“Bland, below average TexMex”
Review of Julio's

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Austin, texas
“Bland, below average TexMex”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stopped in with family for late lunch so the place was not busy. Service was still mediocre even though there was only one other family there. The tostados were very good, but the salsa was BLAND. We tried an array of different things as there were 7 of us, and found that everything was bland, tasteless. We like spicy, tasty Texmex, and this certainly did not fill the bill. We will not be back.

• Visited February 2014

Bellville, Texas
“Just ok food!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Julio's was the only restaurant open on fathers day in Rockdale so we decided to try it. The food was average - not the best mexican food I have ever had but it was ok. The staff was very friendly and the service was fast. I had the shrimp Caribbean which said it was shrimp wrapped in bacon. I have had this dish at other places and it is one of my favorites - but not at Julios. the shrimp was dry and the bacon was nasty. There was no flavor at all. The chips they serve are not made fresh - they must be packaged chips as they are thick and hard. I like the thin chips better - and I like them served warm. The green salsa was good! The tea was so sweet it actually made me cough. The queso was flavorless and had that nasty cheesy film on it. Next time we will just eat at Dairy Queen.

• Visited June 2014
“Absolutely horrible, how are they still in business??”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My fiancé had a great meal here a few years ago, so we tried it again when we were in Rockdale for work. It was probably one of the worst restaurant experiences of my life, and I eat out 2-3 times a week.
When we walked in, we were seated by a surly teenager in a football jersey. The majority of the tables were empty, but he tried to seat so close to the only large group in the place that we may as well have been sitting at their table.
Then we had to wait at least ten minutes for our waitress to approach our table & stare at us in silence until we gave her our drink order. After another ten minute wait, a different waitress who did not speak English brought us HALF of our drink order.Really? We both ordered the same thing! The ice water tasted like it came out of a fish tank & the Mexican martinis that we waited 20 minutes for were so bad that we couldn't drink them, several of the olives were mushy and tasted foul.
The food was just as bad, it was obviously frozen and tasted like it had been in a dirty freezer for months. We were both exhausted & it was getting late, so we choked down what we could.
When we finally got our check, it was not itemized, just a $45 total with no explanation.
We both woke up with stomach aches the next morning, how is this place still in business?!

• Visited October 2013
Austin, Texas
“Terrible food, not edible.”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

My family and I went to this restaurant. The food was terrible and made from frozen food. We got the steak, fried fish, tacos, and enchiladas. The service was okay. The atmosphere was poor. The restaurant seemed dirty and outdated. We won't be returning.

• Visited August 2013
“Best Tex mex in Rockdale”
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

We pass through Rockdale quite a bit but we never ate there. But we were meeting our grandkids there and decides to try Julio's. Their Queso was yummy. The tortilla chips were hot and fresh. Flautas and chalupas were great. Spicy beef entree was delicious. Shrimp and chicken good too.

Been to Julio's? Share your experiences!