“True local 'hole in the wall'”

Beach Lodge Restaurant
Ranked #39 of 78 Restaurants in Port Aransas
Cuisines: American
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours
Pennsburg, Pennsylvania
“True local 'hole in the wall'”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Port Aransas is a secret that suffers because of its location about 2 hours from Padre Island. But to folks looking for a place to relax, the town is a delight.

The Beach Lodge restaurant is a true local watering hole sitting right on the beach. It's not much for atmosphere and the food is basic, but it's very good. They serve breakfast...typical eggs, bacon, etc., and a dinner that's good bar food. The specialty is the Texas boil...prawns, sausage, corn, hush puppies...lots of food that's a great buy for someone with an appetite.

If you're looking for great food with a classy atmosphere, head into Port Aransas from some of the local restaurants, but if you're looking for the place where the locals eat, this is it.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank bpuharic

North Texas
“Great View”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Only place in Port A I know to see the ocean from a restaurant. We stopped in just for that, a view and a drink. Our waiter was attentive and overall a good experience, but please work on the parking lot! I understand the food is good we didn't order any.

Yukon, OK
“Only restaurant on the beach”
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Great view of the beach and the beer is way cold. The food was average at best and a little pricey for what we got. The restaurant is a little grungy but it is right on the beach. People track in sand, etc. We will go back no matter what.

San Angelo, Texas
“one of my favorites....i never miss a trip to the 'beach bar'”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

over the years I have eaten here many times. it is the only place that's really on the beach....no better place to sit on the deck and and enjoy the ocean. had the oyster poor boy and it was very good. fresh and tasty in every way. they have your basic fried seafood fare and also a 'bucket'? louisiana type throw down meal. beer and wine. yea the kitchen may be a little slow, but the longer I get to stay here the better.

Odessa, TX
“Would not recommend”
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

Took forever to get sub-par food. I had the gumbo and it was terrible. Only meet in it was three shrimp the rest was celery and onions. And even then had zero flavor. I love food and did not eat but a few spoonfuls. Only perk was looking at the water while we ate. Maybe okay for a drink, but would not recommend the food at all!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank busymomof2Odessa_TX
TheBeachLodge, Manager at Beach Lodge Restaurant, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Dear busymomof2Odessa_TX,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am certainly disappointed that your visit was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of The Beach Lodge Restaurant for your experience.

Our popularity has escalated considerably this season and we sincerely regret that your food order suffered a longer than usual wait time. So that we may offer exceptional service to the hungry fans, which now flock to our restaurant, we have attained, and are in the process of training, the new staff that has joined our family.

Bon Appettit titled a blog on December 3, 2012 "Gumbo: A Stew with One Name, Infinite Varieties," and that is indeed true. My gumbo is unique, in that it utilizes the time intensive Cajun dark brown roux, and not the more common white or light blonde Creole roux, which you may be more use to. To my roux I add the classic Cajun trinity of celery, bell peppers and onions, as well as 16/20 Gulf White Shrimp, ham and okra. My roux is then served with our house baked Bavarian bread. I apologize if my gumbo was not presented to you in that fashion.

Due to the fact that there are as many types of gumbos as there are palates, we know that our gumbo cannot be a favorite dish to all. Our policy is to please the palates of our guests and we are always happy to provide our refreshing homemade coleslaw or a house salad as a substitute.

Should you choose to visit The Beach Lodge Restaurant again, please ask for me, so that I may personally welcome your return. Please know that we believe that all of our plates, should fill your belly and make you feel happy too, and that is what we always strive to do.

Warmest Regards,