“Cheap but old and gross!”

Americas Best Value Inn Portland/Corpus Christi
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed two nights in this hotel. When we checked in we were assigned a room and went upstairs and checked the room out. It was not cleaned well at all, had not been vacuumed and there was trash behind dressers and nightstand. The room also smelt like mildew. Only half of the lights in the room worked as well. Then after realizing that I left my purse in the car, I undid the deadbolt and went to get it out of the car, came back up with the key and it wouldn't open the door. Apparently the door still thought the deadbolt was activated. We had to go back to the office and the owner opened the door and we had to switch rooms. We did receive a slight upgrade bc there wasn't another room available but the ac in that room was off and it was terribly hot in there and was also smelly and unclean. We then had to go sit in our car for an hour for the room to even slightly cool down. The bedding appeared clean but stained and the toilet barely worked. I showered with my shoes on. It is a great location but the hotel is old and very run down.

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 3 September 2013

You would be better off sleeping in your car or on the beach than staying at this motel. My husband and I reserved this room due to no availability for all the days that we intended on staying for the Labor Day weekend at our perfered Hotel. The price was cheap and we were not expecting much, but this was UNBELEIVABLE. As soon as we opened the door which was nasty and rusted the smell of mildew hit us. The paint was severely peeling off the wall there were white stains on the head board the pillow cases and towels had stains The carpet was sticky and stained . The bathroom was worse.. the tub was rust stained and mildewed. My husband and I had to spend an extra 80 bucks on sheets, blankets, candles and cleaner just to make it were we could endure the night in the room. AND AFTER ALL THAT I WAS STILL BITTEN BY SOME TYPE OF BUG! The lobby and out side is Just as bad. I can not beleive that this place is actually in business.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

I wouldn't put a dog in these rooms!! It was close to corpus and wanted to go to beach and aquarium so with a 5 MONTH old BABY we didn't want right on beach so we went there. We stepped in room and the room stunk,tub was broken up,shower rod held up by a empty pack of cig and toliet was held up by news paper in back and front and to say the least the whole bathroom stunk like a man urnial The beds were hard and springs hit you. Went to get refund and refused!!! Ill never stay there again

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I travel a lot for work, and stay at quite a few "cheap" hotels. This had to be the dirtiest that I've ever stayed at. Everything was covered in grime. I was exhausted by the time I made it to the room, and the sheets appeared to be clean, so I didn't leave, otherwise I would've tried to get a refund to go elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2013

After staying a few ABVI before that were good I thought this place would be great for a lil mini vacation with my girlfriend. Now the place does look a lil shady I remember seeing needles the parking lot but I felt no danger being there. The hallways were very dark and smelled....kinda fishy as in it literally smelled like fish but when you're that close to the water that happens. The doors on the outside all had rust spots once again I'm going to say that has something to do with being so close to the water. Our room was overall pretty good! We had a great view of the ocean, the bed was very comfortable, our AC worked very well, the fridge and microwave worked good. The bathroom was a bit dirty, the toilet worked but it took awhile at 10 mins too fill up so it could be used again. My girlfriend and I thought it was broken at first and there was a square hole near the toilet granted the person at the front said the hotel was renovating so ill assume it something to do it that. The breakfast is what you would expect for any other motel ya know cereal, juice, toast, honey buns but i enjoyed it and had good bowl of fruit loops. Over all the experience was okay for the most part, would I stay there again?........maybe but I would look for something else before staying here again. Its not a bad hotel but not a great one but if you're looking for something cheap and affordable I'd say try it out.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy M
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I came here for business and had a room setup I looked at three rooms and they were all horrible I couldn't even eat my dinner The smell was so bad in the room they had roaches spiders that place is tore up The ground have trash all over Ask for a refund and they said that they could not give me one back Ask about another Americas Best Inn in the area and they could not help me they said there was none I looked on the internet and there is a few Around the area This place should be shut down and remodeled And the franchise needs to take away the managers license Would not recommend this place to anyone or my worst enemy in the world.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 2 April 2013

My husband and I needed a relaxing break and this was a great spot - close to the beaches and downtown but away from too many tourists. It's right on the water and sunsets are beautiful. The property's old but the rooms are clean and comfortable and have been recently renovated. It's a valuable bargain.

Room Tip: Ask for the water side rooms.