“Great room, great value”

BEST WESTERN Port Aransas
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Port Aransas
“Great room, great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

I searched for 3 weeks for an affordable place to stay in port A that was relatively close to the beach. Finally I found BW Ocean Villa. We got a special rate for staying at least 3 nights. My husband and I stayed 4 nights with our kids in a single room with 2 double beds. I was really glad there was no carpet. The entire staff was friendly. Our room was cleaned, and our sheets and towels were replaced daily. This is a big deal at the beach. There's too much sand to reuse sheets and towels. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast each morning, which included cereals, waffles, toast and bagels, and scrabbled eggs and sausage. The breakfast room was small and often very crowded but the staff kept everything well stocked, even up to 5 minutes before the end of breakfast. I wouldn't say the hotel is within walking distance to the beach, but it was a very short drive. Walking would be feasible if you weren't carrying an ice chest, boogie boards, and chairs.

My one primary suggestion for the hotel is to provide more space for hanging towels and swimsuits in the rooms and outside on the lower level. Great overall experience.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank tgarcia121909

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

In an earlier review from a previous visit I mentioned that this hotel has a lot going for it. Namely, a good location, a good price, and an accommodating staff that makes you feel welcome without being intrusive. The casual and friendly atmosphere is a nice counterbalance to what is otherwise a conventional chain hotel and I found that this experience still holds true today.

On my previous visit I explained that the issue I had with the hotel was the room itself. Specifically the carpet smelled so bad we didn't want to spend even a minute longer than necessary in there. In the time since my previous visit the carpet has been replaced with a nonporous linoleum material that keeps things drier and cleaner and made it much easier to relax inside your room without feeling the need to rush outside for some fresh air.

Something else that was unexpected on my previous visit was an unlocked exterior window that initially went unnoticed. When I checked the window this time everything was locked up and ship shape. The appliances were updated and worked well for me. The beds were clean and comfortable allowing me to fall asleep easily. The only thing I’m still not that crazy about is the “mustard meringue” interior paint, but the honest truth is that this is not a serious issue and is unlikely to have any impact your experience.

As mentioned in my previous review I would still avoid the extremely slow and inefficient ferry ride to Port Aransas. It was slow and pointless decades ago and it’s only gotten worse since then. Seriously, avoid it at all costs unless you just love waiting in a parking lot and breathing diesel exhaust fumes. Approaching from the JFK Bridget to the south of Port A is much better in my view and there are many more options for eating and stocking up along the way to the bridge. Be sure to get your parking tag before you leave your car at the beach. The revenue helps keep the area accessible and helps pay for the removal of all the plastic trash that washes ashore these days. The tags can be purchased at convenience stores and gas stations.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank daxomni
San Antonio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I've stayed in this hotel three times within the last year, and each time the service has been great. The staff are friendly and helpful and kind. It's an easy walk to the beach and to some restaurants. My friend enjoyed the hotel, too. She had never been to the beach at Port A, and she thought the hotel worked well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Helotes, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Price was right for proximity to attractions in Port A, I could have gotten a cheaper room but I believe in paying for quality and was not disappointed. Room was very clean and cheerfully decorated, staff were friendly and attentive. The free breakfast was a nice surprise - lots of "real food" choices unlike most other hotels' free breakfasts. I will definitely stay here again with my family and will recommend it to friends.

Bandera, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Great hotel. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Enjoyed our stay. Great breakfast. Pool was nice. Hotel was close to the center of town and beach. King bed was comfortable and the room was very spacious. No carpet on the floor was nice because we didn't worry about wet sandy shoes!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

ardmore, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Staff and people were very friendly. Nice Hotel and close to Beach access compared to other places. Worked out great for the family, kids enjoyed breakfast. No Complaints, everything was nice. Would stay again. Price was reasonable for area.

Allen, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

This place is the place to go if you're in Port Aransas. It's right up the road from the beach, and our 8 year old was able to walk it with his aunt. Just a head's up that there is a free parking area, but if you park elsewhere without a permit ($12 good for a year), the fine is $75. We avoided a ticket the first day, and I asked about it on our second day and found out. We parked in the free area after that and walked. It may not be enforced, but I didn't want to run the risk, and I'd say shame on the city for trying to fleece the tourists. The hotel is in a great location. There's a convenience store next door, and with a minimal amount of walking, there's several places to eat, and a grocery store if you want to keep eating out to a minimal. I will say, don't expect any chain restaurants. The only thing you'll find are Whataburger, Subway, and DQ. Anything else, you'll have to head to Corpus Christi. We stayed in room 216, and didn't have any issues. The pool was nice, but we never used it since we were at the beach. The staff at the front desk was pleasant, and helpful. All around, I got the impression that the staff realize that this place makes money from tourists, and they go out of their way to accommodate. I thought breakfast was good, but it doesn't change, so if you're here for several days, I could see where you might get tired of the food. There was link sausage, scrambled eggs, and small cubed potatoes at one station, then you could make waffles, bagels, toast, and muffins at another. You could also get cereal or oatmeal, fruit and yogurt. There was also juice, coffee, hot chocolate, tea, milk, or water. The area seemed pretty safe, nothing that seemed to raise red flags. I've also been to other beaches, and seen homeless, but this doesn't seem to be an issue here. My wife loves visiting beaches, and never the same one, and this is the first time that she's mentioned a returning visit.

2 Thank Ponderdog