“Update to previous review - will no longer book for one night”
Review of Tarpon Inn

Tarpon Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Port Aransas B&B and Inns
Columbus, TX
“Update to previous review - will no longer book for one night”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

It's Friday morning and we were ready to head down to Port A for a quick trip of R&R at our favorite little hotel. Very disappointed to learn that as of the last 30 days or so, the Tarpon Inn will no longer rent on weekends for one night. Yes, it has always been a 2 night minimum - but, we have found that if we "take our chances" and wait until Friday or Saturday (day of check-in), if they have availability, they will rent the room to us. I was informed this morning that they no longer do this. It is a sad day....

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 26 March 2013

When looking for a place to spend our anniversary, The Tarpon Inn seemed like a natural choice for my husband and I (in our early 60's). It is VERY quaint. The staff, esp. Wendy and Deborah, we so warm and helpful, kind and accommodating! These 2 ladies couldn't have been nicer. Lots of recommendations and suggestions.

We stayed in room 30, the first room on the first floor nearest the office. Why? We wanted two beds and there are two double beds in that room. The room is smallish but certainly adequate; the bathroom was large, roomy even, and we had no problems with it.

Love the rocking chair and ceiling fans on the long front porch! Even appreciated the glass door knob on our room door.

There are no TVs in rooms or phones, but there is a TV in the gift shop off the lobby. Free coffee but no continental breakfast. I do wish for the price that something was available, even a muffin would have been good.

Frankie's Kitchen in super close by, across the street. Better and less expensive, for breakfast (lunch and dinner too!) is Cancun on the highway leading into town from the south. We drove in from Corpus Christi. Lots of locals were at Cancun and it is now way up on our list for places to return to! We had eggs, bacon and pancakes and it was such a great value. Thanks to Marisela, our waitress!!

Room Tip: We really like room 30.
1 Thank GilandKathyR
Port Lavaca, Texas
Reviewed 25 March 2013

The only thing good was the Roosevelt and it was excellent. The rooms were way too small, the heater didn't work well, no tissues in the room....really? It stunk, too much traffic, not a a suitable chair in the room, bad lighting, no toliet brush, no coffee maker and the office didnt open early, had to go to store down the road, walls way toooo thin,. Listened to two women having sex and then talking until 5 am! I'll stop there. Don't go!

3 Thank Peggy462

Travellers are raving about these Port Aransas hotels

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 4 March 2013

My wife and I spent a weekend here at the recommendation of a friend very familiar with this area. The rooms were small but full of character and personality. I of course only saw our own room but was told all the rooms were a little bit different in terms of decor and layout. There was no TV, no phone, no other modern amenities to speak of and that was perfectly fine! We weren't in Port Aransas to sit and watch TV anyway, we were there to enjoy the beach and the local food and drink. The bed was comfortable and the AC/heater worked. The water in the shower never did get very hot, and the noise of people walking by and talking is easy to hear, but otherwise no complaints. The location to the bars and restaurants in town was great, and the beach was a short drive. Everything we wanted to do was in very close walking distance. We would recommend The Tarpon Inn to a friend and would stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: I'd probably choose an upstairs room in the future, or at least one away from the staircases to...
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

The only reason for staying here is it's great location, however, our bed sheets had holes in them, the heater we were given didn't work and the bathroom was grubby. I thought that the room had a damp smell but my husband didn't seem to notice. We checked out 2 nights early.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank GMK1970
Austin, TX
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I have stayed here for at least 6 years. Until the new owner, Leroy, purchased the Tarpon Inn about 2 years ago, this was a sleepy little place to stay in a sleepy fishing town and priced accordingly.
I stayed here for the first time in about 2 years this past weekend and frankly I am saddened by what I see. The previous gregarious front desk staff, who added to the fun and quirkiness, has been replaced by young zombies who give the impression you are disturbing them from their slumber. It seems they have forgotten why they are behind the desk.
Meanwhile the hotel is now pricing its rooms as if it is a boutique hotel. I am fine with that if it was even CLOSE to a boutique hotel. Aside from a fresh coat of paint nothing has changed. The towels are as thin, and old, and the roughly the same size as a 10 cent stamp; complete with holes. (see attached photo).
There are no hair dryers in the room--I can't t remember the last time I stayed in a hotel that didn't supply a hair dryer unless you trooped down to the desk and asked for one. To add insult to injury when I went to the front desk looking for one I was handed a hair dryer that was intended to be mounted on the wall--picture is included. Really.
The floor, which has the potential to be a beautiful REFINISHED hardwood floor is instead a filthy, sticky unfinished wood floor. Apparently there is no way to clean a hardwood floor?? Or sand it down and finish it so that it could be mopped clean?

The shower had certainly not been cleaned as the walls still had hair from the previous guest on them and a half used shampoo bottle residing there as well. Repulsive. Ironically, the Tarpon Inn has the ubiquitous sign in the bathroom guilting you into reusing your towels to Save the World and yet the hot water heater is apparently far far away from the room. When I called the front desk (on my mobile phone) to ask about the status of some hot water to take a shower, I was told that I just had to let the water run "about 10 minutes" to get hot water...I won't even begin to describe the water pressure--I would have had better luck standing in a drizzle. Outside.
I attempted to use what has to be the World's Smallest Ice Bucket, and left unattended and unbeknownst to me, it had a crack in it and proceeded to leak all over the entire dresser and drenched everything in its path.
A few words to the owner and managers of the Tarpon Inn::::you may be able to soak people and make them think you are some kind of first class hotel but one stay there would open anyone's eyes. YOU are NOT a boutique hotel; so if you plan to continue charging like one you need, at the very least, a CLEAN establishment. Pay attention to the details. Buy some new towels. How much could that possibly cost you??? Put hairdryers in the rooms. Consider teaching your front desk staff the value in having someone who cares about the guests and the hotel; and wake them up from their slumber. They MAY be "cute" but that is only fun for about 1 minute. It is abundantly clear none of them have a clue about how to treat guests in a hotel. Checking into a dorm room? Perhaps.
Your policy of NO LATE CHECKOUTS, NO WAY. NO HOW. is insulting. Hotels are supposed to accommodate their guests. When I asked if I could have a late checkout, and I was willing to PAY extra, I was flatly told someone was checking into my room. On a Sunday. in February.
It was clearly not true.
Congratulations. You have lost a one time regular customer and I suspect I am not the only one. Perhaps you can stay afloat with new guests and old ones who will look the other way; but your current prices demand some attention to detail, cleanliness, customer service, and a welcoming atmosphere at a minimum.

Room Tip: Pay the up charge and get, what anywhere else would be, a SMALL hotel room. If you go for economica...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AustinMjo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Quaint building in a good location with a partial view of the bay from their balcony rocking chairs. This place was fine for my weekend away from San Antonio to relax and study by the water with my dog. My room was large enough for a double bed and a reclining wicker chair as well as dresser. That's pretty much all that's in the room. Don't expect TV, phone, microwave or fridge. The bathroom was quite small and little water pressure. It was pretty much what was expected based on their website. Staff were friendly enough, but seemed unsure of recommendations of local places and not quite the service of some other places on the island. My favorite part of the place was the wrap around balcony with the chairs. Not bad, but I likely won't return as I found another place I prefer.

Room Tip: Ask if you prefer a room with a larger bathroom or tub. I believe they are available.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo