“Great Pier”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Rockport
San Antonio, Texas
“Great Pier”
Reviewed 24 October 2012

My husband and I have stayed several times and always enjoyed it. The rooms are decent and clean and the staff friendly. Great location too. I just wish there had been more fish around the last time because we often do well.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Robin M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Lubbock
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My wife and I booked this motel for a wedding we were to attend in Rockport. The reviews looked promising. However, once I arrived for check-in the problems began. After signing for the room I realized the charge was higher than expected. The wife of the owner claimed I requested a room with a kitchen and subsequently charged more. When I explained that information was incorrect she looked at her notes and said I was wrong. I the customer who booked the room was wrong! They had no other rooms and the entire tourist town was booked. I had no choice but to stay. Once in the room I quickly realized the hot and cold water were reversed in the shower by burning myself. I made complaints and was made to feel as though I were the problem. The final day of the stay my room lock malfunctioned. When I brought this to the owner's attention he asked how I broke his lock. Obviously I did not break the lock. However, for the rest of my stay I had to have the front desk open my room every time I needed in. At no time during my stay and multiple complaints did I get an offer for compensation. During the morning of my check-out the father of the owner was reluctant to unlock the office. I couldn't even check-out without frustration. A final word of warning: Do not pay upfront. Your credit card company will not be able to win a dispute if you pay up front.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, run for your life.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank BenJammin138
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We had a Very nice, and quite stay. They were very friendly, and helpful. We enjoyed the fishing peir. My wife felt safe. Our room was clean, and well stocked. We will stay here when we are back at the coast.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank 1CRH
Cleveland, Texas
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Stayed here on 8-17,18-2012 .
The rooms were clean.The tv was small and outdated.The noise outside was HORRIBLE.,the first night i had to call the front desk because kids were running around yelling and screaming around the pool area until 2am.The topper was Saturday night , a DRUNK woman stood outside our room on the balcony and was yelling at the top of her lungs ,for her man who apparentlly was catting around.This went on from 2am until 4am .We will NEVER stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jimmy R
Louisiana
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Lodging itself passable for a mom and pop, $110+ rate a little high for the level it is, the benches outside rooms make it tough to pass by on the way to your own room, especially if someone is sitting on one and you have bags, but good if you like passing through the sitter's smoke. But our main issue is that on successive days first me and then my husband heard one of the owners (first day the female, second day the male) loudly and unkindly chastise maids outside in common areas where they had to know that guests would hear. Highly unpleasant and perhaps undeserved since our room was clean plus every time we saw maids they were smiling and courteous. (We left them a nice tip.) A smaller issue was that the owners charge 25 cents for ice. We are constant travelers and have never ever seen that anywhere, thought it was a joke when another guest asked us if we had our quarter as we went with bucket to get ice. Seems chintzy and inhospitable. (Do they know they are in the hospitality industry?)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank papertravel
Pleasanton, Texas
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We went back the first week of June. As before we had a great time. So great we are going back in a couple of weeks. The pier was productive as was last time. My wife caught her personal best Red, a 25incher. I also caught my personal best Flounder, a 19in one. We met some nice people while down there. The owner was nice as always and took care of any needs if needed. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LG3NPleasanton
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Our family had a bad experience at another hotel and luckily Surfside had a suite available the nights we needed. The room was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The hotel also offered free wifi and the pool was very nice with a pool patio area with tables and chairs to relax. They have several picnic tables and benches throughout the property for guests to soak up the sun and breeze. I'm not a fisher, but the pier was very nice, my husband loved it and would stay out there all night.

Great experience overall! The owner, his family and the entire hotel staff were very friendly. I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends, I think it's a great choice.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family