“DO NOT STAY HERE UNLESS YOU HAVE AN EXTERMINATOR WITH YOU!”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Roanoke
Birmingham, Alabama
“DO NOT STAY HERE UNLESS YOU HAVE AN EXTERMINATOR WITH YOU!”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE UNLESS YOU HAVE AN EXTERMINATOR WITH YOU!
I could go into a long drawn out monologue on this terrible hotel but I'll save you the read and get to the point.... you have to call down to the desk to get them to flip the breaker for a/c or heat to work (that's ridiculously cheap); shower pull doesn't work--have to move to another room to get a shower; BUT BIGGEST ISSUE?

BUGS IN THE BED! (downright disgusting and unsanitary)--Ticks mind you! and we have pictures of them...upon further inspection, we find all sorts of other little bugs crawling in the bed. GROSS! Refuse to stay here another second...left at midnight after they tried to convince to stay by moving to a 3rd room? I think not!

And on top of it--I had to wait to have a check mailed to my home for my refund b/c they couldn't return cash to me that I paid for my room upon arrival--CRAZY! And I had to call and follow-up on that refund---manager never called me (even after leaving her messages and emails) until I called giving an ultimatum for her to call me back. She was more concerned about why they took cash from me in the first place than my satisfaction. NEVER WILL I STEP FOOT INTO THIS HOTEL AGAIN.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Tina P, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear M S,

There is a saying, "When it Rain, it Pours;" and from what I have gathered about your stay, this is exactly what happened during your visit with us. It is definitely not our goal to have any guest leave unhappy, however, there are times when certain situations are out of our control. In your case, the two areas we were in control of was the shower, as our maintenance guy was able to get the pull working shortly after you switched rooms; and yes, we do have to initally turn on your A/C from our Front Office, but this is only for rooms that are not already pre-booked, as it is a way for us to conserve energy and keep both our cost & our travelers rates down. Pre-booked rooms are expected to be check-ins, so the rooms are prepared accordingly. We never know if we are going to have walk-in travelers, so rooms not originally booked, do not have A/C's already turned on. In regards to those pesty bugs found in your room, that definitely should not have been the case, however, b/c of the heat we had been experiencing, we had to work extra hard to keep uninvited visitors out of our hotel, who apparently come in to try and cool off. We have been quite successful in doing so, however, it seem as though your room was targeted unexpectantly and thus causing for an uncomfortable stay. You will be Happy to know that we did not delay in contacting our Pest Control provider who was able to have this situation taken care of immediately! All other rooms were checked at this time as well. In regards to your refund, this was taken care of as soon as our General Manager was notified. It is our policy to not accept cash, for this exact reason... should the guest check out early, we have no way of refunding the money and a check will need to be processed for payment. However, It is my understanding that an exception was made for you, per your request, and cash was accepted. Unfortunately the refund was not received in your expected time-frame. This situation has allowed us to learn from our errors and stay true to our policies and procedures. Although none of these fixed issues can provide you what you were looking for during your stay, "a worry-free trip", we want you to know we do care and sincerely apologize for your inconvenience and are hopeful you will find away to give us another try in the future. This truly is a great property to visit and we would like to have you come back and see us in a different light soon!
Wishing you the Best! - Tina P.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I stay in different hotels for work across the country. I have come to expect a certain level from any hotel brand as a standard. Clean and quiet room; friendly staff; free breakfast; plenty of towels; and free wifi are the standard. This particular location exceeded my expectations. The workers in particular went above and beyond. Girl by the name Katina, and a guy by the name Karl (he prefers Optimus Prime). All of the copies and scans that I needed were taken care of right away. This, along with meeting all of the other standards earned them an excellent review from me.

Room Tip: If you only need one bed, opt for the queen with the Jacuzzi in the room........
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Tina P, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Hi John H.! Thank you for taking the time to share this great feedback about our hotel and team members! Your response confirms that our guest relations goals are definitely being met, as we want to make sure all our guests leave feeling special and knowing that we care. Katina and Karl are wonderful assets to our hotel and they are two of our best employees. They are dedicated and committed to servicing our guests and their needs. We will be sure to share your comments with the team. We welcome you back when in the city of Roanoke, TX! Come and stay with us anytime! Sincerely,Tina P.- General Manager
Goshen, OH
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Nice place to stay .... comfortable, clean, and easy access to interstates.

