“Terrible, stay somehwere else, don't waste your money”

Beachgate CondoSuites and Hotel
San Antonio, Texas
“Terrible, stay somehwere else, don't waste your money”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I would say that we were very disappointed in the shape the room was in upon check in. The floors were filthy. No just a little dirty in a couple spots, but filthy, from one side to the other. Also the kitchen trashcan was filthy, over full, and stunk. I let the front office clerk know, and she sent out maintenance, who changed out the trash can, and left us a mop and a bottle of cleaner to spray the floor with. No mop bucket, or anything else. My wife spent an couple hours sweeping and mopping the floor. There was enough trash under the bed and the couches to fill the trashcan back up halfway, including dirty underwear, shorts, q-tips, used paper towels,food wrappers, etc. Even after cleaning all of this up on our own, we still had the bottoms of our feet and our socks stained black from how dirty the floor still was at that point. The inside of the fridge, and inside all the cabinets were dirty with sand, dirt, food particles, and dead bugs. I wiped down all surfaces with Clorox wipes before unloading our groceries. There were damaged walls from old pictures on the walls, and the unrepaired damaged behind the recliner and couches show that there is not any pride taken in the management and care of this facility. There is no excuse for the condition that this room was in! We came here to vacation and take it easy, and shouldn't have to spend hours cleaning the room!

I found the staff pleasant when I visited the office; however, when my wife called to ask about local restaurants, she felt like the clerk was very rude on the phone, and that she was very unhelpful.

The rates are up there, and at that price point, there shouldn't be any issues like this. At this price point, one expects that their stay will be perfect. I could have stayed at the Omni for half this price and driven to the beach, and been a lot happier!!!

Room Tip: Stay somehwere else
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank John S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Spring, Texas, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My family has been staying at the Beachgate for several years, but between last year and this year there must have been an ownership change. We have NEVER been exposed to such DEPLORABLE customer service as we were on this trip. My family occupied five rooms over the course of three nights. We never saw a manager, nor did we have access to one when certain "issues" presented themselves. My husband, myself and our three young children were placed in a lock-off type room for the first night, only to find that the door leading into the other rooms was not locked. Our key did not fit the lock. The front office staff informed us that only management had the key to lock those doors, and they would not be on site until 4:30 the next day. Seriously? In effect, we shared a hotel room with strangers. We changed rooms the next day. Our new room (a three bedroom/three bath condo) had no towels and no toilet paper...nor did my cousins' room. The office's reply at 8:00 pm was that we checked in early, and they had been busy and it was our fault because we had rushed them. The phone did not work in our three bedroom condo, so my mother and my aunt had to walk to office to request a new phone and towels AND toilet paper. They also wanted the manager--which of course was off. The staff member was so utterly awful to my mother she even called her a b-@%& as she walked out the door. I was stunned. What kind of an establishment calls their customers names? And what kind of hotel makes the guests walk to front office to retrieve basic necessities such as towels and toilet paper??
The next day I requested to speak to the manager to which I was told she was off on Saturdays. I left my name and number. When "Amy" finally condescended to call me back and got my voicemail, the message she left was miles past inappropriate making sure I was aware of the fact that she called me on her day off. Seriously, a hotel SHOULD have management on SITE during their HIGH SEASON. Thanks to the incompetent staff, our last weekend of the summer was ruined.

Here are some high points:
Outlets in the kitchen don't all work--we got to figure that out on our own.
Sheets on the beds were wet--awesome night's sleep
moldy shower curtains
Smelly dumpster
No tissues anywhere
Dirty sponges in the kitchens
No paper towels in the kitchens
No extra trash bags
Dryer in the condos don't work
Dish washer doesn't work
Not enough coffee cups for the amount of people the condo sleeps

Do yourself and your family a favor....stay at the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Dallas L

