“Please clean unit 41 furniture.”
Review of Island Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Aransas
Island Retreat
“Please clean unit 41 furniture.”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Everything is ok, except that the living room and the floor in the unit need to be really cleaned, I was very uncomfortable with my kids sitting in the living room sofas. Love island retreat and the spacious unit 41, all the utensils and enough room for 8. Clean bathroom. Grate location.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Vero02013

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed in unit #4. It's an easy walk to the beach but too far to carry all the things that make hanging out on the beach fun. So, we drove and parked on the beach the day we wanted to stay out on the beach all day. The walls were paper thin, so we could hear everything said in the room next door. Luckily they must have gone to sleep early because we slept great, didn't hear a thing over the rattle of the air conditioner.

The beds were comfortable and the place clean.

The pool looked nice but we didn't go in it.

Good deal for the money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Plano, Texas, United States
Reviewed 9 September 2013

A friend and I stayed here for a long weekend recently. She stays here each summer with her sister-in-law and knows me well enough to know I would not be happy in 'economy' digs so she upgraded us to a unit with a balcony. Good move on her part. Great ocean view and she kept saying how nice the room was compared to the one she usually stayed in. That comment made me wonder because our unit was furnished in "early Goodwill". One chair was had a cushion but only three straps of webbing so you really couldn't sit on it unless you wanted your tushy on the floor!

But really, who goes to the beach for the room? And the beach was fabulous, easy walk from the units though most drive their car down and park because of the great beach parking and ease of unloading. (Year long beach parking pass $10 and she already had one on her car)

Island Retreat really set up for families on a budget. There are two tennis courts (one actually has a net!) that have badly cracked surfaces. We played but we play for fun and exercise and were able to avoided the biggest cracks.

There were lots of kids enjoying the play ground and the two pools on property. And I would not hesitate to bring my grandkids here.

The staff is probably the biggest shortcoming of this place. When my friend called to get a room they told her our room did not have an ocean view and we would need to upgrade to get one...our balcony had a great view of the dunes and the ocean. At night we could see the lights of the ships lining up to come into Corpus the next day. When we got there and checked in and asked to split the bill they charged my card $60 more and when we brought it to their attention, they said "well she needs to pay you $60". When I suggested that they redo the charges they were mystified as to how to do that!

Still, for the price, and the view, and the beach...I would do it again (and bring my own toilet paper)!

Room Tip: Facing the ocean at least the second floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Suzanne S
Texas
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed at Island Retreat just a few weekends ago with my family. We had an excellent stay!

ROOM
When we made our reservation, I combed through the available units and took the virtual tour of each one to make sure I picked a unit that I liked. The one we chose (134) was renovated earlier this year and was in amazing condition, just as depicted in the photos. 134 is a second floor unit and even though there was an occupied unit above us (as well as below us) during our stay (as well as people on either side of us), we heard very little noise! I loved the fact that IR has quiet hours from 10pm to 7am -- made it very easy to stay there with our small children and know that they would get a good night's sleep. We had everything we needed during our stay and the only small issue I had was not understanding how to adjust the thermostat in our room. It was just a little too cold in our unit and we never figured out how to adjust the thermostat. I'm sure I could have called the office for help, but it was such a minor issue I didn't feel the need.

GROUNDS/POOL/PLAYSCAPE
The pool was clean and the shaded seating area near the pool was a huge plus. The playscape was another reason we booked here -- it was a great diversion for our kids during key times! However, be aware that there are stickers in the grass (not IR's fault -- I think this is common for grassy areas along the coastline) and we also encountered what we thought were fire ants near the playscape (something IR might want to look into in case there is anything they can do about that). One small suggestion for future improvement that IR might consider is adding some shade to the playscape, but it is still a great playscape and added bonus for families who have kids!

