“Caution!!!”
Review of Shark Reef Resort

Shark Reef Resort
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Port Aransas
Reviewed 19 July 2007

Don't do it!!! This place is gross! We bought some dishwashing soap to clean the kitchen, hoping to make breakfast the next morning. I put some grapes on the counter for a few minutes, came back to wash them and there were ROACHES. Needless to say, the grapes went in the trash!!! We will never stay there again! If YOU stay there, take bug spray!!!! AND cleaning products.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank momie-of-two
There are newer reviews for Shark Reef Resort

Reviewed 18 June 2007

The honeymoon suite was suppose to be remodeled and ready to go, but when we checked in the room was not ready. They did not offer us a reduced rate but just gave the room rate for normal rooms. I feel that the Resort should have contacted us and told us that it was not ready. It is suppose to be ready the next weekend. If we had known that, we would have changed to another resort. We booked this room over 2 months in advance, and they had our email address. We took the room since it was after 9 pm when we finally got there.

The AC did not work very well and the towels were very small and scratchy. They did not make up the bed during our stay either.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank GrannyJo
Reviewed 3 October 2006

Stayed 2 nights in Aug. '06. This place is horrible. The room & the bathroom were dirty. The room looked like they had not cleaned it in about a year or so. Old pieces of food and leftover items were under the couch. The bed were so old & the sheets had stains on them. The mgmt. were not friendly & did not care about anything. They charge way too much for a dump like this. I would never stay there again, even if I was paid to. It was that gross. DO NOT STAY THERE!!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LakeAustin
Reviewed 17 September 2006

To start with I was unable to contact through email. I called in my reservation and was unable to recieve the exact total just an estimate. When I checked in the staff didn't even know how long we where staying, but I bet they didn't loose my credit card number. We checked in and paid the $5 deposit on the 2nd key. When we entered our roomed we noticed that there wasn't a phone, alarm clock, t.v. remote or curtains. The shower curtain was covered in mold, something was growing off the bathroom wall, and the bathroom mirror was so dirty I could barely see myself. We complained about the moldy shower curtain and asked for a remote. We did receive a new shower curtain and the maintnance man was to bring us a remote in the morning. In the morning the maintnance man came in and tried to program a remote for us, which he was unable to do. So we did not have a remote. When my 3 year old daughter awoke, I notice she was COVERED in ant bites! She was sleeping on the pull out couch that they did not have sheets for. (I was able to rig up some sheets w/ king sized sheets) I notice peanut shells under the couch. The maid was outside, so my husband asked her to vacuum up the food and do something about the ants. My husband went to take a shower and I was sitting outside talking to some of our friends who where also staying here. I didn't think anything of the maid setting the vacuum in front of our door until I heard her talking to another staff member about it. She sounded annoyed that she had to wait on US to use the vacuum so she could lock it up before she left. I told her I wasn't going to use the vacuum I'm on vacation. Her reply was "I'm not going to vacuum either, we do not do housekeeping." (that was obvious) I told her we wanted a ant free room and she said she would tell the front desk. She locked the vacuum up and left. The maintnance man came by a little later to spray for ants. He told us that she was the head housekeeper and did not know why she had refused to vacuum other than she was ready to go. He unlocked the closet and let one of our friends vacuum the room. He did spray for ants. The smell was too much for a 3 year old to take so we where forced to leave in the rain. In the morning we woke up to ants crawling in our closed boxes of cheese its and our hermit crabs. Another housekeeper came by and explained to us that housekeeping while a guest is still staying in the motel cost $7 per cleaning. She was very polite and offered to change our room due to the ant problem. We took our stuff and new shower curtain to the room next door. This one was a little better, it had a remote atleast or so we thought. The batteries where dead and when we asked for new ones we where brought dead ones. The AC did not have a temperature control and the roofed leaked water. It wasn't until we where packing our stuff that my husband opened the bottom dresser drawer and noticed dried up urine in it. The outside side walks are unevened and cracked. There where several stubbed and bloody toes this trip. The playgroung area was covered in stickers and dog poop. We never found the on sight convenient store and the office that claimed to have ice was always out. We tried to spend as little time as possible at the motel, which isn;t hard to do with the beautiful beach nearby. I would not reccomend anyone stay here, especially with children. If you do don't forget to wear your shoes in the shower.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family