This property is located up on a hill from TX114. You can see TMS from your window! Clean, secluded property, a Waffle House and 7/11 within walking distance and restaurants within a 15 min drive. Small pool and hot tub outdoors in back. Small lobby. Clean and welcoming. Ice and vending on each floor. Friendly staff.

Comfortable room: clean bathroom, plenty of towels, clean linens, bed was ok, small refrig, small microwave, kitchenette counter space with cabinet and a small sink, sliding glass door on closet needs to be replaced, low-backed couch isn't comfortable to sit on but is ok for lounging, plenty of desk work space with plenty of outlets, comfortable business deskchair. AC works fine. TV signal is below average with local channels, ESPN, a few children's channels, SPEED, several news channels, weather channel, TBS. Good internet signal and cell phone signal throughout property.

Fitness room is sufficient: clean, water available, TV, nice AC, univeral, treadmill, 2 bikes, elliptical .... some are a bit creaky but work fine.

Breakfast was yummy: cereals, breads, eggs/bacon/gravy/biscuits, waffles, juices, coffee/tea, fresh fruit, danish, attended regularly, clean tables. Coffee/hot tea service available all day in lobby.

Washing machine/dryer also available.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't have the outdoor flood lights shining up onto the building and into...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Tina P, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Well Hello! We are so grateful for you taking the time to provide not only excellent feedback about our property, but to personally display the name of our staff members who are helping to make a difference, truly brings this compliment to another level and will ensure these along with our other staff members continue to strive for excellence! Thank you for confirming that we are staying on the right track with servicing our guests. Definitely continue to stay with us when you are in the area. Please do continue providing us with feedback, as it helps us stay in line with what our travelers are wanting and is always appreciated! Best Wishes! General Manager
Trophy Club, Texas
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I live in the Metroplex, but frequently find a need to check into area hotels for business purposes. This was my first time visiting the Comfort Suites in Roanoke. Based on the overall amenities, price and friendliness of the hotel staff, this is now my hotel of choice. Karl, Katina and Laura at the front desk have been friendly, helpful and courteous. They have gone out of their way to provide any extras that I have requested, and have been knowledgeable about the area, local restaurants, etc. My room is clean, spacious and very pleasant to spend time in. The room is equipped with a mini-refrigerator and microwave, so convenient! Room layout is a king bed, combination sitting/ work area w/ office desk, high speed connection and office chair. High speed connection works extremely well, as opposed to even 5 star hotels I’ve stayed that have spotty connectivity issues or frequent timeouts. The only minor issue is that the cable TV package is fairly limited, but hey, I’m here to get work done. The hot breakfasts are definitely a step above most hotels “Continental breakfasts”.The pool is VERY clean and well kept (as opposed to some hotels where pool maintenance is a bit sketchy) and the hot tub is a real bonus after a day spent on my laptop.

I am still a guest here through tomorrow a.m., but foresee no issues with checkout. In the past, I have had incidents with bogus room charges or additional taxes/ service fees popping up on my credit card at a later date or upon checkout. However, this has happened only in hotels offering full meal service, gift shop amenities, etc. If this should occur w/ Comfort Suites, I will check back and amend my review. But based on my stay to date, I foresee nothing but smooth sailing.

My overall experience has been a cut above other hotels in this class, and CS is slightly less expensive than hotels closer to DFW by a few miles. I will be coming here again and again, and would highly recommend this Comfort Suites for business and personal travel. Hope this review helps!

Room Tip: None that I can think of. There was a large Classic Car Show group when I checked in, but no issues...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Tina P, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Thank you so very kindly for taking the time to provide feedback regarding both our amenities and staff performance. We have placed much focus on team trainings and renewing the environment of our property. Your review confirms that we are on the right path of keeping our guests happy. We welcome you back anytime, as well as your feedback! Wishing you many more enjoyable stays at our hotel! General Manager
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Staying here at the moment on a week long business trip. While it is by no means a 5 star luxury hotel, I think it's a fantastic bargain for what they charge. The staff members I've encountered have all been courteous and helpful, and there are many restaurants in Roanoke between a 5-10 minute drive away, and a 7-11 convenience store about a 2 minute drive away.

I did occasionally hear some traffic noise from nearby TX114, but it was not offensive and I quickly became used to it.

There's no cooked to order beakfast, but there are plentiful amounts of juice, coffee, hot and cold cereal, bagels, rolls, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, make your own waffles, yogurt, and more, so no excuse to go hungry in the morning.

