“Waterview rooms stink!”

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Rockport
Houston, Texas
“Waterview rooms stink!”
Reviewed 7 November 2010

We had reservations at the Lighthouse Inn for two nights: Nov 4 and Nov 5. Upon arrival, we were assigned Room 45 – a window overlooking the water. We checked in around 3PM. The temperature in that room was high. As a result, there was a foul, musty smell. Further examination revealed a coffee bar cabinet door falling off the hinges and mold on the inside of that door. We decided to request another room. Upon doing so, we were then assigned to room 37. There we found a similar foul, musty smell and warm room. As we were not staying but a couple of nights, we did not leave-against our better judgment. Later we also found the following in that room: a) a door frame that appeared rotten and painted over, b) mold on the crown molding in the bathroom, c) and ants parading all over the desk and bathroom as well as a dead roach under the bath sink cabinet. The outside temps were low....therefore, it was clear that on a sunny summer day, the A/C in these rooms could not possibly handle the humidity and heat. Friday night we ate out elsewhere and returned to have dessert in the hotel restaurant. The bar maid was our hostess. After not being waited on for some time, she comes to our table to tell us she forgot we were there....so we order cake and coffee. She proceeds to tell us that we could go get it at the coffee table, but that she didn’t know how good it would be since it was left over from that morning. We then ordered Cognac instead. We waited...finally a nice young man delivered our cake, but the bar maid was conversing with the bar patrons and did not bring our drinks for some time afterwards. Again, she said she had forgotten about us. She appeared either drunk herself or totally out of it for some other reason. Upon checkout on Saturday AM, when I told the desk attendant some of the problems we had encountered, she admitted that you had had problems with the smell, etc after water had entered the rooms along that side of the building. Apparently, the clean up after that event has not been appropriate.

Given the above, there is no way, given the state of these rooms and the quality of restaurant service, that we could ever recommend this place to anyone visiting Rockport.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 20 October 2010

My husband and I have been coming back to the Lighthouse Inn for years now. When life gets a bit stressful and we need to run away we come here. The decor is reminiscent of a long ago era and just looking at the water from one of the panoramic windows makes me smile and relax.. One of the things we look forward to at the Inn is the breakfast - a nice hot breakfast with a window on the bay - heaven!

Montgomery
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Wonderful atmosphere, especially the beautiful sunrise over the gulf during breakfast.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Huntsville, Texas
Reviewed 16 October 2010

My husband and I, along with two good friends, loved this place so much we debated on staying another day past our 3 days. Our rooms were 3rd floor, overlooking the bay, with private balcony. The Inn was clean, the staff were nice and helpful. My husband and I had Captains Suites and enjoyed the extra room. I think it is almost time management think of updating the rooms but they are still very nice. The views outside, the flowers and plants, grass manicured and pretty, pool area (with music) was fun, the pier was our favorite place (especially at night). We are planning my husband's parents anniversary party in May and will definitely reserve here. Loved Charlotte Plummer Restaurant (Jason, the waiter, the best)! Bring your camera to capture awesome sunrise and sunsets, etc. We can't wait to get back~

hilton head
Reviewed 15 October 2010

I have not been to Rockport since 1989. I was excited about staying at the Lighthouse, for the location and the rooms on the sea. I was with my handicap brother and we had two suites. I reserved one on the ocean and one on the pool side. (The pool side was to look at the parking lot!) Only get the first floor rooms. Because the hotel is on the water and location is great, the owners have not put much back into the hotel so the decor is rather dated, including the rooms. Beds were lumpy and bedding was rather rough. Service was ok. On Monday we had breakfast (don't get too excited! Hampton Inn type bkfst) We went out for the day and upon returning at 3:00 we returned to an unmade room. I called down-spoke to man with a distinct attitude and was told that housekeeping was still working and that they would get to me when they could. I asked when and was told again that they were still working and would get to me when they could. Finally around 4:30 they got to me. (two rooms!) I feel that when you are staying at a resort and are booked for many days we could have our rooms made up early and if there was a problem we would not have to put up with Mr. Attitude! Left a bad taste in ones mouth. To sum it up-if you want a great room, with dated interior, attitude from the staff, dirty rooms and over priced, by all means stay there. They are the only deal in town-they know it and the service is sub par and room rates are high.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 12 October 2010

