“Overcooked burger!”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner
Harper, Texas
“Overcooked burger!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Driving by this place a few times over a couple of days and seeing how many cars were parked we decided to check it out. I was a little concerned since there was a sign out front that posted, hiring all positions. Thought they might not have enough help. My husband and I arrived at 11:20 and they had opened at 11:00. They hostess told us we'd need to wait about 5-10 mins so her servers could catch up even though there was available seating. No problem as we weren't in a hurry, but I would have preferred to be seated. I imagine this is a typical beach town place, rather dark and gloomy inside, but thank goodness it was cool. Family friendly as it's very loud inside. We'd had fish the last few days and I wanted something else, the waitress said they had the best burgers around. So we both got burgers. 1/4 lb. burger on sourdough bun. The burger had really good flavor, but was way overcooked. It was dry, dry, dry! I never put so much ketchup, mustard and mayo on mine, but had to. I would have used more mustard, but the waitress never came back around in time. The bun was a little sticky feeling and I wish that the cook would have toasted the bun. We had fries and onion rings, while they were ok, not sure they weren't from a package. The burger price was reasonable.

oklahoma city
“Okay, but not above average. ”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Second time here in the last few years. Still not impressive but average. Staff very friendly. Ask for Abel. Not a lot of grilled seafood options. Most everything was fried.

Austin, Texas, United States
“So-so”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My portion of fried shrimp was generous, but the shrimp was room temperature at best. It only came with one side. At this price, a second side was warranted. My coleslaw was yummy, but it was a really small amount. Since the restaurant is all hard surfaces, the voices of all the patrons echoed everywhere, making it a rather loud experience and harder to communicate at my table.

San Antonio, Texas
“Better Restaurant Than the Ratings Say”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My mother had eaten at this restaurant several years ago and wanted to go back. Was leary due to the overal rating, but the most recent ones were favorable, so we gave it a shot. Loud, noisy and full of people with good cheer, including the waitress. We enjoyed the "rocking margaritas", fried calamari, shrimp boil, grilled drum and shrimp. Wait between drinks, appetizers and main course because they may not let you finish before you finish the first one. Not fancy, loud with people, but good food and wait staff.

Abilene, Texas
“Things have changed”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Visited Castaways 2 years ago and remembered the awesome onion rings we had gotten for an appetizer. They were fresh, homemade and plenty of them. What a surprise this time! They must have bought frozen ones at the dollar store. They were horrid. The seafood appeared to be frozen and not even close to fresh fish. The tartar sauce and red sauce dispensers would not even work because both of them had hardened up because of lack of use or age I assume. I am not sure what has happened to this restaurant, but it is heading downhill fast. I would never go back again.

1 Thank tim l