“Never Going Back”

Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Rockport
Houston, Texas
“Never Going Back”
Reviewed 15 July 2011

My family has been going to Hunts for YEARS. Usually, we enjoy our stay. Not anymore. Once management changed, it went downhill from there. The pier is wonderful, except every time we go, all of the lights are out.

Also, BED BUGS. Nasty. No one should have to sleep on a mattress with bed bugs.

Stove didn't work. Shower leaked. Sink Leaked. Towels are scratchy.

Susan at the front is AWESOME! Their BEST staff member! She deserves a raise. Every review on here (EVEN the bad ones) says that they love her.

I think the only reason why my family has been going back year after year is for sentimental reasons. This hotel used to be great, and we came twice every year (if not more). But after the management changed, it turned into a dump.

They re-painted the rocking chairs a cheap turquoise, and the pool doesn't feel clean.

I think the best thing is they give you free donuts in the morning! But should that really be top on your list for going to a hotel? Donuts for peat's sake! NO.

The professional photos are deceiving. Most likely taken 10 years ago.

Management/owners NEED to take responsibility for their CHEAP and NASTY hotel. You can't tell me that things in my review are wrong, like you have in others'. Because they aren't.

Clean up the place, maybe take some advise from former owners. Otherwise you're going to go out of business pretty soon...

Room Tip: No room is a
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank ClayOz
PAREDISE, Manager at Hunt's Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2011
Sir
First let me say that we do appreciate you as a customer. WE apologize for your inconvence that you had here on your last trip. You should have notified the front desk of these problems and they would have been taken care of by our maintenance department. If there is a problem we try to get it fixed as soon as possible. As far as bedbugs sir we have pest control that comes in once a month and sprays the whole property. Sir you are entitled to your opinion and the property is being fixed up a little at time. Again we do apologize for your problems when you was here .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I love the location its right on the water, the peir is extremely long we always catch fish, and my wife enjoys watching the dolphins that came right up to the peir at night. The stores are all in walking distance, its about 20 minutes from the beach, and about 30 minutes from corpus christi. I was also allowed to keep up with work since the hotel had wifi. The rooms are huge and we have well enough room for all our family in them.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank roygrist
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I love staying here everyone treats you like your at home. Thanks to Ken,Charlie and rest of staff. This is a perfect place to bring your family.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank 21458
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Stayed the weekend,had a great time. Fishing was wonderful,great new flood lights at pier.Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Redbird1952
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Went down to Rockport for a wedding and I found this hotel on line, It looked nice on the web page, but when you get there, it is not what it seems to be, So I will give you the pros and cons of this hotel.
Pros
right on the beach
has a 1500 foot ramp for fishing
The room was very cold
and the had a hot tub
------------------------------------------------------------
Cons:
Floor was sticky
The towels were not soft but really ragged and you could have gotten better at the local walmart
The hot tub was hot but no jets, they said it broke yesterday
The bathroom sinks were cracked and filled with putty
The elevators was dirty
and last but not least, I was really contemplating cancelling thne night beofre, but there is no 24 office.
So if I had the choice bewteen this hotle and another, I would choose the other

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank myanelli
Ma am
We truly apologize for your inconvience while you was at the Hunts. The linen here was brand new. So I do apologize for that. As for the hot tub we have no control over when your equipment brakes but it takes time to fix things like that. Again we truly apologize for the problems you had while you was here

Travellers are raving about these Rockport hotels

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2011

My family and I enjoyed our stay. We had an amazing fourth of july, the service was excellent and the lady at the front desk was marvalous and the activities director was a blast; we had an amazing time with karaokee and kayaking. My wife and I were enjoying our time in the pool and everything was fine until a heavyset male employee began flirting with my 15 year old daughter and her friend. For the rest of our stay we did not let the girls leave the room without supervison. I was very uncomfortable with the situation and he was the only unenthusiastic employee at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Matt78990
Floresville, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Having stayed in many establishments across the Texas Gulf coast, Hunt’s Castle was among one of the poorest properties (cabin side not the hotel) we have ever vacationed. The two room cabin was not clean, the floors were all covered with sand and each of the bed spreads needed to be replaced. Not to mention that I did not want to pull out my portable ultra violet light and use it on the beds for one reason or another. We were tempted to call the local building inspector to see if these buildings would pass code compliance, rest assured these buildings were not up to code. No lighting fixtures, no seal around one of the A/C units, two entry ways not at standard height or width and a massive bug infestation. Also, the front room A/C unit needs to be replaced because it does not keep the room at a comfortable temperature in the middle of July. A fan was provided but did not do the job during the afternoon hours, where you were forced to go into the back bedroom to get cool. There were many other faults about this property just not enough room to list them all. On the positive side. The service was above exceptional. As many other establishments provided adequate kitchen amenities this one did not, however management was quick to resolve the situation. Also, the maids provided excellent service by providing us with clean towels and sheets as requested. As an avid fisherman the lighted pier was boasted as the longest one in distance within the Rockport area with many benches and large flood lights for night fishing was a welcomed benefit. Furthermore, the new thatched picnic benches, with standing BBQ pits and live entertainment at night was wonderful. The location of this establishment was also excellent, within walking or biking distance of downtown Rockport and the many shops. Very family orientated 5 stars in that area. In closing I agree that a major renovation of the cabins is in order the investment would pay off two fold. And for future vacationers if you’re looking for a place to fish and flop this is the place for you. Again, I digress this review was not based on the hotel part of the property and would probably go back and check out one of the kitchenette suites. Rated over 3 stars.

Room Tip: Future vacationers if you’re looking for a place to fish and flop this is the place for you.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pasqual65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Lighthouse Inn at Aransas Bay
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rockport / Bay View
La Quinta Inn & Suites Rockport - Fulton
Hampton Inn & Suites Rockport - Fulton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Rockport
Econo Lodge Inn by the Bay

Been to Hunt's Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!