This hotel will always have a special place in my heart. My husband and I stayed here on our wedding night. The room was spotless and so romantic. We had a balcony facing the water, it was wonderful to wake up in the morning as husband and wife for the first time, sit outside and enjoy the view! The staff were impecable and breakfast was very nice. I would recomend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lhogben
Orange, california, USA
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We stayed here in the first week of October, for a couple days midweek while we were on our "tour all of Texas" trip (we couldn't do all of it, but it was fun to try). We decided to experience a smaller town, only about 30 miles from Corpus Christi. To start of with the nice things, we stayed on the second floor, facing the beach. (make sure your room is before the middle section of the hotel, like for the 2nd floor, before the fitness center).
The view is amazing. I've lived in CA all my life and have never stayed at a hotel thisclose to the water. You are literally about 15 steps from the hotel to the edge of the water. The hotel has its own fishing pier, with a few rocking chairs to hang out. They even light some spots close to the pier at night. There is a LOT of fish congregating around those lights, its a pretty fantastic sight. The water in this part of Texas is very calm (its a bay) so there are no waves crashing and not too many mosquitos around unlike other parts of Texas (maybe the hotel had a pest repellent system? ) Very serene atmosphere for the most part. We woke up early every morning to see the sunrise over the horizon, it was beautiful! The breakfast they serve was pretty good, They had two hot dishes, one morning was bacon & eggs, the next was hush puppies and sausage, along with the usual bagels, waffles, cereals, o.j., apple juice, coffee, etc). They had a decently stocked bar for the evenings, and not overly expensive for the drinks, the bartender was very nice and chatted with the patrons. They also had laundry facilities which we had to use as we were in the middle of our Texas trip and were running low on clean clothes. This hotel is right in the middle of Rockports beach section of town, so there are quite a few restaurants to walk to. A couple blocks down is the Fulton Mansion, I loved seeing all the restored mansions in Texas and this is one of the prettiest in my opinion.
So what was the bad part? When we first checked in, it was a Wednesday, I had booked a pool view room with the opinion that if we didn't like that side of the hotel, I can always upgrade since I heard that Rockport was a sleepy little town and it was mid-week after all, and when we arrived, the parking lot was empty except for two other cars. We are a younger mixed race couple, and this part of Texas is mostly white, and though we didn't have a blatant or outright prejudice towards us, we definitely felt slighted in a few ways. The guy at the front desk gave us a pool room on the first floor, facing a garbage can, the pool couldn't even be seen from our room. I am not kidding, he gave us the dumpiest place in the whole hotel. After seeing the side of the hotel facing the bay, we decided to upgrade to face the beach, it was $30 a night more. The next room he gave us was a partial view of bay, on the second floor. But to the immediate right of the room and jutting out in plain sight was the fitness room...so we couldn't see to the right of the room, we only had the partial left view. So our thought was, oh my, is this happening to us? In an empty hotel (it was 4pm) This guy has given us the two worst rooms in the hotel right after another? When I called to ask for another room (I've had to switch rooms before but three times is ridiculous) he said to me "well, I'm going to have to bump someone"....really? In an empty hotel? Who was in that room that he needed to bump someone and how about the ten other rooms in that second flooor before the fitness rooom....where were all the people because we certainly didn't see anybody there. What would go thru your head if this happened to you? I don't know if he was being a rascist or hated young people. Take your pick.
But third time was the charm and our final hotel room had a spectacular view. Another thing, we didn't realize that this part of Texas is heavily dependent on fishing and most of the patrons were much older than us and were all into fishing. While we were gawking at the lighted sea at night on the pier, all the others were fishing off the pier. We were fish out of the water, definitely not in our element. On our last night, there was a group of people on the lawn facing the beach making a lot of noise, drinking and talking, well into midnight. It was pretty entertaining actually, seeing a bunch of drunk people (we had to take our entertainment wherever since we couldn't sleep anyways until they went to bed). I don't know if the hotel finally made them quiet down at midnight or if they passed out, we were on to better things by then.
Don't expect any retail stores in town to be open past 5pm...we went to their downtown around 5:30pm and nothing was open, except for one restaurant. We found a restaurant about a block down thats open until 10pm, its pretty decent, but nothing to write home to mother about. Also, since most people fish, the refrigerators in the rooms STINK. I couldn't figure out what the smell was the first night we were there and then that first morning, it hit me...people probably stored their fish in there. Then there is the laundry room on the second floor....oh ,it was the worst smelling thing in the hotel. I don't know if someone had scaled their fish in that room but it was wretched. But it was an easy fix for us, they had a third floor laundry room. And yes the internet connection was sketchy but we only tried it once and really, who wants to check the internet on a vacation? Overall, good and bad, it was a memorable stay, but I don't think I could recommend my family and friends there since they wouldn't fit in either. But to a bunch of sports fishing people? Definitely. This part of Texas seems downright awesome for the sport. Especially from Corpus Christi to Port Aransas to Lamar, all you see are fishermen. What a different culture than what I'm used to seeing, but it was amazing. I loved seeing this part of America!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Rockport - Fulton
#1 of 4 in Fulton
Hunt's Castle Hotel
Hunt's Castle Hotel
#16 of 20 in Rockport

Been to Lighthouse Inn at Aransas Bay? Share your experiences!