“may 2013”

BEST WESTERN Port Aransas
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Port Aransas
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I looked at lots of places and based on reviews and location picked here. So glad we did walking distance to the beach. Loved the floors nice and clean. Front desk was friendly and helpful on where to go and what to do. Best breakfast !! Can't remember her name but loved coming down to breakfast, so friendly loved the TEXAS SIZED, TEXAS SHAPED WAFFLES. We told lots of friends and family. Miss the breeze and the waffles.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ATLAST-TRAVELPANTS

Reviewed 25 August 2013

The staff is great here, the rooms are comfortable and clean, love the flooring it is much better than carpet! The Ocean Villa is by far the best for the price and this being our 2nd year here, it just gets better each time....and I like that!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
3  Thank Krissy R
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Wonderful experience! Staff was so friendly and helpful. Special thanks to Anne and Paul who went out of their way to help me tie down a piece of driftwood to the top of my car!! The rooms were cleaned exquisitely everyday! Amazingly pampered feeling here! I will not even look anywhere else on my next trip down!

2  Thank Medmassage
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

I booked my stay with Best Western Ocean Villa based on the reviews- & I'm glad I did! Overall experience was an A+. I've stayed @ Port Royal & da only good thing about it is there pools & you don't get complimentary breakfast with your stay. Thanks Best Western for great customer service & hospitality!

1  Thank txrigging
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I was planning a surprise birthday get together for my boy friend and I. I had been searching for an affordable place to stay in Port A for a month or so. I decided to book a room at Best Western Ocean Villa for two nights. The rooms we GREAT NO CARPET which was good. Complimentary breakfast was delicious! The area is small, but staff kept it very well cleaned and stocked up. Staff were very friendly. I had been in touch with the front desk receptionist Jerri for the whole month I was trying to book a room. SHE WAS WONDERFUL! The beach isn't walking distance if you have to carry items. We rented the cart which is such a great idea. I have to say I will be coming back soon.

Room Tip: Please book of time
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mariah M
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

I searched for 3 weeks for an affordable place to stay in port A that was relatively close to the beach. Finally I found BW Ocean Villa. We got a special rate for staying at least 3 nights. My husband and I stayed 4 nights with our kids in a single room with 2 double beds. I was really glad there was no carpet. The entire staff was friendly. Our room was cleaned, and our sheets and towels were replaced daily. This is a big deal at the beach. There's too much sand to reuse sheets and towels. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast each morning, which included cereals, waffles, toast and bagels, and scrabbled eggs and sausage. The breakfast room was small and often very crowded but the staff kept everything well stocked, even up to 5 minutes before the end of breakfast. I wouldn't say the hotel is within walking distance to the beach, but it was a very short drive. Walking would be feasible if you weren't carrying an ice chest, boogie boards, and chairs.

My one primary suggestion for the hotel is to provide more space for hanging towels and swimsuits in the rooms and outside on the lower level. Great overall experience.

1  Thank tgarcia121909
Reviewed 12 August 2013

In an earlier review from a previous visit I mentioned that this hotel has a lot going for it. Namely, a good location, a good price, and an accommodating staff that makes you feel welcome without being intrusive. The casual and friendly atmosphere is a nice counterbalance to what is otherwise a conventional chain hotel and I found that this experience still holds true today.

On my previous visit I explained that the issue I had with the hotel was the room itself. Specifically the carpet smelled so bad we didn't want to spend even a minute longer than necessary in there. In the time since my previous visit the carpet has been replaced with a nonporous linoleum material that keeps things drier and cleaner and made it much easier to relax inside your room without feeling the need to rush outside for some fresh air.

Something else that was unexpected on my previous visit was an unlocked exterior window that initially went unnoticed. When I checked the window this time everything was locked up and ship shape. The appliances were updated and worked well for me. The beds were clean and comfortable allowing me to fall asleep easily. The only thing I’m still not that crazy about is the “mustard meringue” interior paint, but the honest truth is that this is not a serious issue and is unlikely to have any impact your experience.

As mentioned in my previous review I would still avoid the extremely slow and inefficient ferry ride to Port Aransas. It was slow and pointless decades ago and it’s only gotten worse since then. Seriously, avoid it at all costs unless you just love waiting in a parking lot and breathing diesel exhaust fumes. Approaching from the JFK Bridget to the south of Port A is much better in my view and there are many more options for eating and stocking up along the way to the bridge. Be sure to get your parking tag before you leave your car at the beach. The revenue helps keep the area accessible and helps pay for the removal of all the plastic trash that washes ashore these days. The tags can be purchased at convenience stores and gas stations.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Plantation Suites
#5 of 20 in Port Aransas
Hampton Inn & Suites Port Aransas
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rockport / Bay View

Been to BEST WESTERN Port Aransas? Share your experiences!