“Serviceable, but mediocre on many levels”

Residence Inn Dallas Richardson
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Richardson
Richmond, Virginia
“Serviceable, but mediocre on many levels”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I stayed at this property from late September through early December 2011 for a consulting project in Dallas. As with many of my projects, I did not have a great deal of say in where I would be staying, though I am pretty particular because of the duration of the projects that makes lodging a huge factor. Though, after a horrible lodging experience six years prior in the Dallas area, I arrived rather leery and skeptical about where I would be staying.

This property is just off the North Central Expressway (Highway 75) in Richardson, and is tucked in the middle of a corporate park. Even with familiarity of the area, the property can be tricky to find, GPS or no. Once found, though, you realize it is easy to get to, as it is just off Greenville Avenue, which is a major thoroughfare and great alternative to get into downtown Dallas on the morning commute. First-time visitors - especially those unfamiliar with the area - should definitely have GPS or very precise directions.

The property is divided into two buildings (3 floors each) of guest rooms, with a central "community" building where the front desk is located. There is an outdoor pool, a gym with limited equipment. Laundry facilities seem limited - during my stay, it seemed that there was only one laundry room for each building, and cleanliness was sometimes an issue.

I believed I was booked into a one-bedroom suite, but wound up with a studio-type suite. There was no division between kitchenette, living ,area, and bedroom. An HD flat-screen TV was set on a low table so that it could be rotated 180 degrees from the bed area to the sofa. Adjacent to the bed was a vanity area and the closet, and a small separate bathroom with toilet and shower. Shelf space for clothing was extremely limited, though the closet was sufficient. TV channel selection was rather limited; while they operated off of a Dish TV system (different from most Marriott properties), it was perhaps 25 channels - and that's not counting the multiple ESPN channels that were offered in both HD and non-HD formats. That proved to be quite a waste.

Internet access was offered only in wireless format, which was fine, but it was set up in a pretty stupid way. They had one option that was free, but which limited a lot of the functionality and data you could use. The other was purportedly a "business" option that was unlimited, but cost $4.99/night. However, for the duration of my stay, I could never make the "business" option work. Frankly, as a Platinum member, I would figure that I could at least be able to access it. Also, business travelers should be warned that the "business" center advertised on the property was only a desktop computer next to the front desk that did not have any of the Office suite or PDF capabilities to open, view, or print those documents. Basically, it's only function was to print boarding passes, provided the computer was working.

The property does offer a daily breakfast, though due to the nature of my project, I never ate there. However, it was interesting to note that while the breakfast was free at the Residence Inn, there was a charge for breakfast next door at the Courtyard. So, you would always see guests of the Courtyard walking over to the Residence Inn for the free breakfast. It was interesting to me that this was tolerated, even though these properties are owned by the same corporation. A few nights each week, the Residence Inn also offered a limited dinner-type selection. I only ate there once, and it was not particularly good, nor were the nightly offerings particularly appealing to me.

Dallas seems to have a problem with its extended stay lodging, probably as a result of being used for temporary housing after Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Ike. My previous stay in Dallas was marred by a property that had been thoroughly trashed by those moved in from the hurricane areas. It seems that this property was also used, or at the very least is a high-traffic property, because there was a lot of wear and tear throughout my room and the property in general. Specific to the room, there was a lot of paint chips, exposed nail heads in the walls, a semi-functional closet door, and kitchen appliances that worked to varying degrees.

Another thing seemingly unique to Dallas, compared to every other location around the country where I have traveled for business or pleasure, is that these extended stay properties seem to have a fairly significant number of long-term residents. By that I mean, people that are actually staying at the hotel as anyone else would an apartment. There were quite obviously several on the floor in rooms near mine, based on general observations and overhearing conversations in the hallway when I would encounter them. It seems a little odd, and while not necessarily an inconvenience to me, it might be to other travelers.

Although this property is close to the expressway, it is really isolated in terms of groceries, restaurants, and dining. Travelers staying at this property will have to drive anywhere from a half-mile (for a couple of sit-down dining options and a handful of fast-food) or more for dining options, at least a couple of miles for groceries, and 3 or more miles for more upscale dining and any of the plethora of shopping malls. So, travelers should definitely have a vehicle to get around; though, if you're visiting the Dallas-Fort Worth area, you really can't get anywhere without a vehicle.

Housekeeping services were wildly inconsistent in terms of quality of the cleaning services. Worse, a few of the housekeepers had the bad habit of opening the windows in the room and/or cranking the thermostat up to 80. So there were several occasions where I would return to the room on days I had housekeeping done, and had to spend the evening waiting for the room to cool down or - if thunderstorms had blown through - trying to dry the curtains and furniture nearest the windows. As for the front desk staff, they were generally courteous and helpful, though there was one - apparently a supervisor - who was a little more overboard than was necessary with regards to guests picking up packages. On two occasions, I had express/priority mail packets that arrived during her shift. While I appreciated the fact that she double-checked my photo ID to make sure the parcel was being picked up by the correct guest, I did not appreciate the litany of questions that followed, quizzing me on the sender and the exact contents of the parcel. In one case, I was not expecting the package, and so was extremely frustrated when it seemed like I wasn't going to be able to receive the parcel because I couldn't tell her who it was from and what was in the parcel. Frankly, those questions are not appropriate for anyone to ask, regardless of what the guest is really receiving.

