“Not so great.They should put some heart and soul into this place.”

A Laughing Horse Lodge
Reviewed 16 June 2014

As our kids have grown up we have come to Port Aransas 6 times in the last 12 years. This was a disappointment. At almost 300 a night I expect more than was provided There really should be some written plan on how things work. Parking ,Trash, towels, dishes, things we can borrow.What is a good fishing charter. Goodplaces to eat. Just general southern hospitality. The rooms were not clean. They were clean like I clean my own house but not what I expect of for a place to stay at a premium price. The place is in need of a maintanace person. Stove not leveled so a pot of water rocks the stove. Electric shock given when plugging things in( grounding not right). Back door wouldn't shut correctly hinge screws not tight. The bathroom light flickered even when turned off (grounding?) The dishes were not clean. I ended up washing everything. There is no dishwasher. I feel like the owner must be pulling a lot of money out of this place and very little returned at this point. We have stayed at Perdido Key,Gulf Shores, Siesta Key, Seaside, Bar Harbor, San Diego , Galveston, Cocoa Beach even San Francisco during the other years as our water vacations. Prices in these places were similar however the place and service were not even close. Shabby chic is ok by me but there was one chair that no one in the family would sit in from the dog smell. It just was just not a beach house chair. The window AC's struggled to keep up. The cold water shower faucet was stripped out so it would turn on but if you turned it a little further it would turn off. Kids don't get this. So you get full on hot water while adjusting the cold. Even after you show them kids dont get it. There is a sign that says cold is hot and hot is cold but nothing about cold water is a spin of the wheel on or off. No colander to drain stuff. No sponge with scrubby side to clean dishes. A 5 pack of sponges at the dollar store is still a dollar. It is a shame. It could be a cool place but the whole thing is that no one really seemed to care that we were there. I am not a chain hotel person. I always have found you get attention the details from the small guy. Not so in this case. Oh and the pill bugs were as other have said numerous and deep. We stayed for 5 days. I swept each day, they kept coming back. Do I care, not really but others should know. I am more worried about why they kept dying. What was sprayed? I did a last minute check of every room and looked under the bed. Wish I had not. There were hundreds of dead ones and a spider had a nest with eggs hanging off the box springs. There was plenty of dog hair as well. We had a great time in spite of the place. What else could we do spend a day finding another place packing and unpacking. Whining to the manager. I am just not sure what I should have done. Wasting my free time fighting and being mad is not on my list of fun things to do while on vacation. Maybe it is as good as it gets for the dog owner. This may have been the last time for us at Port A.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool. But I could not clear this out on the IPad. I sure didn't want to rew...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Eliderek

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We try to make it down to Port A every year. We always stay at A Laughing Horse if there are any openings. They always accommodate our furbabies without any problems. Be careful for sandspurs in the grass but other than that it is perfection! Wouldn't stay anywhere else :) We prefer to go in late September because the town isn't as crowded then, evenings on the patio are outstanding!

Room Tip: The freestanding bungalows are the best!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nursemom04
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Same as our previous visits, the rooms are clean and the premises are maintained inside and out. The staff is always accommodating and helpful. I've timed it and it is literally 4 minutes walk to the beach and only several blocks from shopping and eating establishments. We'll be back in the fall!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BeckWilhite
Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you're looking for an authentic beach hotel, this is the place. Cozy rooms. Very clean. A short walk to the beach. Stayed in 5B ( the Dark Horse). Its next to the street-but we had zero issues with noise. We didn't take our mutt this time, but we will next time. And we will be back again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I have stayed at the Laughing Horse Lodge mutiple times on my visits to Port Aransas. I adore this kitschy little sea-side gem! All the comforts of home with a very nice staff to help you with anything. The cleaning & the managment are very personable. You have a patio with your own table & grill. There is a fish shack for cleaning your catch & a teriffic dog bath area. I love how simple this place is. You do not have to worry about you or your dog dirtying up the floors. Get back from the beach, hose down yourself & the dogs & grab some grub! This place is perfect for those who enjoy the outdoors & aren't bothered by nature. I have been with family & as a couple & enjoyed each time. I will defintely return.Thank goodness the Laughing Horse is there!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2014

A fun, laid back, casual place to stay near the beach. Nothing fancy, but the perfect place after a walk on the beach with a little sand still on your feet. The room easily sweeps clean with little effort or worries should your pet track indoors. This place loves dogs and is a perfect home away from home for that special friend to share your vacation. Complete with a dog wash! Good restaurants are close by within easy walking or driving distance. My only negative is that the WiFi is erratic if it works at all. Go figure. Clean and neat. My second visit. Everyone in management is pleasant and extremely friendly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Simple and very clean. The manager make you feel very welcomed and treats you extremely well. No doubt a great place to stay and I will certainly stay there next time around. By the the way I didn't see any bugs maybe the bugs that were seen from another guest, were just on a weekend getaway.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo