“This restaurant has changed it's name”
Review of Sushiko Sushi & Grill - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sushiko Sushi & Grill
Cuisines: Sushi
Richardson, Texas
“This restaurant has changed it's name”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Stone Horse changed it's name and is not nearly as good as it was. We went there to have our old favorites but they were mediocre at best. I often use the volcano roll as a judge of the quality of the Japanese restaurant. To start off with, they served the volcano roll to our table with no plates or the bowls you need for soy sauce. The waiter just sat the plate down on the table and walked away. I had to get up from the table and go over to him and ask him for plates and bowls. He was pretty attentive after that, but not a good beginning. As for my volcano roll, 1.) it was delivered to our table in some kind of a weird aluminum foil thing that was supposed to look like a boat. It was REALLY cheesy and not well made. 2.) It appears they did this because they cannot get the volcano roll to support itself, which is a bad sign. 3.) I am certain that they used some kind of canned salmon or something in the volcano sauce. The sauce itself was not bad, but the whole thing was a big disappointment.

I also ordered the spicy crab roll and it was okay but way over-spiced and not very good. I finished it but but my wife found it inedible (and she is not particularly picky).

The actual sushi was not bad but not great. It was inartfully crafted, with large strips of the fish hanging off each end of the rice ball underneath. It tasted fresh enough, but was not of the quality that would stand out.

I take back my recommendation of this place as the best Sushi in Richardson.

Also,

• Visited July 2012

Norman, Oklahoma
“great sushi, great atmosphere”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

The food was incredible! Service was great. Our drink glasses were never empty.

Visited April 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Surprisingly good food, but not the best service”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We went here almost as a joke because we couldn't believe this has stayed in business so long. This had been a cursed location before Stone horse. We would plan to go to the restaurants here and they would close before we got there.
Stone Horse has remained so we figured it must be good. We finally made it over here.
The service was a bit disjointed from the minute we walked in. There did not seem to be a clear host person. A couple of people looked at us and then walked away without saying anything. We laughed it off and got seated.
I ordered a beer and a water. It took a while to get the water and the beer was still not delivered by the time we got our food, which took a while. We were right next to the bar and I was really tempted to get up and get my beer there. All in all, the food was very food, but the service was slow.

• Visited January 2012
Richardson, Texas
“Dependable Favorite”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We have been going to Stone Horse for sushi for a couple of years now. Conveniently located about 1/4 mile west of Central Expressway on Campbell Rd, we have been to this restaurant at least a dozen times and each time the sushi is fresh, the rolls amazing and the service flawless. Everyone probably has their own way to compare and judge a sushi restaurant. Mine are the volcano roll and the yellow tail sushi. Both are outstanding. The volcano roll may just be the best I have ever had. And the yellow tail is always creamy and lovely. The chef's special is also always really interesting and delicious. The chefs skills are always top notch. Also, the ambiance achieves a delicate balance of the elegance you would expect at a sushi restaurant and a high-end sports bar. A great place to take the family OR a date (and you see both there). I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

• Visited January 2012
somewhere
“Tried the Korean”
Reviewed 4 June 2010

Nothing hints that this is actually a Japanese/Korean place. We went and based on the description of some dishes we asked if it was Korean and they admitted it.

However, the Korean food was just average. Next time I may try the Japanese.