“My daughter got head lice here.....TERRIBLE. property !”

and 1 more site!
Double Barr Cottages
“My daughter got head lice here.....TERRIBLE. property !”
Reviewed 25 January 2013

This has got to be the biggest ripoff on the whole island!! When you look at a room, they show you the one cottage that's kept in decent condition. And then when you check-in you realize you got taken . The cottages smell like mold and it takes less than 12hours for the mold and mildew to show back up in the "cave" of a shower and inside, yes inside, the medicine cabinet . But wait, there's more: cockroaches scatter when you turn on the lights and for days the kitchen was infested with ants. Even though the place was furnished with pots and pans and dishes, i went and bought our own because theirs were too scummy to think about using. Wait.....it gets worse.....my daughter actually caught HEAD LICE while we were there, and after talking to other residents we found that to be very common. This place is noisy, dumpy, the fish house never gets cleaned so it reeks. But the final straw? One "guest" that was staying here long term had several aggressive dogs.....one of which bit off the finger of a little boy who was playing outside . Did the management do anything? Nope!!! At that point we left even though we had been paid through the month. If you want a noisy, smelly, bug-infested vacation then this is your place . But if you want a nice place to stay where you feel safe and get what you pay for then keep on looking!

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank arabkelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 24 October 2012

The cottages were very cute and quaint. The cottages were in a great location, we parked the car and didn't move it until we went home at the end of a great weekend. The owner was very nice and welcoming. We felt like family!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Erica W
New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This was exactly what we were looking for; comfortable, convenient and affordable. We enjoyed our stay very much. Managment was very very nice and accomodating; they turned on the a/c before we got there so that we had nice cool rooms and also gave us the option of late check out so that we didn't have to rush out at the end of our stay. The beach is only 2 blocks away. Resturaunts and shopping within walking distance as well. We will deffinately choose Double Bar Cottages for future visits to Port A.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank audrey a
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Cockroaches...not cleaned for checkin...gas leak because of "pilot lights"... NO doors on "2 bedrooms"...My family (kids 4,2,1 and pregnant wife) tried staying here. no doors on bedrooms, gas leak, and uncleanliness prompted us to talk to onsite manager. We had booked 4 nights. After seeing the property we asked the manager what our options were. we were told we would be stuck paying for 1 night, but would be refunded the other 3 nights. We accepted this, and felt it was worth it to accept our loss of 1 night and move on. So we then left, found other lodging. Then later that night (after checking in elsewhere, and paying for it) the manger told us we would not be given any refund whatsoever. LIAR LIAR LIAR. It is one thing to falsely advertise a 2 bedroom unit (with no bedroom doors, b/c fire code wouldn't allow doors), but to have a gas leak is a huge safety violation. Then on top of that to flat out lie and tell us we would be able to be refunded, when in fact they did not - that is unethical.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank rob h

Travellers are raving about these Port Aransas hotels

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Do not stay here. I booked a reservation here and was quoted a price and was put in the books, so I confirmed my vacation days at my job. When I called back to confirm reservations and give my card for half of price in advance I was told a price $300 higher. I emailed the owner but was told she wont honor my original quote. I been going to Port Aransas for 15 years and if you want a good honest friendly place to stay give Connie at Capt'n Dan's a call. She was full this year so had to find another place to stay but she has become a friend from staying there every year and will make sure I call her in plenty of time next year for a room.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Greg M
Oak Point, Texas, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The location was .SUPER. The office manager was Very nice and helpful!! She Knew it was our anniversary and hooked us up with a local cruiser that had a sunset boat ride with dinner.Very Very affordable even during peak season The Cottage was a tropical delight. COZY. Close to all the shops and the beach. Close location to the local Seafood Market in case you wanna cook up your own Seafood. I would recommend it to all my friends. And trust me they are already asking....Check em out

Room Tip: If you want a lil more privacy there is a cool Pink Cottage behind Port A seafood and it is right in...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Heather H
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Be warned if your are planning a clean, comfortable vacation do not count on this place being that! We were shocked to find left over clothes from previous renter which meant they did not clean the room. Also there were a ton of roaches hiding behind the 1960's coffee maker. They do not put pictures because no one would ever rent from them, we had no toilet paper the room read two queen when what they really meant was two quarter fulls. The decorum is from very bad yard sales. The shower had hair stuck to the wall, when you go on vacation you want to relax not clean as if your life dependent on it and have extra expenses like bleach and roach fumigators. We tried to get a refund for the rest of the nights but they gave every excuse why the place looked like it did and refused. The cleaning lady was living at one of the cottages and as we came back she asked what was wrong with the room she had just cleaned it? Looking at her I can tell why she would think it was clean! I do not recommend this place to any one it is gross and very dirty, I would not want my animals to sleep there need I say more. I understand they are trying to run a business but false advertisement is not the way to go.
They know if they did put pics of rooms they would have no business!

Room Tip: Read the reviews even if you are desperate, we had a cancellation on us and were desperate. we shoul...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family