Travellers are raving about these Port Aransas hotels

Hondo, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed at BG for 3 nights (7/21 - 7/24) - Check in was quick, but young lady who assisted us acted as though we were an inconvenience to her. Stayed in a queen hotel room, which was not large, but very clean. AC in room worked great! We were in 532A which was a bit confusing when you get to the room. Exterior door shows 532A & 532B - locking exterior door opens to short hallway - door ahead with lock, door to right, no lock. We were in the room to right, with no lock. Could be locked from inside, but not outside. A little alarming to say the least. Office sells bags of ice, which is a plus, but was assisted by same young lady, who again, acted as though it was an inconvenience. Only once on 7/22, did we encounter someone different who was pleasant & helpful. Nice change. On 7/23, called office to get clean towels at 2 & was told they would send some right up. Left dirty towels in short hallway. Came back 2.5 hrs later, dirty towels were gone, but no clean towels. Called office, must have gotten the same young lady who didn't apologize or anything, just said that maids were in a meeting & I would have to wait. When I protested, she said she would send some up & they arrived within 10 min. Check out - my husband encountered the same young lady, who again, acted as though he was inconveniencing her. Pros -close to beach, entrance from beach, clean rooms, great AC, nice pools, & hot tub. Cons - poor, poor customer service. Would I stay here again, yes - but only because I like the location. Will know what to expect next time where customer service is concerned.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Fort Worth
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We go to a different beach every couple of years, and we stayed at Beachgate when we went to Mustang Island. As always, I read the reviews before making reservations, and as always, I took them with a grain of salt. Here's the deal folks...if you want the memorable experience of being pampered in a 5 star hotel, find a place in town. If you want to stay right on the beach, don't expect the Ritz-Carlton unless your daily hotel budget is 4 figures. When people are coming in from the beach every day, there's gonna be sand, there's gonna be water, and over time, it's gonna take a toll. So if you're gonna freak out because you walked across the floor barefoot and felt a few grains of sand, don't stay at the beach, because it can't be helped. If you're gonna be disgusted to find a damp spot somewhere in the carpet, don't stay at the beach, because it can't be helped.
This is a decent place within walking distance to the beach. Not the cheapest place on Mustang Island, but it is one of the more affordable. I've stayed in nicer places at the beach, and I've stayed in a lot worse. This place is pretty much what one should expect for the price. We had an enjoyable stay; whatever imperfections we experienced were to be expected.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank LJGull
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2013

These are some extremely nice Condos. Located very close to the Beach, with clean modern rooms and a really great and enjoyable view of the Beach. Nice fresh water pool to also enjoy and very close to walk or drive onto the beach. Overall top notch place in general....

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rogers44
houston
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Sorry fans of Beachgate, it's time for tourists to stand up to the nonsense. Yes the staff was polite and friendly, but. When I finished the three flights of stairs and walked into my room I was greeted by a carpet from the dark side. It seriously looked like it was there when the building was built. It appears to have sunk by the thickness of the orginal underlaying carpet pad which I have to assume has disintegrated. Ripped and torn the dirt tone carpet was the kind my wife said, "my parents won't let me walk on barefoot." The AC worked great, there was one mug in the cabinet and one wine glass, a touch of elegance I didn't miss. One light bulb was out, shows no one checks. Sleep was a problem because the refrigerator right by the bed made a loud and continuous growling noise. The tiny TV was from the old tube days, but who cares, unless it rains!
Then after a day out we came back and found the door unlocked. My wife and I both know it was locked and that we checked it. So nothing was missing, it was just unlocked. I called and got a clerk right away but it was blamed on the cleaning people. Still that makes one very nervous.
Later when we heard guests in the room next door arriving, making lots of loud noise we hoped they would quiet down. We had just finished showering when suddenly the door between the rooms opened and we were shocked to see someone staring in at us. Again we called and found it had been left unlocked by the staff. Apologies and it someone came quickly to lock it. Now we were totally unnerved.
Do you think we got any compensation for this invasion of our privacy caused by negligent staff? NO. And I made it a point to tell the clerk that this needed to be reported to the owners so we could have something to show their good faith.
It is my hope that the carpet is replaced and that we receive some refund for our embarassment. If so I'll report it on Tripadvisor right away of course.
In total nice people seem to be willing to give inferior service because the demand is so high for rooms with a view.
I'm just now staying in Florida for less money in a beachfront condo with two bedrooms, full kitchen that overlooks white sand beaches. A longer drive well worth it. Sorry Port A, you're losing my enthusiasm quickly. This is the third overpriced and comparably inferior hotel experience I've had. I begin to think Port A takes it's customers for granted, and it's time tourist stand up and demand better.
Waiting for a remedy.

Room Tip: You can get a beach view if you ask, you can walk to the beach in few minutes from any room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johan7suto
Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

Not excited to be stuck here the whole weekend. Great location but not very clean. After checking the sheets I called to the front desk for another set, she brings up one fitted sheet.. still hair in that one too... I finally had to take the sheets from the futon and get another comforter.. they will be hearing about this is the morning

• Stayed May 2013