Gym is a little small, with a treadmill, elliptical, stationary bikes, and universal weight machine, but I found plenty enough to get me sweating when I chose to.

Having to reauthorize yourself to the wi-fi connection every day was a little bit of a pain, but since the wi-fi is free, is a small price to pay.

In a bit of a secluded area, so you could feel safe walking or jogging in the area if you are inclined.

I would and will stay here again on my next trip to this area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel (odd numbers) overlook the surrounding countryside. May have a little...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MrVTX
We truly appreciate your honest feedback regarding your last stay at our hotel. We have been working very hard to ensure our guest's expectations are met, and it sounds like we were successful during your visit. The nearby restaurants have been a strong value add to our location and of course, the closeness to hwy 114, makes for an easy commute, so yes, these are all great values that we hope will continue assisting us in attracting more guests in the future. Since your last stay, we have added new gym equipment, which should make up for the size of our facility, so do give it a try the next time you are at the hotel. We look forward to your next visit and are grateful you took the time to share information about our hotel to others. Best Wishes! General Manager
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I've been staying here for almost a month now and love it! I was a bit skeptical about staying at a choice hotel brand, but this Comfort Suites has made me reconsider that. New equipment in the gym, outdoor pool and hot tub, quiet rooms, and fantastic managers reception every Tuesday and Wednesday. No cheap yellow tail here, they're serving Woodbridge, Clois Du Bois, etc.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Tina P, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
We are so very happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit at our hotel. It is our goal to ensure both short-term and longterm guests both receive a comfortable place to rest and yes....the manager reception seem to be a Big Hit for us! I will be sure to share your review to our staff, so they know their efforts definitely impact our guests views of the hotel! We welcome you back with open arms, the next time you are in the city! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about our property!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel because I had a business meeting in Roanake, and it was very close to where I needed to be. When I first arrived after driving 4 hours from Houston, I wanted to lay down, watch TV and relax. The air must have been turned off for a while because the temp in the room was stifling. Also, the TV didn't work. I called the front desk and was told the front desk girl was the only employee and could not come up to help me. I decided to use my Ipad instead of watch TV, and couldn't do that either because the wifi was not wokring. I called down once agan and was told to come get another key for a different room.

Good news! The TV and wifi worked in the second room. However, there was no hot water when I had a shower that evening. When I got into bed, I noticed there were 5 half sized pillows to sleep on. By half sized, I mean they were the size of a square throw pillow. So, it was not too comfortable of a night's sleep.

I will say the breakfast the next morning was decent. It tasted fine and there was plenty of it. The fact that it was free was the only reason I chose poor instead of terrible. I will not stay at this hotel next time I'm in the area. I'd rather drive a little further to stay in something better taken care of than to stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Kimberly W
Tina P, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Hello! I first want to thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, as it can only assist us in both training and improving our service. I completely empathize with the way you must feel after experiencing a not so comfortable night stay at our property. It is not our desire to hear that any of our guests are experiencing issues that are not able to be resolved during their stay. I did however, want to respond back to you and let you know that whenever business is slow within the market, to reduce our costs, we will turn off the a/c unit in a few rooms, this would be the reason your room may have felt a little stuffy. However, it is standard procedure to start units prior to guests checking in. It sounds like this room was not originally setup for a new guest's arrival. 2ndly, in regards to the TV and Wi-Fi giving you a little trouble, during the time you stayed, we were in the process of upgrading our technology systems, and I'm certain this may have unfortunately affected your internet capabilities and possibly our television reception, and finally, the pillows in the bed actually do retract to a standard size pillow; for presentation purposes, we tuck the cases tightly inside the fold to give a more modern style of look, as this is our brand standard, however, with a gentle pat it will unfold to your standard size pillow style. By hearing this information, I will be sure to get my staff trained in informing our guests how to open their pillows to a more comfortable fitting. I know you stated you did not see yourself returning to our hotel, however, I would like to request that you reconsider. We are newly renovated and recently have changed management, which we see to make for a better place for all guests to stay. Think about it, as we would love to have a 2nd chance to show you what we really can do! Thank you again for taking the time to post your feedback. Tina P. General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roanoke
Best Western Roanoke Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Roanoke/Northlake
Hampton Inn & Suites Trophy Club - Fort Worth North
Hampton Inn and Suites North Fort Worth - Alliance Airport
WoodSpring Suites Fort Worth Trophy Club
Denton Creek Inn
Denton Creek Inn
#4 of 4 in Roanoke

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!