“A boring dump with terrible customer service”

Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pottsboro
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

This place is a 2 star quality tops. It's motel grade textiles, finishing, etc. Since the customer service was so bad we opted to explore the area but there's nothing to do. Wherever we went we were troubled with snippy staff that were outright rude for no reason. Don't waste your money. Get a vrbo instead.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Kelli L
TanglewoodResort, Public Relations Manager at Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Kelli L,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience during your recent stay with us. Many of guests enjoy playing rounds of golf at our 18 hole champion golf course, enjoying our services at our Tranquility Spa, and horseback riding on our trails. Also, activities such as boating, jet skiing, and fishing are popular on Lake Texoma. Hagerman National Wildlife refuge is the perfect spot to fish or just to enjoy our beautiful nature. We hope you give us another chance in the future to satisfy all of your getaway needs,

Best wishes,
Monica Wolf

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We used to love going to this place. Over the years, it seems to have changed. We stayed in one of the villas where you can bring your dog this time. The blankets had holes in them, shoddy paint job in the bathroom, banged up and scuffed up walls, there was only one chair out at the "patio" table (very, very small space and has a half wall so enclosed feeling, especially when you're sitting down), That kind of feel to it. There was a family with young children next door who ran up and down the halls and SCREAMED in their room until almost 10PM. My husband got only 3 hours of sleep.

The grounds are really pretty and picturesque. Lots of huge trees and some roll to the topography.

Our son wanted to play basketball, so I called down to the front desk to find out where the court was located, where we could get a ball, were there any time restrictions, etc. They told me where the courts were, we could pick up a ball at the front desk and there were no time restrictions. We go get the ball and walk all the way to the courts to find them locked. We call the front desk to find out what's going on and they come back and tell us, oh, the court's wet so we had to lock it. Would've been good information to have at either the phone call first or when we picked up the basketball.

Dave W. is right about the food service - typical aloof teens. They rented out the main restaurant in the middle of the day on a Saturday. There were signs saying they closed at 3PM. When we came before 2, we sat and waited for 20 mins and finally got up and got our own menus. Ten minutes later, I had to go inside and tell them we were waiting on being waited upon when everyone else on the patio was being served except us and one other table next to us. The girl tried to tell me "that's just how it is here. You have to come inside and tell us that you're out there." There's no sign or other communication telling you that. The manager hopped on it and served us himself. He apologized and was nice. It was just frustrating to continue to have experiences like that.

My massage was cut short and I really didn't get an explanation for that. They had me re-dress, go to the room next door, then undress again for my facial. I asked for a robe and they said they don't normally provide that, but could get me one if I needed it. Then the facialist said they normally do provide robes. Confusing and not so relaxing.

Pool's not heated and it was still a bit chilly in early May when we were there. We got into the hot tub which was much more comfortable. The sign says no kids under 14 w/out adult supervision, but there was a group of several 4-5 year olds who were playing in it, going under water, spitting, just being obnoxious... no one really monitors what's happening. Boats were $500 for the afternoon to rent (we were just in FL a couple of months ago and it was less than $100 to rent a boat for the day there), so we just went back to the room.

It was nice to be able to bring our dog. We did enjoy that. The Mother's Day brunch was really great and had a nice presentation. The scenery was pretty.

I did speak with one of the managers when we returned home to talk with them about the experience. She was very nice and said she had talked to all the managers involved in the various scenarios and also gave us a little price break for the inconvenience. We appreciated all these things. I hope it does help to change things. We used to go and have a great time.

Room Tip: You have a much better experience in the suites where there's a separate bedroom from the living...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank H2sMom

Dear H2smom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I'm glad I was able to speak with you directly about your issues and to take care of you. Whenever you are ready to come back out, contact me directly and I will take care of you.

Monica Wolf

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed in a villa suite for memorial day weekend and had the best time! They got us a room at last minute, it was gorgeous and very clean. It was large enough for my family of six. The kids enjoyed the three swimming pools while we enjoyed the hot tub and adult beverages!! Also late night pizza order was very good. All staff was friendly and an overall great getaway. We will definitely be back and stay longer next time!!

• Stayed: May 2014
TanglewoodResort, Public Relations Manager at Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

I'm very pleased to hear you and your family had a great time and appreciate you taking the time to write your review. We look forward to seeing you and your family again on your next stay. Have a wonderful day and thanks again for choosing Tanglewood Resort.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Best hour getaway from Dallas!... The staff, from Brandi, to Monica Wolfe, are truly outstanding!! These ladies will make you feel at home, and offer the best service ever!! We have stayed at a lot of places, and this resort is tops!... Clean, fun, and full of friendliness! We will be back time and time again! Thank you Brandi and Monica for ALL you do!! I really don't think this place could run as well without you!

Room Tip: The tower rooms are soooooooooooooo cute!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
TanglewoodResort, Public Relations Manager at Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Hello Krista.

I just wanted to thank you for your kind words and taking the time to write such a glowing review. We look forward to seeing you soon. Have a wonderful day and thanks again for choosing Tanglewood Resort.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed 6 nights in a 2 bedroom Villa. Beautiful rooms, very comfortable bedding, fireplace, grand Master suite with huge garden/jacuzzi tub, awesome studio bedroom, 2 1/2 bathrooms and 2 balconies....all nestled in a lovely, peaceful location. We spent quality family time boating, horse back riding, fishing and relaxing at the outdoor patio areas. Most of the playground equipment was, however, in dire need of repair (unstable). Beautiful wooded areas and landscaping abound.
All the employees were very accommodating and so friendly. The food was excellent! All in all we had such an awesome time, we are planning our next trip!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank TexasGal2014
TanglewoodResort, Public Relations Manager at Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Hello Texas Gal.

