“I was very disappointed”
Review of King's Inn

King's Inn
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Riviera
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2014

It looks like I'm not going to say anything that hasn't already been said lately. This restaurant needs the Hell's Kitchen guy to come in and do some serious yelling at the management. There is no menu so you have to listen to your waiter rattle off all of your choices. I'm a visual guy; not a good listener, so I didn't retain much. The choices for salad is either an avocado salad or a guacamole salad!!!???? I chose the guacamole salad and it was a huge lump of guacamole on top of a some lettuce for $5. I like salad dressing and they don't offer salad dressing of maybe they do but I'm not sure because there is no menu. I tried eating it but i was overwhelmed with the guacamole so I only ate a small bit of it and the waiter didn't offer to comp the salad. For the main entree, I order the broiled black drum. Wish I could've seen a menu. It wasn't unedible but it needed some seasonings. It came with some frozen french fries that weren't impressive by any means. The wait staff was good. You can tell that they try to present an upscale ambiance with the white linen table clothes and aprons but they don't have the quality food to complete it. To sum it up, there needs to be a menu presented at the table, the salad needs to be made with green leafy lettuce with a variety of fresh vegetables topping it and fewer avocados. Incorporate better reciepes.

3  Thank Ben B

Reviewed 8 June 2014

After reading recent reviews of King's Inn over the previous six months, I'm sorry that patrons have not had the good experience that we have. I can't argue with their review because we've not encountered a wait for a table or poor customer service but I am happy to report that the food is what we've come to expect from this long-time South Texas establishment. Situated on Baffin Bay, it isn't that much to look at and given the wind direction, there may be a common humid, bay water fishy smell when you step out of your vehicle. Moreover, since they don't advertise much, a lot of folks don't know to expect the food served family style. We always order the avocado salad, the Bombay salad, onion rings and fried shrimp. We were there during shift change and went from a perky female server to a quieter but attentive male. Excellent food and customer service all around.

1  Thank camodoc9
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Came here for a birthday, waited 45 mins past reservation, foods usually good, but to wait that long when u have a reservation is rediculous.

1  Thank Rivieraloacal
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

After a two hour drive and what was suppose to be a 45 minute wait. We ended up waiting 2 hours. What a rude hostess, she was just telling everybody it's a long wait. If you really want to eat here you'll wait. I don't think any shrimp is worth this. Our food was cold and not that great. The waitress really tried, that's was the only good part of this visit.

2  Thank dianamc2
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I can only say that the reviews your seeing on this restaurant are totally accurate, I arrived for a late dinner on my way back from the Kingsville airshow.. I was blown away at the 1 1/2 hour wait for dinner we arrived at 8pm but since they close at 11pm my thinking was that it must be awesome food for such a insane long wait just to be seated..WELL once we were seated it took 1 hour to get our food too.. They had NO menus so we were left to guess what we were to eat.. I asked for the menu and was rudely told its a sign posted on the wall outside ??? would have been nice to know that in advance but hey I was a new customer I guess I should have known this little factoid..YEA Right ..so there is a de-merit right there for lack of practical visitor information, and of course our sever SUCKED yes SUCKED we saw her a total of 3 times in the 1 hour it took to be served, to begin with it took her 30 mins the first time to take an order the 2nd time was to sell us another $2 can of coke..yes It was $2 each CAN omg!!! must be why they have no menus, wow I finally figure out the tea came with free refills to bad our sever failed to tell us that before we ordered cokes that came in $2 cans not fountain with refills yikes..but my favorite part of the meal was the COLD disgusting tasteless food, not knowing the menu Items and after the hostess rattled off a litany of items, I ordered the sampler plate & my husband had the avocado salad which after a total of 2 1/2 hour wait was a total disappointment, the fish was just tiny chunks or balls of corn meal battered fish lumps that were overcooked and like rubber, oh.!! & here is a fun tidbit another sever runs in out of no-were & im not kidding ran by our table she tossed us the shrimp cocktail & said "SHRIMP COCKTAIL" ..never looking at us or stopping to see if we managed to catch it as she slid it across, I kid you not it was startling?? in a cute tiny dipping bowl we found 6 GROSS bouncy ball shrimps again overcooked and OMG! topped with some unknown red sauce, and considering the Baffin bay has a reputation for sporting the worlds best shrimp I expected it to be great tender shrimp. and got CRaP..If my phone was not dead I would have taken a picture of this place and its swill on a plate, thank GOD it was dead because i probably could not stomach a revisit.. that being said the plate was supposed to be a sampler I still could not tell you where the SCALLOPS WERE I think they were those paper thin quarter sized fried to a crisp chips ?? the clams & squishy unidentifiable batter thing's had a very strong sour smell so I tossed them right off the plate another Gross.. the crap cake was exactly that a crap cake it had NO CRAB in it was kind of soft squish puree of im not sure maybe fish & season-less blob deep fried in burn't cornmeal batter??, I brought the frog legs home for a souvenir to show my kids, needless to say I left the plate full of food for the Trash, My husbands salad was saturated in I think Italian dressing & a water wilted pile of__ (fill in the blank)__ the only part that was food were the crackers but then again they were keeblers individual packs, so this restaurant had no say in how they were made..but my biggest disappointment was the famous Tarter Sauce I had heard was so awesome unusual & Delicious, it was so full of jalapenos & unbearably hot it was un-edible I could only wave the spoon over it after the first big taste..!! the last & final time I saw my hostess was to hand me the CHECK, I WILL NEVER RETURN EVER nor will I recommend to a friend a enemy maybe!!! astonishingly here is the part I don't understand..? why the heck this place is still in business, either people in south Texas have no clue what good food is or they don't have the balls to tell the truth,,Try it if you dare but don't complain when it is exactly as all the reviews have said.. $40 I wasted on sub-par food, piss poor service, excessive wait times & left the restaurant starving, I could have had a dinner theater date for less ...

6  Thank Dissapointed C