“Wonderful! Great food with fresh ingredients and flavors.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fai Foo Cafe

Fai Foo Cafe
Ranked #49 of 95 Restaurants in Rockport
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Upper Michigan
“Wonderful! Great food with fresh ingredients and flavors.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We went to lunch on a Thursday at noon, and the place was empty at first. The menu is extensive, mixing Vietnamese and Thai selections. It was hard to decide, because everything sounded so good. But I ordered spring rolls for our appetizer, and my lunch was the "Fai Foo Special" plate (description said baby clams, sesame, cilantro). My husband ordered Spicy Lemongrass Shrimp with Rice. The waiter (owner) and I chatted a bit, and I mentioned I loved spicy food. He told me that'd make it as spicy as I wanted. The woman came out with soup, and it was the best thing I ever tasted! She told me her husband mentioned I liked spicy, and that her peppers came from her garden out back. The Tom Yum soap wasn't like anything I ever had- when I told her that, she smiled and said that she had gotten ideas from other restaurants in her travels and she combined all those ideas to make her perfect soup, with fresh ingredients. Then came the spring rolls. They tasted so fresh and the peanut sauce she brought out for them was awesome. Our meals were great also- perfect amount of spice with a depth of fresh flavor that I couldn't believe. Our total for this meal, with two ice teas (constant refills) was $28 with tax.
As we chatted with Kim (the owner) about this great meal, she mentioned that fishermen will bring in their catch to have her prepare it- "But they must come early as it has to marinate!". Since we are avid fishermen, we've already made plans to go back with redfish next week, and ask her to make something for us. She said to bring the fish by 11 AM and come for dinner.
They have beer and wine at a reasonable price, but you can also BYOB according to the menu.
Overall, this restaurant exceeded any expectations I had. Fresh food, custom prepared, "home cooked", and of great quality all combined with a friendly welcoming attitude by people proud of their food. The price was more than reasonable for what we received, and there are less expensive options with chicken or pork or beef.
I will try to right another review after we take in our own fish with a follow up of that.

• Visited February 2012

Texas
“Now this is Simply Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

Always looking for good Viet or Thai Food and this place Rocks. The owner is real personable and makes you feel welcome. As a solo traveler, I appreciate it. The indgredients are fresh and the menu has good choices. I had the Pho and the Vietnamese Eggrolls. The skins were crisp, not greasy.

Vale is outstanding and quality sets the bar higher. It is a little out of the way, but dang well worth it.

• Visited June 2011
3 Thank Hankhillpropane
Texas
“Love it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2010

I love Fai Foo Vietnamese restaurant. Kim, the owner is from Vietnam, is a very good chef and all of her food is authentic. She uses fresh herbs in lots of her dishes and has a varied menu. I especially like some of her vegetarian dishes and soups! And her health rating is always at the top. Give her a try. You just might be surprised at how good her food is, i.e. fresh and original!

5 Thank ocimum98