BOARDWALK/BEACH
The boardwalk to the beach was great -- allowed us to easily walk back and forth between our setup on the beach and our room -- definitely came in handy when our kids needed to take their afternoon nap. If you have a lot of things to take out to the beach (like we did), I suggest driving your car to the beach and dropping off your things out there -- you should have a beach permit for your car though, if you plan on leaving your car parked on the beach (which we did, and then we drove our car back to the hotel at the end of the day). Another reason we chose to stay at IR this time (as opposed to units outside the city of Port Aransas, where we have stayed the past few years) is because this area of beach has a small driving lane for cars to drive down the beach with the largest section of the beach blocked off to cars -- making it MUCH safer/less stressful for families who have small children with them (like we did). Some people view this as a downside (having to park your car a bit of a distance away from your beach shade/etc near the ocean) but we see it as a huge plus, knowing that our kids can run around near us after we've set up on the beach and we don't have to worry about them being hit by a car.

STAFF
I cannot say enough about how friendly, professional and efficient the staff were. Every encounter I had with them (office staff and security guard) was a positive one. I've been going to Port A several times a year since I was a kid, and most of the staff I've encountered at condos in Port A have been mediocre but not at Island Retreat. I was pleasantly surprised by the staff -- it made my long-awaited beach getaway weekend so much more enjoyable!!!! I'll leave you with one story that exemplifies how amazing they are -- when we got home we realized that somehow, my daughter had lost her DEARLY BELOVED stuffed kitty cat sometime between the time we were checking out of the room and the time we finally returned home. After desperately calling the places we'd stopped between IR and home, and turning all of our things inside out SEVERAL TIMES OVER, we thought we would never see her little stuffed kitty again. I called Island Retreat (but wasn't very hopeful, knowing how busy they are, etc) and they called me back a few days later with the best news I have heard all year! Our kitty is in the mail on his way back to us and I cannot thank the staff at IR enough. To be concerned enough to help us with the return of our child's beloved toy -- you do not find many hotels willing to go that extra mile anymore.

Thank you Island Retreat! You are our new favorite place to stay in Port A and we cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: Visit their official website to view photos and virtual tours of the rooms -- that will help you mak...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank sagirl5
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This was by far the best place my family and I have stayed on the island. But I will probably never stay there again. After we arrived home I realized we had left a piece of luggage. We called immediately after our discovery. We still had family on the island that could pick it up but they would not take 5 minutes of their time to see if it was in the housekeeping lost and found. So my husband had to make a special trip to the island after working all night before making his already 3 hour drive home from work. Being in the retail business myself, when you provide a service your customer should be your number one focus. I signed the paper about left belongings but really!?!! At my job we always go out of our to try and please our customers. There is always another place that will provide your service even better to keep their customers. Our total satisfaction in this establishment turned into complete disappointment!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Bulverde, Texas, United States
Reviewed 7 August 2013

For a business meeting, wedding, vacation travel or just a weekend get-away . . . what a wonderful place to spend your time. Boasting small to large accommodations with responsible leadership and capable employees, this island spot is convenient to shops, restaurants and night spots, yet peaceful and a great resting place for those who need a bit of "quiet". Well priced, well maintained and just a fun place to be. We've been traveling to Island Retreat for 45 years and have watched its progression and new make-overs with amazement. Casey and Selina at the front office make sure that all your needs are met so that you have the greatest experience possible. What a deal!

Room Tip: Rooms in the "horseshoe" around the pool are our favorite as we usually have seven at a ti...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed in unit #32 and enjoyed our stay. There were a few problems with some lights and the stove fan but the owner will take care of those. It was not a big deal. I was not happy with some of the towels provided by the resort. I did not know at the time I could call down and get them replaced. Also found out you can get new linens daily. Ask at the office. We could see the ocean from the balcony and one of the pools as well. We swam in both and they were nice. Kids had a blast. The coin laundry is across from the unit as well. There was security for the weekend so you had to have a pass to enter or leave. The first night I was a little concerned about some of the people around us. They said that there were no rooms anywhere on the island. However, after they cleared out we felt much better. They were in the units by the office. The walk to the beach is not long, however, easier to drive with all of our stuff. Don't forget to get a beach pass to put in your window at Stripes for $12. Good for a year. They have tennis courts, grills, volleyball court, and a basketball court. I would highly advise taking food. They have an IGA there as well. All restaurants were packed at night and the one time we ate out we were lucky to get in in 45 min. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Island Retreat II looks directly onto the ocean. We were in Retreat I. Still had a view. Not sure...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family