“In a word - FRESH!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We live in Round Rock and have lunch here about once a month and have never had a bad meal. Sorry, but you will probably be hearing the word "fresh" a lot in this review. For lunch they serve sandwiches, salads, and fresh home made soup. You only have one choice of bread for the sandwiches - sourdough, but these are individual rolls that are baked fresh every morning. They even make a smaller version of the roll for 1/2 sandwiches. The bread has a slightly sweet taste, and are addicting. When we go for a late lunch sometimes we will buy some of the rolls to take home. The salads are made with fresh field greens (not iceburg or romaine), and are great. He also makes one or two fresh soups everyday. OK, I think that is enough fresh.

I usually get a soup and 1/2 sandwich combo, or a salad. All the sandwiches are good, but my favorite is the tuna, which is funny because I rarely eat a tuna sandwich at home. I think it is because it reminds me of my mom's with a little bits of finely chopped onion and pickles. My wife and I have had several different sandwiches, salads, and soups and they are all great. They also serve a couple of different burgers, but we have not tried them yet.

They also serve breakfast in the mornings, and all day Sunday. We went on a Sunday once and the Eggs Benedict was the best I ever had with great fresh hollandaise sause. My wife had the "3 pancake short stack" - they were hugh and thick, but still fluffy. I helped her a little, but we still only finished half.

I have seen a few complaints about service on some of the reviews. I can say we have never had bad service here. Sometimes when it is busy it can take awhile to get your food, but most of the customers seem to understand this. Business people usually do a little work on their laptop (free wifi is available), and friends catch up with conversation. They will continue to fill your glasses, and never make you feel like you have to leave. I have seen complaints that they did not get their bill in a timely manner, you usually have to ask for it, since they do not want you to think they are asking you to leave. Most of the locals know that you don't even get a check - you just go up to the front counter where they will have your bill and pay there.

If you have never been you should definatly try this place out. Check out their web site for more information, and times/days they are open. Just search on Round Rock Cafe.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Worst place for service I've ever been. Asked for a turkey sandwich without bacon and when it came out it had bacon...sent it back, two seconds later another waitress comes out saying, "sandwich comes that way you will have to pay for it." First off we didn't know you could not order it without bacon had we known we would have ordered something else, second we never said we were not going to pay for it and lastly, when we told the manager what occurred he acted as if it was our fault. He did remove the meal off our ticket only after asking the waitress if it was true that we ordered it without bacon. I wanted to tell him please don't do me any favors...it was only 6 bucks...it won't break the bank!! The fact of the matter is poor customer service, could have been handled better. This is how you lose business. We live in the area and trust me I will tell everyone I know about our horrible experience.

3  Thank Rosie G
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This place needs to look at their competition and improve their product.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

My wife and I were headed to the Round Rock area today and read the TA reviews on the Round Rock Cafe. Given the disparate reviews we decided we needed to try it to see how accurate the reviews are.

We had a wonderful lunch. Were met at the door by one of the owners (maybe manager?) and told to choose any table we wanted. They have 3 rooms in a small house, and an outside eating area (due to 100+ weather we stayed inside). Received very good iced tea immediately, along with menus. Order taken when we were ready.

My wife had the house cheeseburger soup which was very good, and tasted just like a cheeseburger. Soup is served with a small home made roll. She also had 1/2 Jerked Chicken sandwich. It was so good she only let me have one small piece of meat, which was perfectly seasoned, spicy and slightly hot as an undertone.

I had the house tomato basil soup, which was good, though a little light on the basil flavor and it had a little sharpness to it. Also had the daily special, which was an Italian sandwich: Mortadella and pepperoni with provolone cheese in a home made bun, cooked in a panini grill. Perfectly cooked, with toasted outside, melted inside. Seemed to have some type of pesto also, though I am not sure just what it was. Would definitely order it again.

For dessert we shared home made chocolate chocolate chip ice cream. It was very good, satisfactory for a chocoholic, though it had little crystals of ice in it.

Service was attentive and quick, though it took a while for them to make the actual meal, since it is all made to order. After the meal the service was slow to get the check.

We will certainly return, and will invite another couple who also enjoy finding small, out of the way, local places to eat.

Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

Don't go- the site on trip advisor is misleading- not part of Round Rock Donuts!

1  Thank Gmom64