“Horrible!!”

Shark Reef Resort
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Port Aransas
“Horrible!!”
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Room was nasty and stunk. Fridge was moldy. Had personal items stolen and when reported it, she tried to say none of her staff would steal and told me there was nothing she could do. Do not stay here!! Horrible experience and won't be going back!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Windy P
Mary S, Manager at Shark Reef Resort, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Hi, this is Mary, the manager at Shark Reef Resort. I wanted to start by saying Thank You for staying with us. You were in a Remodeled room, and upon check out today, you did not alert myself or the owner (yesterday) to any problems with your room ie: any odor in room, any problems with refrigerator. Yesterday you came up accusing a worker of stealing out of your room, and I feel that we took the necessary measures to see exactly what had happened. Upon asking the worker, who has been here for many years, she denied stealing any item from you. There is nothing that I myself can do other than apologize sincerely, and hope that you were able to find the item within your personal belongings once you made it home safe and sound.

I would like to ask that you look at this matter in a different perspective; If we did not see the item being taken, we did not verbally hear the item was taken by said employee, and we have never had issues with said employee, we can not go and call the police or reprimand someone with no proof. We tried reasoning with you, asking if perhaps maybe you misplaced them, but you would not hear of it. I am very sorry, and hope that you find the item. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Our room was unacceptable. The couch mattress was molded/mildewed so they had just turned it over. The bathroom wasn't clean. The attendant was very nice and upgraded our room, but it wasn't any cleaner. The air conditioner wouldn't cool the room down, and it was in a window. My pillow case had holes, and the bottom sheet wasn't clean. There wasn't a bathroom counter or blow dryer or coffee maker. There was a dog in the lobby by the door, impossible to avoid if you have allergies. This is a very old motel that's run down. There were people sitting in chairs outside our room drinking. I wouldn't stay here again for free. There are nice little houses at the front, and we thought we had rented one of those.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank angiehowe
Thank you for choosing the Shark Reef Resort; I wanted to start by saying that all of our rooms have mattresses that are less than 2 years old. All hotels can keep mattresses for up to ten (10) years, but we replace ours every two (2). All of our rooms have window air conditioners, as the property itself has been around for 50 years and has never had any other type of air conditioning. I am sorry about the linen in your room, had I been here, I would have dealt with that myself.

Our rooms are in the process of being remodeled, and we are adding new features. I will be sure to note that we need blow dryers; we do place coffee makers into rooms if customers ask for them. The dog in the lobby is named Molly, and she lives here. We are a family owned and operated hotel, and are in a constant state of remodel as the fall now hits.

I am sorry that you thought that you rented a different kind of room, the cottages are a year old and cost more, but they are charming. I hope that someday you can see the changes that we are making here at the Shark Reef Resort.
Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed 20 August 2014

holy cow..it was very dirty. there were things on the walls in places that were really gross. there was a ton of carpet fresh type powder along all baseboards had to plug phone in behind bed. ewwww also lightbulbs covered in sheetrock mud. bathroom fixtures at sink loose and really covered in a wet brown substance ??? all towel bars etc. broken or missing . some sort of closet dark hole where also microwave and fridge stored ?? the furniture def very outdated and i ended up putting a towel over loveseat to sit because the stains on it paired with my other findings had me questioning what it may have been. the one employee i dealt with was friendly and helpful. honestly stay at a chain dont go local you will spend the same $$ and get a clean safe place.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank b w
San antonio
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This place was down right nasty. The rooms were very small and cramped with old out dated furniture. The room only had one small lamp with dull lighting. We asked for another lamp and our request was denied. Each room has a small window AC unit that was loud and took very long to just to cool the room. The room was never comfortably cold just cool. Our toilet got clogged up twice during our 4 night stay. The fridge was very small with broken shelves and no room. There was one night stand and one tv stand and no drawers for our clothes. The restroom was very small and muggy since the AC wont cool it when the restroom door is closed. There was just a toilet and small sink with NO counter space for anything. The sink was small and loose, looked like it was going to tip over if you leaned on it. Our room had ants crawling on the ceiling and walls. The fold out couch had some nasty stains on it with no linen. Our bed was at a slope and very uncomfortable. The picture on the tv was very grainy and the sound on the tv was constantly needing to be adjusted. The pool was very small and crowded with murky warm water. Half of the pool was 4ft deep and the other half drops to 8 ft.....strange. This was hands down the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. The breakfast was just waffles and items we would normally buy from a vending machine. Stay away. If you are a frat kid and just need a place to shack up then this is for you. If you have a family who works hard for their money and enjoy staying somewhere nice when your on vacation.....stay away!

• Stayed July 2014
9 Thank Flip206
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The room was dirty . TV was old . I just didn't like it but the owner was nice and gave my money back and we went to another hotel . Not good . We come down here every summer and this was the worst one .

• Stayed July 2014
7 Thank plumber27
Seguin, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2014

On the first night our a/c started going out. The owner did not hesitate to move us to the next room to stay cool, I had my parents who are both in their 70's, while a new a/c was installed. The room and grounds are emasculate. Kudos to Shark Reef. My boys are already looking forward to next year!! They especially loved the pool and play grounds. This was not our first visit nor will it be our last.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Armida G
Thank you for your kind review! We are in the process of remodeling our hotel, and can't wait to see you next year!
Meridian, Mississippi
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The only good thing about this place is no internet unless you pay for it, which is actually a bad thing also. The room wasn't clean. There were spurs all over the carpet and an apple under the bed. The price was WAY over priced; we got screwed just like every other tourist spot.

• Stayed June 2014