“Inconsistent... not open”

Mermaids of Rockport
Price range: US$8 - US$30
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Open for dinner, featuring a fresh local fine dining, Gourmet burgers and daily featured items. Come here to enjoy a relaxed dinner. Fresh local seafood, Baja style tacos, gourmet burgers, and prime steaks. Feel free to bring the kids enjoy live music on weekends. Until we are in our new permanent location we are BYOB!
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We liked the food in this place but apparently they are having some problems. We tried to eat there twice but they weren't open. Locked out by the landlord...so the sticker said...any no A/C...beyond their control via the second sign/time. I do hope they make it. Food was good but portions small.

sammm0001, Owner at Mermaids of Rockport, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Yes, it was a nightmare trying to run a business with all that we had to put up with from the landlord, this is not the place to go into all of that, but I would like to let you know that we are now doing dinner at Ken's Diner until our new permanent location is available. It is not ideal, but we know that the things that we had to put up with at the old location will not be issues here. We are open Tuesday-Saturday from 5:30-10:00 with an expanded menu. we will not transfer our liquor license to this location as it is temporary, but fell free to BYOB and we will provide you with ice buckets and setups!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Awesome little restaurant, but Slow as can be!!! it took half hour to get water, they forgot about our drinks and one and a half hours to get food. The owners kept promising the food is worth the wait, so we waited.....and waited....and waited.... But It really wasn't worth the wait :( We really wanted to love it and over look the wait because it is such a cool atmosphere. But oh well! probably wont go back again :\

1  Thank Corey L
sammm0001, Owner at Mermaids of Rockport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Yes, at the old location we didn't actually have a kitchen. We had a closet with two toaster ovens, an electric skillet, a three compartment crockpot, and a George Forman grill, so if we were busy it took a while to get food out. Nothing we serve is pre-packaged, everything we serve is fresh and prepared to order. We will never have fastfood ticket times, but now with a real kitchen we are able to turn out the quality of food that I insist on much more quickly, and can actually do more than one order at a time.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

My husband and I took my sister to Rockport to experience the Texas beaches. We were hungry for dinner after a day out on the water and I saw that Tripadvisor gave it very good reviews. I called, made reservations and even asked if Brian would be playing that night. They said he would.

When we arrived I was pleasantly surprised at the interior décor, as the outside is very forgettable. It was gleaming nautical and very cozy. The beginning went well, the appetizers came out and we placed out dinner order.....and waited.....and waited....AND WAITED. It took over an hour to make grilled shrimp (which takes literally 3-4 minutes to cook), sushi (no explanation here) and some pulled pork quesadillas.

The server was very apologetic and was attentive, but even they can only do so much, but I did appreciate his efforts.

To make matters worse, when the food came it was minute and disappointing. My husband's "pulled pork" quesadillas were a joke. It was dinner and he got literally got a quesadilla the size of one tortilla and I have no idea where the pulled pork was.

My shrimp were well cooked but only came with a spoonful of grits. Again, this was dinner.

The watermelon crab salad was about 90% watermelon, 5% crab and 5% "other".

So disappointed. It had so much potential. Will never go back.

4  Thank Lv2rdtrip
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

We loved the place for dinner so much we came back for lunch two days later. The ribeye steak has fabulous flavor and is HUGE. Also love the steak sliders with really good freshly made potato salad. The owners and staff made us feel very welcome. The only possible downside is the wait for food - you will not get in and out quickly, but we were enjoying ourselves so much we didn't care. Great selection of wine and beer and her bread pudding is delicious!

1  Thank Jean L
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The sushi is terrific and the service was great. They make you feel like family with their genuine kindness and attitude. Even the soy sauce was perfected with jalapeños. I recommend the pepper dragon roll, delicious!