“happily surprised”

Beachgate CondoSuites and Hotel
Kansas City, Kansas
“happily surprised”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

When we booked this hotel/motel for our vacation, i was a bit leery because the reviews weren't very positive and the property website made it sound very "bare-bones". When we arrived, we were very happilly surprised. The rooms were fully stocked with all the necessary stuff; pots, pans, dishes, flatware, cooking utensils, coffee maker, coffee,etc... We did have a little trouble with the WiFi, but if we moved out onto the porch, it was fine. There was a heated swimming pool and hot tub. The customer service was very good. It was clean, no bugs!!! I am glad i didn't listen to all the negative comments and was able to rate this trip myself. We had a fantastic visit, and YES we will visit again.

Room Tip: From what I saw, all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sthomasson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 2 January 2014

8/19-8/21/13
Booked this hotel because they allowed a dog. We stayed on 4th floor of motel. Room was not super clean but I wiped it down and felt better (there was trash under the beds and the bathroom was just a bit old and gross).
There were 2 queen beds. There were no pillow cases on the pillows, so we called up for cases. They gave us 4, and 2 of them had dried blood stains (I later learned this may be a sign of bed bugs).

My mom stated the next morning she felt like something was crawling on her but didn't see anything. We noticed a few bugs (one floating in dog dish, one on my beach hat, one on bed) but we had no idea what they were. They looked more like ticks. We saved one to show the staff but accidentally threw it away. When I got home I looked them up and they looked like pictures of bed bugs on internet, so I called and spoke to someone at the front desk. She stated the manager wasn't available, so she would pass on the message. I followed up the call with an email to the head of maintenance, and an email to the manager. I tried several more times by email and finally was able to reach the manager by phone almost 2 months later. She seemed very apologetic, and even confirmed they were bedbugs, because the people who checked in after us complained of them. She stated they replaced the furniture in the room. She offered a refund and a discount for another stay. I had to follow up by email and phone for another month before I saw only a partial reimbursement (for one of two days). Of note, my mom saw bites on her arms and legs about 5 days later. I read that this delayed reaction to the bites can occur.

Overall disappointed with this place, firstly due to the bugs, but also because they do not maintain their grounds (if guests are rude enough to leave their dog's poop on the ground, it stays there, so there is a dog poop smell everywhere, and you have to be careful where you walk). Also disappointed in the staff. On some hotel websites, they also mention a disinterested staff.

Nice that they allow dogs, but beware for sure.

Room Tip: Avoid hotel, the condos may be better.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank R C
Gainesville, Texas
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed here for a friends wedding in November 2013. We got two hotel rooms with fridges and mini stoves that linked up so our kids could have their own room. Considering that there is NOTHING to do on this island in November and that the rooms and everything in them is from the 1980's and falling apart I think they were pretty overpriced. Maybe in the summer it'd be a steal, but in the winter? Nope.
Like I said a lot of it was falling apart, but the linens were clean, the TVs worked and the showers got hot. The view IS beautiful and the beach is very close. It's NOT close to anything else though, not walking distance to a gas station or restaurant unless you want to be walking for 10-15 minutes.
The wooden staircases and decks seem relatively sturdy... but they made me nervous and my toddler fell down a flight of them (he was fine).
The pool is heated and the hot tub gets nice and hot, so that's great!
The laundry room was hard to find and expensive, and the dryer didn't do a great job (ran out of change and had to take my damp clothes home as-is).
Overall, next time, I'll try to find something else.
P.S. If you do stay here, do not enter from the beach- people kept getting stuck in the sand.

Room Tip: The double hotel rooms linked by a hall seem to be a better value than the condos
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed 29 October 2013

It is a not a 5 star place, but that I think is not what most are looking for with this type of place. The rooms where clean for the most part and the staff was friendly and helpful. And you cannot beat the proximity to the beach. Overall we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mbthom1971
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The rooms (suite) were good. There was a washer and dryer in the room, which was a welcome addition. The building was just a few dozen meters from the Gulf beach, which was very nice. We did not avail ourselves of the housekeeping services because we did not need anything and the people did not intrude on our privacy, which was appreciated.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Keller, Texas
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This property has both motel-type rooms and condo units. We stayed in a single queen bed motel room over the weekend. Small, but adequate for our needs for a short trip. Small kitchenette area with sink, cabinets, toaster, microwave, coffee maker and fridge. Fridge was 3/4 size with separate freezer. Microwave did not work, but everything else did. Room was relatively clean. Kitchen was supplied with only a few basic cups, bowls, plates, etc. I would recommend bringing what you need with you. Room was damp and air conditioner noisy, but worked ok. Bathroom small but serviceable. We had a room on the second floor, bldg 2, that faced the parking lot. Would have preferred first floor, facing ocean, but that was not available when I contacted hotel. Check in and check out was quick with no problems. Wi-fi and TV worked ok in our room. Very few towels provided, bring your own extra towels. Short walk to the beach, seemed to be one of the closest properties to the actual beach. Two swimming pools, one hot tub, one of the pools is heated. BBQ areas, well kept grounds. All in all, I think a good value for our $$. We paid $90 per night. I found the cheapest rates on the Beachgate website. Oh, and a plus for us: pet friendly, extra $15 per night for doggie. Beach bar / restaurant right next door for quick snacks and drinks. Will stay again and try a condo unit next time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I have been going to port a for 50 years. beachgate is where I have finally settled each summer for 'beach weekend'. . reasonably priced and the closest housing to the beach....just walk thru the dunes 100 yds and u have a safe beach with protection from the cars...or go down the beach just a little way and u can drive right up to the water. condos vary in price and view. we are always on the front and have great ocean view. units are designed to be either 1,2 or 3 bedrooms with large living and kitchens. just off 11th and minutes from down town. rent a golf cart and see the island. the best thing is that beachgate is right next to beach lodge, another motel, which has the 'beach bar and restaurant'. walk from your room thru the fence and 25 yards to friendly open restaurant and bar with porches looking directly at the gulf. great fried oyster sandwich and other gulf treats. beer and wine...u can stay at fancier places but u cant just walk out of your room to the beach....several pools

Room Tip: ask for second floor or higher for great view...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family