“Great Place to stay with family and pets”
Review of Plantation Suites

Plantation Suites
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Port Aransas
Laredo, Texas
“Great Place to stay with family and pets”
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I stayed here with two teens and a big dog. The staff was very friendly over the phone and when checking in. This hotel accepts pets for a fee, that was the main draw for me. It is very pet friendly.

The room was nothing special, but it was average size and clean, a little musty smelling which is typical for coastal rooms. I appreciated that the floor was tiled so we had no worries with the dog.

There are a lot of amenities, volleyball, horseshoe pits, BBQ's and picnic areas, a gazebo. There is a nice pool along with a hot tub. They had a nice selection for breakfast.

The location to the beach could have been better. The beach isn't far, but the access to it is. We had to walk quite a ways to get to a beach access. It wasn't a bad walk, nor a very long one, but it wasn't just a short jaunt.

I base my ratings on the star level of the hotel. Of course a 5 star is going to be nicer than a 2 star and it's not fair to compare them in my overall rating.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank luvabargain

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We booked our room a week in advance and paid for it. Our room was not clean yet and then they gave it someone else and offered me another which was not ready and did not have the same accomodations we paid for. Their sofa beds have old thin mattress and stained. The pictures on their wedsite is not what you get. We skipped their free breakfast because it was a mess. No one there to clean. Staff was not very helpful and inconsiderate. I recommend staying at the Holiday Inn. Rooms are clean and friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank traveler12241969
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Another wonderful trip to Port A, and another WONDERFUL stay at Plantation Suites. We were greeted like family, and just had to wait just a few minutes for a room as they had a large group leaving. The staff could not of been nicer. Our room was nice, clean and spacious. A welcome, that's for sure. We have never had any noise problems here, and we have always felt secure and safe. A big bonus in my book. The breakfasts are always great, and LOVE the waffles....Beach access in either direction leaving the hotel is just a couple of minutes away. So easily located. We cannot wait to come back.....Thanks again you guys for yet another incredible memory!

Room Tip: Book in advance....
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Texas
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The room was clean and had plenty of space. The office staff was friendly. Their breakfast was good with waffles and all the other continental findings. There were a lot of kids enjoying the pool and a lot of people outside hanging out after dark. This place is not fancy and is a bit dated, but I have no complaints. It felt safe.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MELISSA K
Reviewed 3 June 2011

The rooms were not clean. The pool was dirty and the walls are paper thin! Don't be fooled by the 4-5 ratings. It's noisy at night and you can hear the guest all around you. Needless to say we'll never go back!

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before you check- in
  • Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Seasea033
New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I did a lot of research to stay in Port A for memorial day weekend.
I call Plantation as I see they have special packages.
I read the website very carefully and read the terms and conditions, and no where on there do they say they exclude memorial day weekend. However, when I called they would not honor my special. The lady (named Tracy) was very rude.
I will let everyone know that that is NOT the place to stay...ever.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank makaylamatheson
Canyon Lake, Texas
Reviewed 18 May 2011

I've stayed at Plantation twice, once with a huge group for the SandFest, and once with a smaller group of friends. The location is great, not far from the beach at all. The rooms are super clean and we had plenty of towels and the beds are awesome! We had adjacent upstairs rooms and that was kinda difficult carrying all our stuff up and down stairs but other than that, it was just fine. The staff was excellent when our friends in the other room locked themselves out...twice. They unlocked the door and gave them another room key. Continental breakfast is pretty decent. They have a Texas-shaped waffle maker, which was AWESOME!!

We picked this place because of the sand volleyball court but if you're going to play, be cautious as there are stickers EVERYWHERE. That would be one of the things I would fix. That and the gas grill at the pool/hot tub area was for employee use only. That kinda sucked. The hot tub was nice and hot though, not just a mini-pool like some places, There weren't any towels in the pool area like there were supposed to be. But all in all, I love staying here and will probably do so again in the future.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends