“Just OK”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stopped by and got a pound of sliced beef (little tiny pieces of meat) dry and got a tiny container of sauce (not enough for one sandwich much less four). We had hamburger buns and just wanted to finish them off. It was more like chopped.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We live in Rockport in the winter, and were excited to see a new place with a good beer selection (I'm a bit of a beer geek). It was called "Hatfield's and we went on 2/2 for our anniversary ate lunch/early dinner and a couple of beers.

The BBQ was ok. It wasn't bad, and it wasn't great. It's hard to get great BBQ on the coast, and this was about average. The prices seemed higher than some of the other BBQ places (like Stevie Lew's) for what you get, and the meat wasn't trimmed very well. It was sort of dry, with big pieces of fat in the middle, but it had "ok" flavor. Not particularly flavorful, but not bad in flavor either. The sides were alright, with a big slice of cheap white bread (very common in Rockport).

Our neighbors went on a different day, and proclaimed their BBQ and experience "terrible". Ours was better than theirs, but not what I'd consider very good.

The beer selection was better than anyplace else in Rockport- which isn't saying much but they did boast 14 different beers on tap and several bottles of craft beer. Nothing very special on tap (Shiner Bock, Budweiser, etc) but at least they had made the attempt.

The music and tv are BLASTING, and this was during the afternoon. We couldn't speak to each other, due to the high level of noise from the TV inside and the music through the speakers outside.

The service was "ok", nothing to complain about much but nothing really great either.

The whole experience: food, value, service, parking, etc- rated an "OK" from both of us. It was "meh" on the whole.

We spent about $45 (two plates and a total of 3 beers), and didn't splurge on the expensive smoked oysters due to the price.

Rockport is lacking in good restaurants with a good value, so new ones are always worth a try- but we won't be returning to this one.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

First of all they didn't have chicken. I got pulled pork instead and it was over smoked. The beans are way under seasoned, just bland. The potato salad was good. Also they charged for sauce at .75 a cup when I didn't ask for it. Will not be returning. This is the second time I gave them a try and every time the meat is over smoked. My friends food was not good either. She got a baked potato and it was gritty.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were coming back from a morning of fishing and wanted to stop and get a bite before heading home. I had read about this BBQ place before our trip so I knew I wanted to go by at some point over Labor Day weekend. Well- I am super glad we did! Not only was it some of the best BBQ I have ever had, but one of the best meals we have ever had in Rockport. (and believe me- we have eaten at a lot of places while in town.) We tried quite a few items on the menu between the five of us and all were great! Brisket, pulled pork, ribs, chopped brisket and several sides. Sadly there were out of sausage, but that does happen at great bbq joints- they run out of items. Just means we will order it next time. What I also really liked was the Pretzel Buns the sandwiches were served on- they held up to all the meat piled on the sandwiches. (And the sauce.) We happened to have a little bit of the sandwiches left over the next day and the bun was still intact and able to be eaten as a sandwich. Some buns just fall apart.
Additionally- while the BBQ is outstanding- the beer garden is a nice addition to the Rockport scene. We had some craft beers with lunch and they were all tasty. I also had some Root Beer because whenever there is a quality root beer on tap- I have to try it.
All and all go try it for yourself. I think you will really enjoy it--- I am just sad we did not make it back again later in the weekend. But we will tell all our friends who visit Rockport.

Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

This restaurant recently opened and the brisket is amazing!! Had chopped beef sandwiches and they are out of this world. I have been back three times and this is my go to BBQ place.

1  Thank X73