I wanted to thank you for choosing Tanglewood Resort for your family vacation and taking the time to write your review. We always enjoy hearing from our guests and look forward to welcoming you and your family back on your next stay. Have a wonderful weekend!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed at the hotel last year and thought the rooms were decent enough for the price. This year we were a little late in reserving a room for our family fishing trip and I ended up reserving 3 "villa" units at $232 each and some change since the main hotel was booked. I hate to say it, but that was a horrible disappointment. At $232 it was almost a ripoff, multiplied by the fact that I got three of them. The back porches/balconies would have been nice if they had a view of something more than a treeline 30 feet away littered with empty beer cans. The beds were alright, however that is the first time I've seen only two pillows stacked in the center of queen beds like that. Usually there are 4 pillows, a soft pair and a firm pair. At $232 I would have expected at least that. ONE packet of mediocre coffee and ONE mug for a room that sleeps 4? That's absurd. A ridiculously noisy ceiling fan? Unacceptable. NO SNACK MACHINES?!!? Don't even get me started on the parking situation for the villas (only a dozen spots for then entire villa complex, plus the handicapped spots were not enough, we had to shuttle my mother to the door and park in the main lot, where we walked right through some secondhand marijuana smoke cloud from some other hotel guests who obviously didn't care they were toking up out in the open).

Anyways, We were there on a fishing guide trip, and I made sure to let the front desk know that we were going to be checking out late and they were perfectly fine over the phone while I was making my reservation online and asking them if that was okay, however I started getting harassed by one of the employees over the phone about our stuff still being in the rooms while we were out on the lake because they were solidly booked and needed to clean our rooms, so we had to cut our trip short to rush back in and get our stuff (we were also locked out of our rooms when we got back, although I guess that is a function of the key programming and not an intentional slight by the hotel staff).

The only redeeming quality of our stay was the incredible dinner we had at the restaurant. The food was excellent. The service, not so much, typical aloof high school kids. Compliments to the chef though.

But yeah, not sure if I even want to come back next year, we might look into renting a private cabin at almost $800 a night rather than the three mediocre villas we got at Tanglewood.

Room Tip: Don't get the villas! Also, don't even bother with the lakeview rooms, we got one last year...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Dave W
SocialMediaMgr1, Guest Relations Manager at Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Dave W,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent getaway. Reviews are taken very seriously.

All of our villas are equipped with dishware for up too 4 - 6 guests. Many of our guests really love the villas for their private patios and balconies, their extra space, and their Jacuzzi tubs but only a handful have views of Lake Texoma.

Two pillows are placed on each bed and more pillows can be found in the closet area of each villa. With over 150 villa parking spots, you were referring to the handicap parking spots that were filled up during your stay. I have passed this information over too our executive team to see what other options there may be for adding additional handicap parking spaces. We do have a gift shop located next too our Front Desk that is open 24/7 with snacks, drinks, and merchandise. We have taken steps to ensure there is better communication on our lake check out procedures.

Feel free to email or call me at any time to discuss your stay in further detail or for me to personally take care of you with your next getaway out too Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center.

mwolf@tanglewoodresort.com or 903-462-7809.

Take care,

MONICA WOLF
TANGLEWOOD RESORT
1-800-833-6569 EXT:2609
903-462-7809 DIRECT LINE

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Was sadly disappointed overall. The room definitely wasn't worth the price. The staff overall were very nice and helpful. The Barnacles Bar was the best dining experience. The bartender poured generous drinks and the pizza was good. The Swedish massage at the Tranquility Spa was amazing. Pricey, but worth it. The other dining rooms? Left much to be desired. The food was mediocre and the service was sub par what I'd expect from a resort of this caliber. Unless you get a great deal on a room here, don't waste your money...there are other places on Texoma for better.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Scuba_Starbuck
SocialMediaMgr1, Public Relations Manager at Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Starbuck_Smalls,

We take our reviews very seriously and appreciate your feedback.

We are sad to hear about your disappointment with your room during your stay. Perhaps another room type may have been more accommodating too your needs during your stay. Aside from our Hotel Rooms we also have Hotel Suites, Tower Suites, Queen Villas, and 1 and 2 Bedroom Villas. Many of our guests love the Tower Suites, for they have the best views of Lake Texoma. Our 1 and 2 bedroom villas are 1100 sq ft to 1500 sq ft and come with fully equipped kitchens and garden/jacuzzi tubs.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your meal and drinks in Barnacles Sports Bar and Pizzeria. The Chicago styled pizza is a guest and member favorite! If you wouldn't mind, email me or call me about your experience in the other dining room that was not up too par. I would like to give your feedback too our Food & Beverage department, so that we can see what we could have done better with taking care of you.

I hope that you give us another chance in the future to satisfy all of your getaway needs.

Feel free to email or call me at any time to discuss your stay in further detail mwolf@tanglewoodresort.com or 903-462-7809.

Take care,

MONICA WOLF
TANGLEWOOD RESORT
1-800-833-6569 EXT:2609
903-462-7809 DIRECT LINE

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pottsboro
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Denison
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sherman Highway 75
Best Western Plus Texoma Hotel & Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Denison/Sherman/At Texoma Event Center
La Quinta Inn & Suites Durant
21 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Durant

Been to Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!