“Weekend getaway”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pottsboro
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had a great time at Tanglewood this past weekend. The tower suite was wonderful with great views of the resort and lake on 3 sides. The food was tremendous. The staff was very attentive and courteous, despite the high occupancy rate. The golf course was great and many were enjoying it all weekend.
There are some areas that could be updated, specifically décor, but the dining room, main ballroom, and the Barnacles areas were all great. It is not the Gaylord Texan, but then we didn't pay the Gaylord price either. Tremendous value and definitely a place to return and enjoy.

Room Tip: I have stayed in all the available rooms. The villas and tower suites are top notch.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
TanglewoodResort, Public Relations Manager at Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Hi Keith.

We're so happy to hear you enjoyed you enjoyed yourself. We certainly appreciate you choosing to stay with us for your weekend getaway and taking the time to share your experience here on Trip Advisor. Have a great day and we hope to see you again.

There are newer reviews for Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Perfect weekend getaway, something for all ages. Dining room and Barnacles restaurant, great food both places. So lucky to have Tanglewood less than a 2 hour drive away. Tower suites are incredible!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
TanglewoodResort, Public Relations Manager at Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Hello Stephanie.

We just wanted to thank you for your kind words and taking the time to share them here on Trip Advisor. We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again. Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I won't recommend to come here until the entire place has been overhauled. Some rooms have been redone but it really only brings those rooms up to maybe three star. We were here with a very large group and were very disappointed. The pool area has a terrible worm infestation so there are these wriggling cocoons all over. Yuck! Some staff will watch you struggling to haul things in with the two dilapidated bell carts they have and never offer to help. The elevators are questionable most of the time. The mattresses feel like you are sleeping on springs. Their 'conference' services are questionable at best.

There are some staff members who really work hard and go out of their way to make the most of what seems to be limited funds to improve anything. THEY are the reason I give it two stars and not one. For those of you who need this heads up, be prepared for most of the staff to be visibly tattooed and gauges in their ears. The overall appearance of the staff (tattoos and gauges not withstanding) is generally sloppy and unprofessional. Often desk staff are wearing a property shirt over their regular clothes. This is the fault of management and ownership for not holding to and providing for a dress code standard. It is often hard to tell staff from guests.

There are plastic (yes plastic!!) table clothes on the tables everywhere!! Who does that anymore? A very cheaply ran hotel/'resort' is who. They need to take the jewel encrusted paintings (don't ask me how that fits into a lake theme!) sell them and put the funds towards a major overhaul and staff training.

Please read through the '5 Star' reviews on here. Normally I trust TA but after being here I really took a hard look at those. Couple of observations:
1. The majority of the 5stars were by people with 1review. Even with that, the highest number of reviews in this category was 4!
2. The majority of the 1 review reviewers that gave five stars specifically mention the manager BY NAME. Having done over 140+ reviews and as a top contributor, I have rarely mentioned (if ever) a manager of a large property by name!
3. The reviewers mention many specific 'amenities' that again just generally aren't listed in that way in our reviews.
All this leads me to be highly suspicious of these reviews! I highly suspect manipulation of TA!!! Very very disappointed!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
9  Thank Lfferg
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Considering the Tanglewood is in a prime location on Lake Texoma it could definitely use some improvement to attract future guests. Me and my family recently spent the weekend at the resort and it lacked any luster. The decor was outdated and drab. The rooms were semi clean but did have adequate space for our needs. The pool was nice and the property grounds were well maintained. The lookout tower bar was however really nice and the views were fantastic. The staff was nice but completely incompetent. From not knowing anything about wine to being understaffed 90% of the time leading to long wait times, the Tanglewood needs to stop hiring cheap teenage labor that are clueless and unhelpful. Again the location is amazing and the resort has the potential to be a great place but they need some serious help. Until that happens we will not be back!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank EMN1107
TanglewoodResort, Guest Relations Manager at Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Hello EMN1107,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay with us. I agree with you in that we are located in a prime location. While only an hour from DFW, we are just right up the road for many. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the pool and tower lounge during your stay. With the gorgeous warm Texas weather, we are all itching to get some rest and relaxation in.

Providing great customer service is one of our top priorities for each guest that walks onto our property. I have forwarded your review to our Food and Beverage Director and steps are being taken to make sure circumstances like the ones you encountered do not arise again.

Again, thank you for your review.

Front Desk Manager
1-800-833-6569 ext: 2609
mwolf@tanglewoodresort.com

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Pros: My family and I had excellent service in the formal restaurant on site. I must recommend the spa! Very relaxing feel there, great amenities, and service. I got a massage from a woman named Kristen. She was very nice and did an amazing job. Excellent live evening entertainment in the lounge.

Cons: The water is bad - you will need to bring pure water for your room. I wouldn't drink the water there. The rooms are in OK condition..Some do not have flat screen TV's, our room had bleach stains on carpet, the room seemed to have an odor to it..comparable to a nursing home. The maids come at odd times..one day they were knocking at 10 AM (what I would consider a normal time) and another day, they knocked at 4 PM. The couches in the lounge are tired.

Overall, I had a decent experience. I would come back with a group of friends but if you're looking for some place fancy to stay on the lake, this is not the place for you.