One last inconvenience: during the last several weeks of my stay, a locksmith was on site purportedly changing out the keycard locks on the guest rooms and building access doors. In fact, the management posted notices on the guest room doors in early October notifying us that the room locks would be changed that week. But they weren't actually changed until late November. The keycards - particularly to get into the buildings - were often problematic from the outset of my stay. So, I hoped that whenever they did change, they would resolve that problem. Instead, when they finally changed, I first had to go back to the front desk, where I received two different key cards - one for the building access, and one for the room (instead of the one I used for both up this point). Over the course of the next four nights, I had to return to the front desk to get new key cards for the room, the building, or both. It wasn't that they got erased; it was that the locksmith kept fiddling with the locks, and invalidating the cards that the guests were issued the previous day. It was a huge nuisance.

All told, this property was servicable for what turned out to be a very difficult project. However, it was not up to my expected standards for a Marriott property, and seems to demonstrate that Dallas (as a whole) still seems to have a problem with the quality of their extended stay properties. I was reluctant to move elsewhere during my stay, if only because there was no guarantee that I could find better. In that regard, it was unfortunate, and I could only classify it among the "least-worst" option for business travelers if they cannot find better in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Pune, India
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Excellent hotel with very friendly staff. The staff would make you feel at home. Good Rooms with very good facilities. Excellent house keeping staff. You get good complimentary breakfast in the hotel. Good swimming pool and other outdoor and indoor gaming facilities. I would strongly recomment this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Pune
Reviewed 5 September 2011

This is one of the very good hotel in Richardson area. Very comfortable rooms with all required kitchen utensils. The rooms have dishwasher, refrigerator, electric stove, microwave.

I stayed here couple of times & each time duration was around 30 days during my onsite trip from my company. The breakfast available is also good. It has nice little swimming pool, gymansium as well as tennis court as well.

The staff is also very good & eager to help.

I would recommend this hotel especially for long trips. You will feel at home.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Got 20 bedbug bites on each leg.

Management applogised, did a courtesy inspection and found nothing.

Would not stay there again....

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank sandman12345
Pune, India
Reviewed 18 June 2011

This was the first time I ever travelled out of my country, without friends /family so was hoping I would get a good place to stay which wouldn't make me miss home too much.

My company put me up at Residence Inn Dallas Richardson for a duration of 1 month. This is a long time to be staying at at hotel. However, the accomodation at Residence Inn Dallas Richardson was way above my expectations. The suite are well equiped with all you need in a home like atmosphere. The hotel serves a decent american breakfast each day and some evening snacks too to the inhouse guests. Though by the end of the trip I was craving for some good Indian food :) It is definately not bad though. The hotel had a reletively small gym but served the purpose of fitness and a nice swimming pool too. Overall, a very Cozy, home like place to stay at.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
India
Reviewed 5 November 2010

As similar to my other business trips, my company booked this hotel for me and my other collegues recommended me too since it is nearby office area.
This was my first trip to US for business meeting. It was a long journey for me around 32 hours (from my home Pune, India). I reached to hotel in evening around 5.30 PM, during the check in I come to know there is no single room available so the receptionist offered me double room with the same charge for 1 day and told me will shift my stuff to single room on next day, also he suggested to contact reception in the morning as on arrival my AMEX car did not work so next day after solving the card issue I had to swipe it again. After going into room I was too tired so sleep soon
Rooms:
Room was quite good, big LCD TV, Free Internet but speed is not so good, fridge, Hot Plate, Microwave, Toaster, Coffee Maker, Dish Washer , bathtub & shower and Kingsize bed, etc.

Breakfast:
I was too hungry in the morning so went to do breakfast. It was standard American breakfast and in my whole stay I dont see there are any changes in it. The options are not too much so personally I did not like the breakfast much here. Even comparing with other Mariott hotels the breakfast is OK.

Reception Service:
As asked to contact reception on next day, I went over and told I had been told during check-in that I will be shifted to another single room but the receptionist(another one) in morning told me they dont have single room available and will charge $200 from $79 even though I had a confirmed booking for around month. I had asked her to change the charge to $200 for that day and after confirmation from company will decide to continue with Mariott or not. In the evening after returning into Hotel, the person who was present during the checkin told me that my stuff is shifted into another single room. So this seems to be some kind of mis communication between the staff.

Evening Snacks:
Monday to Thursday you can enjoy the snacks in hotel for free of cost between 5.30 to 7.30. Note that there is no resturant service in hotel so will not get lunch or dinner in hotel and have to arrange it yourself.

Other Services
Internet:
Wi-fi is available at free of cost in lobby area, in rooms you will get wired connection. Internet speed is too slow.
Shuttle Service:
Shuttle service is available in the morning and evening for pick-up and drop to office on prior booking.
Recreational Activities:
Gym, Swimming Pool, Tennis play ground are available at free of cost.
Laundry:
The washing machine and dryer are available where you can put all your clother for wash in just $2 (+ $2 for the washing powder and scented powder) .

Other important things
The hotel is on walkable distance from AT&T, Metro PCS, Verizon, Nortel Network, Cisco Network, Samsung Mobiles, Bank of America, etc.

Hotel is close to Galatyn park railway station where you can get $4 local full day pass which can be used for all the Metros and DART buses.

There are no markets on walkable distance so you need to call taxi (you can search for Yellow Cab) as near to Hotel there are no cabs available.

In all enjoyed my trip.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank mgp_31
RAJTH85
Reviewed 6 May 2010

Liked the place. Enjoyed the first evey snowfall there of my life. So it will be in my memories for long. Good hotel to stay. Spacious rooms and good service

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business