) This was our first time to stay at Port Royal, but we would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank kcjohns
Reviewed 13 March 2007

your taking a chance,,,restuarant smells,,,,,almost all employees i saw smoke on the property,,,socalled engineers,, are just maintence people who will maybe doit right the 1st time but dont count on it

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank johnnytexas
Reviewed 28 September 2006

I have to wonder how a place like Port Royal survives. My family has been staying there since the mid 80's and every year we get there the building seems more run down. We dont want to fly to Mexico when we have the island within about two hours, but we will have to relocate our annual reunion. The pool is bigger than anywhere in all the places I have ever seen but the grounds and common areas are in bad shape. I don't think they have renovated since they opened. The staff tries really hard to work with what there given and I know how that is being that i run a company. When I travel to a hotel that costs me around $1500.00 a week (which I don't mind doing from time to time), I expect the lobby to have 90 foot ceilings,rivers, coyponds and look similar to the entrance at the Mirrage in Vegas, but when we enter at Port Royal, thay have 9 foot ceilings with old cork tilling and what not. I get the feeling that I am beeing dropped off at the home. We also couldn't understand any of the staff whatsoever. I understood why they had foriegn exchange programs in place, but for heavens sakes they where at all of the wrong places. The only ammenity where we could understand anything being said was at the bar in the swimming pool. The gentlman working the bar(Jon) was there last year and not only did he remember who we were but he remembered what and how we drank. I am trully glad to see that someone or somthing on this property is still in good shape. The information desk should be pointed out at the Cabana Bar where Jon can tell you about anything you need to know and he can entertain you till you crack. Port Royal should cater to departments like the bar&grill to keep there only clientel hanging in there while they completly renovate the entire property. If the Bar or Lobby isn't so shabby when we give it our last try in this coming March, then we might not consider scratching this long time tradition off the list.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
#4 of 20 in Port Aransas
Omni Corpus Christi Hotel
Omni Corpus Christi Hotel
#3 of 80 in Corpus Christi

Been to Port Royal Ocean Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!