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank MRSmalloryB

Hello Cody.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent getaway to Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center. I'm glad you and yours were able to enjoy our dining facilities , Tranquility Spa, and live entertainment in our Tower Lounge during your stay. Nothing enhances your experience then to enjoy many of the amenities we have to offer.

We are always renovating and updating different points on our property. All of our rooms now have flat screen televisions and new mattresses. Most of the hotel hallways and rooms now have new carpet. We have a new children's playground as well that we just installed this week. We are so excited about these renovations and about upcoming projects and many of our guests and members are as well. Here at Tanglewood we have drinking water available on property, using reverse osmosis. Filtered water is available at any restaurant and bar on property.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope to have you back out here soon!

Sincerely

Front Desk Manager
1-800-833-6569 ext: 2609
mwolf@tanglewoodresort.com

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Wow, where to start?
My wife, daughter and I stayed for 2 nights over the Memorial Day weekend. When we pulled up everything looks nice, the desk clerk was courteous and gets us checked right in. She also informs us there will be activities for families all weekend long and provided us with a schedule of the events.
Our room was fine, very much like your typical mid-star hotel, reminded me of Embassy suites. The room including linens, bathroom etc seemed clean and comfortable enough. The beds were a little soft for my preference but that's me.
There are 2 restaurants on site. We went down for the breakfast buffet the first morning. As we exited the room we ran into housekeeping who asked how we'd like the room serviced. Only half the housekeepers were uniformed which to me was odd.
We arrived at the buffet at 9am and the buffet was over at 10, maybe 10:30. Our waiter takes our drink order, and says to feel free to hit the buffet. I was surprised how slow the dining room was, not even 1/3rd full on a busy Holliday weekend. The buffet would have been nice if the staff could have kept the warmers full of the essentials like pancakes, hash browns and eggs etc. I return to the table with a plate only half full due to the lack of inventory with none of the staples one would expect. Our coffee was there waiting for us when we sat back down but our daughters milk was missing and our waiter had not reappeared. Minutes go buy and no sign of him. Finally a lady who was setting up tables for lunch was kind enough to get her milk and be our waitress somewhat, though that was clearly not her training. They did eventually refill some of the warmers, we ate and went on our way. The staff tending the buffet was very unprofessional looking as the ones I saw were not dressed in Tanglewood uniforms rather in their personal sloppy baggy pants, Tshirts and sideways sports caps looking more appropriate for a New Jersey street corner selling
weed.
We left the buffet and noticed the ballroom being setup for one if the activities listed on the schedule for the kids, games, crafts etc. though they set up they never opened. Later there was to be face painting in the lobby... No face painting. I had taken a group of kids to find where that was going on and only fount the face painting kit where the person was supposed to be. I was informed she already left... About 40 mins prior to the stated ending time. So with 4 disappointed kids standing there I sat down and started painting faces!
We are lunch on the Barnacles restaurant pool patio, a casual restaurant. It was seat yourself style. We sat at the only table open, it had yet to be bussed. We sat for some time. No greeting, no buss boy. The manager was walking around seemingly oblivious, and not obviously busy. I asked politely if he could find us a server. He seemed unconcerned but said yes and walked off. Our server did a good job when we finally got one and the good was decent. Later we returned to the room and no service of any kind had been performed.
So this could be a much longer review than I have time for... Let me sum up. All the listed activities either didn't happen or we're poorly executed and a major disappointment. The service continued to be subpar all weekend, parts of the facilities were looking their age and linens started oiling up in the hallway on our floor. An empty Budlight box sat in the corner of a hallway for two days before being picked up. The BIGGEST problem? The staff is
ill trained. That's a mag enemy problem. If I was the manager I'd be embarrassed to come to work.
This place could be a rock'n swing'n place less than 2 hours from Dallas/Ft.Worth for a quick weekend staycation! Instead I'm writing this negative review. So much potential squandered by mismanagement and poor execution.

• Stayed: May 2014
8  Thank Cody P
TanglewoodResort, Public Relations Manager at Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Cody P,

Thank you Cody for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and experience as a recent guest. I am very disappointed that you weren't satisfied with our guest service that was provided, as that is generally a popular rave about our property. Please contact me directly, as I would like to discuss your stay in further detail. You may reach me by email at mwolf@tanglewoodresort.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Take care,

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

This place is a 2 star quality tops. It's motel grade textiles, finishing, etc. Since the customer service was so bad we opted to explore the area but there's nothing to do. Wherever we went we were troubled with snippy staff that were outright rude for no reason. Don't waste your money. Get a vrbo instead.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Kelli L

Dear Kelli L,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience during your recent stay with us. Many of guests enjoy playing rounds of golf at our 18 hole champion golf course, enjoying our services at our Tranquility Spa, and horseback riding on our trails. Also, activities such as boating, jet skiing, and fishing are popular on Lake Texoma. Hagerman National Wildlife refuge is the perfect spot to fish or just to enjoy our beautiful nature. We hope you give us another chance in the future to satisfy all of your getaway needs,

Best wishes,
Monica Wolf

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pottsboro
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Denison
Best Western Plus Texoma Hotel & Suites
Red River Inn & Suites
Red River Inn & Suites
#4 of 4 in Thackerville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Durant
Best Western Plus Sand Bass Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Denison North-Lake Texoma

Been to Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!